main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to The Last Jedi - The Rebel Files by Daniel Wallace (Canon too!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Apr 17, 2017.

1. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012

I felt the same way when I first saw Ord Pardron mentioned in the aforementioned map in the Imperial Handbook. That planet in particular has always stood out to me since I was first introduced to the EU by The Last Command (I read TTT in a weird order based on what happened to be available at garage sales). Even ignoring it, I'm over the moon that so many of those others Legends worlds with a long, rich history of supporting the Rebellion were recanonised.

Sadly not. It's the sole exception, with every other planet placed on the map. The map itself and the planets listed on it are from an in-universe document which appears to be extremely early GCW. (The actual timeline placement is unclear. The chapters are in chronological order and the map appears in the first, which covers the earliest rebellion prior to Scarif, but we know from Lost Stars that D'Qar was only scouted by the Rebels post-Hoth). Mirrin goes unmentioned on the document itself, and is only referenced in the handwritten annotation by Ematt.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, at least it gets referenced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Thanks for posting this, I really appreciated it.

I thought this was an interesting moment for Leia, that double whammy of not saving the people she loves. In my original manuscript that led into a bit where Leia is angry at the world & a tone-deaf Mon Mothma tries to comfort her with, “I know what you’re going through,” which of course makes things exponentially worse. Hendri Underholt, whose EQ is much better than Mon Mothma’s, has to teach her boss how to smooth things over.

I liked it but it was all pretty tangential, so it had to go when my manuscript came in way too long.

AV-6R7, jSarek, TheRedBlade and 4 others like this.
  4. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Honestly, the most shocking connection I found in the book was a connection to the little Rogue One: Recon 360 video they released before the movie came out. Those Legends sourcebooks are really well regarded by old fans, but I didn't think anyone even knew about Recon.

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    What connection is that? I may have missed it.

--Adm. Nick

6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    A note mentioning how scans from one of their X-wing scouts that encountered the Death Star was combined with information gathered at Scariff to form their current visual.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  7. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    I got this for Christmas, and I fell in love with this book right away. All the old-school WEG references made me ridiculously happy, and "grumpy old fish" Ackbar's annotations made me grin. I read the entire book in one sitting, and it kept me enthralled.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  8. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Credit where it's due--I think Jason Fry was the first to make this reference in his Rebel Dossier book, and as I recall Leland Chee in the Lucasfilm Story Group pushed for coverage of this incident in his notes on my outline. So Rogue One: Recon 360 has friends in high places!

I'm glad to hear this, as one of the things we stressed about early on was whether the "scrapbook" approach would come across as too fragmented to function as a coherent or compelling narrative.

9. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    Forbidden Planet now have the book listed for an early May release in the UK. Just the book though - no sign of the deluxe edition at the moment.

Only four more months to wait!

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I just love how Holdo referenced the "bunkbusters" in The Rebel Files before we know that the cruiser Ninka was going to be a Free Virgillia-class Bunkerbuster corvette. I'm guessing another fantastic collaboration between Dan & Jason. ;)

--Adm. Nick

11. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    So I want to know:

1) stuff relating to the Battle of Atollon
    2) stuff relating to the Battle of Scarif
    3) stuff relating to the Battle of Yavin
    4) stuff relating to the Battle of Vrogas Vas
    5) stuff relating to the Battle of Hoth
    6) stuff relating to the Battle of Endor

12. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    @Dan Wallace Any story to the names of the Hammerhead corvettes - Lightmaker, Amity's Arrow and Duchess Senna - and which ones are P1, P2 and P3 and which one was the unlucky victim of the Battle of Atollon?

13. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    In most cases I'd say the book more so focuses on the lead up/aftermath of battles instead of the battles themselves. (appropriate given it's nature as a collection of in-universe documents). But to answer your questions:

1) Nothing on Atollon - I've heard that timing prevented Atollon from being in On The Front Lines, presumably that was the case here as well.

2) The book is broken up into 4 chapters, and most of Chapter 2 is focused on the lead up to the events of Rouge One. We get reports on the make up of the Alliance Fleet at that time, the ground troops of Rouge One, and Alliance intel on Scarif, ect.

3) We get info on the Yavin base (including the wildlife), and get to see reports of Rebels generals analyzing the Death Star plans, the tactical situation of the upcoming Battle of Yavin, and even a transcript of the war room during the battle. Some good stuff. Also we see how people reacted in the aftermath of the battle.

4) We get a brief report on Vrogas Vas, mostly the order from Mothma saying to capture or kill Vader, and the after action report that states what a cluster nerf the battle was.

5) Lots of stuff on Hoth. It's discovery, layout of the base, report of the battle (with Poe amusingly geeking out over Wedge describing how to take down an AT-AT), and the aftermath (notably Mothma addressing the galaxy, and Senator Jebel being more concerned over the loss of the Ion Canon than, you know, all the people who died).

6) The book actually ends right before Endor, with an address from Mothma to the troops, but we get the intel reports that informed the Rebels of the second Death Star, and a report on the ships they have available for the upcoming battle.

SWpants likes this.
  14. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Anything new or specific?

15. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    The book has so many tidbits I feel like I could spend all day listing them. But here are a couple more:

Hoth was scouted by a Gigoran who described it's weather as "brisk".

Lando got a group of Alderaanian exiles in DP-20s to join the battle of Endor.

It goes into a lot of detail about "Operation Ringbreaker", aka the plan to attack Kuat from Twilight Company.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  16. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Please tidbits are awesome :). I probably won't be able to afford the book for at least six months.

17. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    Is there anything on the hierarchy of the Alliance and Empire ?

18. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Quite a bit about the Alliance hierarchy. It basically is identical to the command structure we see in Legends, as first established in the stellar WEG Rebel Alliance Sourcebook. Just updated with name of canon character at the time of Rogue One.

--Adm. Nick

Revanfan1 and Noash_Retrac like this.
  19. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Can someone upload the map of Rebel bases? I’m a sucker for cartography.

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It's not fair to upload a map for a recently released product (I'm always torn about sharing stuff online, as it can hurt the authors of these works and encourage people to not buy them. Which in turn means we get fewer books in the future), but there are good summaries of the world's listed online. I'd have to dig back a it into my Endor to Jakku thread, but I believe I posted an overview of what worlds were listed under each category.

--Adm. Nick

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Got the edition of Rebel Files from Amazon when I got home from work. Still going through it, but the Death Star projector is quite beautiful. Kudos Dan! =D=

I'll have some thoughts at a later time, once I've digested it. Full warning, though: it'll probably be how it relates to the EU. ;)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You'll find that there are some fun nods/recanonizing of EU stuff, plus the entire Rebel Alliance organizational structure is gonna be very familiar to fans of the old WEG guides.

--Adm. Nick