main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Does Lucasfilm Need New Leadership?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Rickleo123, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    Whether we like it or not, Abrams we will be given one more chance to redeem himself in the eyes of Star Wars fans. By the end of Episode IX he will either be praised as the savior of the Star Wars universe, or doomed as the destroyer of the Star Wars universe, for all time.:emperor:

anakinfan edit: It was never OK to use the other term in the context of Lucas and childhoods and it’s not OK here either.

2. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    How so? Aside from a minority of disgruntled fans TFA was well recieved by fans, the general audience and critics alike. You seem to be projecting your own personal opinions on the entire fanbase, resulting in a pretty biased conclusion.

3. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I don't understand what Abrams has to be redeemed for? Sure there will always be dissenters for any movie, but he's made a SW film that seems to be mainly praised rather than derided in the media. It seems to have been well received on the surface and hes brought it in as the second highest grossing film of all time as well.

DrDre and Martoto77 like this.
  4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The trailer for TLJ is pretty much an endorsement of the previous movie. It tells us the movie will exhaustively address all the questions thrown up by TFA. It would have appeared that they were starting completely anew with this group of characters if anybody involved so far thought there was things to atone for or sweep under the carpet about the first movie in this trilogy.

DrDre and Jacques who like this.
  5. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly though I suspect that Abrams involvement was probably mandated from on high by Disney as a way of safely managing the investment, basically "come over and do your Trek formula for us" as a fool proof way of avoiding any failure.

Besides that I think we need to wait a bit longer, I mean there was a ton of fuss around reshoots for Rogue One but when it came down to it I think a lot of people agree that the end result was highly successful and showed a good deal of ambition not just throwing in action/comedy for the sake of it.

6. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    What's the JJ Trek formula?

As for fool proof ways of avoiding failure. Episode VII was never going to be a financial failure. So if they were avoiding failure by hiring JJ then it had to have been critical failure. And avoiding giving the rest of the saga nowhere to go to or from.

7. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

Safe, nostalgia driven and fast paced action storytelling riddled with plot holes and internal character logic issues.

xezene, ANGRY_LEIA and Subtext Mining like this.
  8. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    TFA was riddled with plot holes? Are we really doing this?

Tython Awakening and Martoto77 like this.
  9. Rickleo123

May 20, 2016

Yes it was like all of JJ's films, which is why I responded with that. Look at Into Darkness or his MI films. But no I'm not going into it.... theres the TFA forum for that ;)

10. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    Okay, except there aren't plot holes in TFA. No major ones that I can think of, at the very least.

AndyLGR and Krueger like this.
  11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah. It’s actually a very simple and light film in the story department. I seriously cannot think of even one plot hole.

AndyLGR likes this.
  12. Rickleo123

May 20, 2016
    Are you joking or trolling? R2-D2 magically turning on at the exact right moment that plot needed him. Poe turning up in act 3 with zero explanation. Rey thinks the force is a myth yet with zero training has every force power imaginable. Starkiller entire conception makes zero sense. Blowing it up made ever less sense. Han coincidently stumbling into the Millennium Falcon because reasons.

Darth_Pevra, eko32eko7 and ANGRY_LEIA like this.
  13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I was doing neither. A lot of what you put there aren't plot holes, they're just fanboy message board complaints. People get the two confused far too often. The only one I sort of agree with is Poe.

AndyLGR and Outsourced like this.
  14. After watch The Last Jedi yes we need a new leadership

15. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    None of these are plot holes. You are bringing up plot conveniences, which were already a frequent occurrence in SW films even before TFA. Also, Han states that he was picking up the Falcon on his ships radar, if I remember right.

16. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    Two weeks ago I would've said of course not. After TLJ: yes, absolutely.

TripleZero, xezene and lookameatbag like this.
  17. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Im curious. Its very hard to say what have led them to all the decisions which resulted in TLJ.

Maybe it was they're approach to avoid Fatigue in the Franchise. Let every Movie every year feel diffrent from one another...

Maybe LFL was affraid to admit that they have Problems with TLJ too. That they are just overchallenged with the creative Process.
    In comparrison to R1, 7 and 8 felt kinda empty. R1 is surrounded by rich Canon Material they could choose from and put into the Movie.

In the long run, i think LFL needs someone with a Vision for all the possible Storys to come. The Star Wars Universe needs a Storyteller, not a Producer.

Lt. Hija, Darth Droid and xezene like this.
  18. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Yes, it does. Lets summarize.
    What LF Leadership promised us:
    -They promised to bring SW to the new heights and keep the traditions.
    -They promised to expand the universe.
    -They promised to bring the new generation of directors with their vision to bring SW the freshness and unexpectedness.

What we got:
    -Complete fail with the new generation of directors. RO had huge problems with directors and was more or less saved. SOLO has huuuuge problems and may become the first box office disaster in SW universe. Lord and Miller were fired. Colin Trevorrow was fired. Instead LF brought old matured directors like Ron Howard to do the movies. JJ Abrams was also brought back. Only Rian Johnson was more or less clean, but only if to ignore rumors about not very good response from Disney/LF executives during the screenings, to ignore the idea that TLJ was more or less successful due to its own brand, not RJ talent, to ignore the theory that RJ trilogy news were the marketing bumper to tone down the initial negativity from audience.
    -We are four movies in (SOLO included) and there are no new heights or freshness seen. We have the movies about OT events, and OT heroes, with almost soft reboot vibe in them.
    What about traditions? I can write the whole essay about how Disney simply doesnt give a F about Saga Legacy.
    -Most of the new comic books, novels or TV-series has very mixed response, i think. I spend enough time here and on the reddit to gather and analyze the reactions. Most of the comic books are irrelevant for SW universe, many of them straight boring and uninspiring. In fact the only really great comic book is the new Darth Vader series.
    TLJ only solidify my opinion that most of the novels also irrelevant (hello Phasma) or mildly boring (Thrawn) in the grand scheme of things.
    Im not even talking about the new EU, which is nonexistent. There is no equivalent of Yuuzhan Vong War (yeah i know many people hate them) or New Jedi Order or Thrawn Trilogy, or Old Republic. There is no equivalent of Talon Karrde or Mara Jade or, silly, Wedge Antilles.

In fact LF failed literally EVERYWHERE.
    Yeah, but TFA got 2bln $$$, RO got 1bln $$$, and TLJ will get 1.5-1.6bln $$$ !!! you'll say.
    Yes. Does it make Disney and LF approach perfect or even good?
    No.
    The THESIS is all results Disney has now with SW movies are 90% SW Brand work, and 10% - LF not crewing it up even more.
    BUT i bet they know it as well as i am - the power of SW would no longer allow them to screw the things up and get away with the billions of $$$.
    Audience has ALREADY realized that Disney's SW has the flaws. And it won't give the Disney the billions if Disney would continue to walk the path they walked all that time. The path of hackwork and laziness.

LF and Disney absolutely needs the new Leadership and new plan, because its obvious that SW Franchise now has much darker future than say Marvel Franchise. Yeah, dont look so surprised. You can see the trend:
    >First Disney SW movie, done competent - huge success - 2bln $ - with following mildly negative reaction about safe play
    >Second Disney SW movie - first really negative rumors - decent success - 1bln $
    >Explosion of negative rumors about SOLO movie and Ep9 director firing
    >Third Disney SW movie - critical success and massive fan backlash - decent success - 1.6bln $ paralleling with negativity from large part of fandom
    >In Before SOLO movie - general audience looked indifferent and fandom looked worried to say the least.

The trend is clearly negative. If LF and Disney will continue, they will fail the franchise. They need to do something about it.

19. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    New leadership? Yeah, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strongbow likes this.
  20. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    No, but the story group, crews of these films, and Ms. Kennedy seriously need to rethink some things they are doing. No mystery boxes, lots of characterization, very high stakes, a mix of old and new. I can understand they want to move away from Lucas' train of thought: that is fine. The execution has not been good. You can have strong characters from everywhere fit naturally in universe, I've been watching that in Asian, European and some American films for decades now. I think the LFL brass (including the story group), and the directors/writers they hire need to kick back with some American, Italian and Asian genre films from the 60s, 70s and mid 80s to understand how you can incorporate these characters and their journeys into the films without resorting to shorthand, fake mysteries and overall poor execution.

Yes, they brought in billions of dollars, but it will be very interesting to see what happens going forward.

All I want are characters and stories that feel like SW. Rogue One felt the closest to those, but wasn't perfect. Chirrut was a good example on doing something new with someone who is force sensitive, but not a Jedi (I've grown to like him in revisiting the film and reading some excellent fan fic here.)

If they expect me to continue supporting them beyond Obi-Wan project(s), I have to give a hoot about the characters and the story. If not, well, that's okay. I won't berate them for it, I'll just spend my entertainment dollars on other characters and stuff I do enjoy. Voting with your dollars is the message they will understand like any corporation.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  21. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    After The Last Jedi my answer is still no.

22. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Didn't Solo suggest back 1980 that committees aren't necessarily a good thing?

LEIA The Empire is still out there.
    I don't think it's wise to...

HAN (interrupting)
    No time to discuss this in
    committee.

LEIA (angry)
    I am not a committee!

:p

eko32eko7 likes this.
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    New leadership? No, they only needed (past tense, unfortunately) to keep their word:

eko32eko7, bmickey and Lt. Hija like this.
  24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    The way I see it, the decision (or need) to change leadership in LFL will be based solely on one thing: Profit.

As long as these movies keep making $ hand over fist, and SW still has much iconic respect as a franchise, this will not change. Turmoil (involving firing) behind the scenes only really occurred in one film. R1 had some minor shakeups in directorial authority but nothing as dramatic as firing a directing duo weeks into filming. And extensive reshoots have been more and more becoming the norm in the film industry of late-not just for SW, so I don't really count that.

We also need to remember the other side of this coin: there are two acclaimed and successful SW films released since KK took over where the production process more or less went off without a hitch. That counts too!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Outsourced likes this.
  25. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    What’s the other movie that went off without a hitch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.