main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Solo box-office discussion

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by dolphin, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Hell yeah, that's what I'm hoping for!
    Can't wait for that teaser.

2. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    A big variable. I do not want my negative thoughts on TLJ to cloud my expectations on Solo.

My gut instinct is that it will make slightly less than Rogue One. It will have some strong competition at the box office and the general enthusiasm for this film is lower than previous films.

3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    For get it this movie is going to get clobbered. Looking at maybe $45 million opening weekend here.

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Avenger will own it and trash this movie, followed by Jurassic world 2.

5. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Lol, if Rogue One can make $500 million plus domestically, Solo is a guaranteed box office hit. I swear, Star Wars "fans" are some of the most negative people you can ever meet. You'd think a fan would be excited for a new SW movie, but then you remember SW fans hate everything SW.

6. commander cody

commander cody Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2014
    Star Wars fans and general audience will shell out to see this movie. It will have a strong opening weekend, but won't have the legs others had. I'll guess 140 million opening weekend domestically.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Ahh, good god. Here we go. After TLJ the guttertrash think they smell blood.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I didn't click on it, BTW.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I saw it earlier today, and made that mistake. Nobody with any credibility is running with it.

12. The Wagonmaster

The Wagonmaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2017
    But even if this film is the next Gone with the Wind, (Another troubled production that fired directors during production) I can't imagine being excited for much else in Star Wars future. The trailer will determine whether or not I'll see Solo - and that's due in large part to my confidence in Kasdan and Howard- but in either scenario I probably won't see another Star Wars film in my lifetime.

Edited for off-topic ranting.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2017
  13. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    uhhh... okay. If you're pretty much done with Star Wars, then what the hell are you doing here?

Anyway, back to the important stuff. I think SOLO will do well in the box office but I don't think it'll beat Infinity War. I have a feeling it'll beat Jurassic World 2 though, I hope I'm right.

14. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    With the competition I'm predicting a 400-500 million US domestic total. Potentially under 1 billion Worldwide. It'll be the lowest grossing for sure. I think they could make more money in December for sure, but Disney has other assets to protect, and frankly I think they just want this one done and over with.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Being honest here a great box office haul for this movie would be 700 million

Darth Nerdling and Ricardo Funes like this.
  16. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    @The Wagonmaster This is a box office thread, not a thread for rants regarding "social engineering".

17. TheFastJedi

TheFastJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2017
    I'm assuming you are talking worldwide when you say $700M, and agreed that expectations for Solo need to be realistic (as both an anthology and the 4th SW movie in 4 years). Given the performance of Rogue One, one would think it should still do over $400M in the US. Rogue One did 50.4% in the US and 49.6% foreign. 50/50 would still imply over $800M worldwide. Film quality and critical reviews could be more important in this one than some previous SW films given the production issues.

Is Solo definitely staying in May 2018? We are getting close enough to that date where if Disney planned to move it, one assumes they would be doing it by now. I know some thought Disney might move it to December to continue the new trend of SW around Christmas (especially since Episode 9 got moved to December 2019), though I know some fans would like to see a return to the May release schedule, at least for some films. Releasing it in May vs December could obviously impact the box office total.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ya I meant worldwide

19. Trinu 3.0

Trinu 3.0 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2017
    This is what I was hoping.
    I believe a film every 12 months gives the fans (and the GP) time to miss the universe and whatnot.

We are in the middle of the TLJ craze/backlash and we're about to get a trailer where the Falcon is obviously going to appear.
    People are gonna go "Ugggg, more?" for sure.

Also, May is such a random month to release films. School isn't even over!
    The only way I'd say May releases would work is if they were after 1.5 years after the previous film or something, but FIVE months after seems a bit like stretching it too much.

Still, I'm sure the film will get (at least) to 700m and Disney will be happy with it.
    Not everything has to be counted in billions.

20. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Even AOTC adjusts to $464mil but I see $330-$370m for this. The franchise has taken a hit (unjustifiably so in my opinion).

--------------------
    I wish Solo had that May 4th slot and not Avengers. Avengers will have 3 weekends to itself while Solo will just have one before Deadpool 2 comes out. Then Incredibles 2 two weeks after that. (all of these films, Avengers, Solo, Deadpool, Incredibles are disney flicks. lol)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=bydate&release=all&date=2018-06-01&showweeks=5&p=.htm

SOLO NEEDS TO MOVE TO DEC 2018

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Sounds like Howard reshot most of Solo. I bet it’s going to be a great film that shuts the haters up.

22. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    Solo a Star Wars story should move to December 1st as there is an open gap between November 21st with the release of Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck it Ralph 2 and The Woman of Marwen, while the next big release is Mortal Engines and Spider Man: Into the Spider-Verse on December 14th. The December 1st release date will enable Solo the chance to perform at its very best with no real competitors at that time frame.

Solo at May 25th May will be a very bad move as it will be absolutely packed with Deadpool 2 out in a week's time with Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and The Incredibles 2 coming out right after. If Disney really wants to keep the May slot for Solo, it needs to move a week earlier to May 18th to give it space to breath.

I don't mind for Solo to be released in May but it will be an absolutely rush for the marketing team to make Solo stand out against the competition, and it might be trumped in terms of awareness as Avengers Infinity War will be out just a few weeks before.

I don't have doubts regarding the quality as I am looking forward for this one. :)

23. Trinu 3.0

Trinu 3.0 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2017
    But wouldn't a date change signal "We're in trouble" even more?
    That's the memory I have of other big films like Jupiter Ascending and the like.

The thing is that we have seen literally NOTHING of this film while other films like Fantastic Beasts 2 and The Nutcracker (coming in November) are already starting promotions.

I think the possibility of changing it is on Disney's table.
    And I really hope they announce it soon and drop the trailer right after to turn the disappointment into excitement.

24. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Since this is still star wars and its still a pretty big cash cow i could see han breaking at least 800.

My guess is the film may end up decisive but overall large audiences will watch the movie out pure curiosity.

Although we are in a time where even though the prequels are indecisive i think an obi wan movie would actually make more then Solo may.

25. ForcePushUp

ForcePushUp Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 19, 2016
    The fact that Disney is releasing this movie at the same time as Avengers: Infinity Wars isn't a good sign.

It's almost like they want to sweep it under the rug and move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.