main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Does Rose survive

Poll closed Dec 2, 2019.
  1. Rose survives the film

64.7%
  2. Rose dies early on

16.9%
  3. Rose dies late in the film

3.7%
  4. Rose saves the day

14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003

After seeing TLJ you never know what they will do. However, I really think Reylo is unlikely. I just cannot see Disney hooking Rey up with somebody who killed their father, let alone an icon like Han Solo.

cut-of-space likes this.
  2. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    @DARTHSHAME Yeah, TLJ set the bar really low for me. Hopefully you're correct, but I don't trust them to get even the most basic things right anymore. A trainwreck like Reylo isn't impossible, and that alone is a scary thought.

Blastaar likes this.
  3. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Well don't forget. Now since it's revealed Luke never had children. That means he followed in his mentors, Kenobi and Yoda's path.

So if Rey follows Luke's path, will she also end up single like Luke, Kenobi and Yoda did?

4. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    @cerealbox Hmm... I'm ok with Rey being single for life, it makes sense. :p
    It's a million times better than a love triangle or Reylo anyways. She doesn't need a love interest, since all the other jedi didn't either it's only fair. I loved Finn/Rey from the start but I'm willing to let go of it, so long as they make the story satisfying. And in that scenario Finn/Rose would be a great pairing, a romantic path would be positive for both of them

5. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    So can we talk about the actual topic Kelly Marie Tran, or are we going to continue to talk about other topics that have their own threads?

Rose Tico is someone I look forward to filling in her back story with the new novels; her bond with her older sister especially is intriguing "Bomber Command" helps in explaining there connection.

6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I'm curious on how old Rose is.

TFA supplementary material told us Poe, Kylo, Finn and Rey's ages

oncafar likes this.
  7. Boski

Boski Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 19, 2005
    I was OK with her character right up to the point when she almost killed Finn and seriously injured herself in the process. Not Kelly Marie Tran's fault, I think she gave the part her all, but after that I'm fine with her character having a limited role (if any) in the next movie.

8. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Wish she and Finn had more to do but I thought Rose was great. She never got her big moment though.

9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Except when she saved Finn. I think that was her big moment.

10. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    She “saved” the guy who was gonna save everyone else. And then kissed him as the Resistance is being obliterated in the background. Wouldn’t call that her big moment.

11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think it was pretty clear that his plan wasn't going to work. Poe tells him it's too late and the cannon was already activated. We see Finn's speeder getting melted to bits. He would been like a bug flying into a bug zapper.

12. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Do people reallly think when they watch movies? Finn's plan wasn't going to work, that's the BASIC of this scene. She saved him. This TLJ bashing is getting soooooo ridiculous...

13. Boski

May 19, 2005
    Are we sure Finn's plan wasn't going to work? She could have killed him and herself (ends up hurting herself severely) in the process of her little stunt. Lets also not forget that they crashed not 20 yards away from the First Order. But some how Finn was able to drag her all the way back without any problems. I'm not bashing the movie but this scene makes very little sense.

14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah. That's also the point of Rose's little speech after. "...not kill what we hate..." Finn was pretty much blinded by hate, and was willing to sacrifice himself, whether it worked or not. Rose and Poe saw it would fail, and Rose intervened. Finn couldn't see that because he was so focused on not letting the FO win.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    yes
    yes we're sure of this because it's fiction and the consequences of an action are not decided witha a dice but by the writer of the movie. So obviously what this scene conveys is Finn would have sacrificed himself for nothing. Could he have suceeded? on the basis that this weapon, planet, ship, characters dont exist,.RJs answer is no we wouldnt have, thanks Rose for saving him.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  16. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I didn't love or hate her. I felt bad for her when her sister passed. But she didn't do too much for me besides at the end with her great line and saving Finn. I don't see why she wouldn't be in 9. I don't think it's a Jar Jar situation where people are going to hate her so much that she has to be removed. I don't know if I see her having a bigger role in 9 since I feel like the other new characters need more time for their stories.

17. Boski

May 19, 2005
    So the scene makes sense because the writer wrote it that way?

18. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    On the one hand I really like Rose as a character, on the other hand, that last scene needed work. A lot of work Finn wasn't the risk taker like that, he's not an idiot. I don't know if there was a way to make that moment work. On the other hand, Kelly is a great actress and is adorable and seeing her character get excited the way she does about the horses and later how she was able to make choices that Finn could not shows that shes a lot more mature then him.

BlurryUFOs and panki like this.
  19. FarEasterling

FarEasterling Jedi Master star 1

Aug 18, 2011
    And I would prefer to see Paige Tico kicking around instead of Rose. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Veronica_Ngo . All the lines, tears and acting would remain the same, I guess. Eliminate strong accents, or you'll be dispatched as a gunner.

20. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

Sep 16, 2015
    basically...yes...as i said SW was never a realistic saga despite the "lived in" feel. If you think this scene doesnt make sense then a lot of scenes in every other SW donr make sense neither.

I just dont get this current need for nipticking/realism. It's a fantasy movie, with "heroic" characters..if you start overthinking it then it loses all its magic... "why cant stormtroopers shoot correctly when they're firung at our heroes" etc...SW has always been like this.

Darkspellmaster and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  21. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Because she's better looking? A bit harsh.

22. FarEasterling

Aug 18, 2011
    Agree, a bit harsh. The forum currents moods indoctrinate accordingly. Must resist.

23. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    I really loved her! The only thing I wasn't too fond of was the kiss since Finn wasn't into her and the entire situation was weird. But I appreciated how Rose gave Finn incredibly normal moments, such as interactions with someone who didn't really gel with him but that doesn't mean they have to be enemies. Or having incredibly awkward moments like the kiss. I don't think they'll be going for a love triangle with Finn/Rey/Rose since I don't think they were setting up a romance with Finn and Rose at all, but rather created a foil for Finn to help him see that there's more to living than hating the First Order and giving him these slice of life moments. The story with Rose has made me convinced we're going to get an endgame Finn/Poe or Finn/Rey since Rose's crush and kiss put Finn into a romantic context we haven't really seen so far.

My personal hopes for Rose is for her to become friends with Rey. I really want Rey to get a female friend and the more I think about them, the more I realize how they would compliment each other. Rose strikes me as the type who'd love to compliment her friends and make sure they know Rose loves having them in her life. I think Rey would secretly really love it.I hope Rose doesn't getting written out of IX.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  24. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
  25. FarEasterling

Aug 18, 2011
    No, I didn't know that, and about dissatisfaction with her acting as well. If I knew, I would't post the message. Likewise, I didn't comment anything on Snoke, because he was partly made after Hefner's semblance, who recently died. Still, Paige Tico looks, well, better and would add promo cash to TLJ, if they did her, say, a mute character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.