main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion 2018 Fanfic Resolutions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Dec 26, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It's that time of year again! Time to look back at this year to see if you accomplished any of this past year's fanfic resolutions and to make some new fanfic goals for the new year! Happy 2018 everyone!

2. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    These were my goals for 2017:

1 - TOTAL SUCCESS!
    2 - Yeah, this was a complete failure. I wrote like 1/10 chapters and the muse just went poof.
    3 - Ummm, less of a failure than #2 - I think I got about halfway done before the muse just didn't want to work on it anymore.
    4 - I think this is subjective, but I think I did, therefore I'm marking this a success.

2.6/4 isn't horrible. I passed :p

This year, I'm keeping it simple:

Write what I want to write.

Too often I'm worried about what the muse might want 6 months from now, or finishing a story that I've begun posting in a timely manner, or challenges I've signed up for, or the fact that this is a Star Wars fanfic forum and I'm a mod and my muse has completely jumped fandoms (though it is peeking back into SW). I'm just going to write what I want to write on any given evening. Yes, I'm still going to do the DDC but I'm not going to be super worried about writing the whole thing before I move onto other fics.

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Ahem! These were my 2017 goals, and...
    1. Fail.
    2. Fail.
    3. OK.
    4. Done.

So I'm just repeating my 2017 goals for 2018, with a small addition:
    1. Complete my WIPs,
    2. Write all pending challenges, except the Poetry Inspiration Challenge (which, as stated above, will be a looong story),
    3. Not start any new multi-post stories other than my fic-gift and the current OTP challenge until 1 and 2 are done,
    4. Keep reading and reviewing.

*I will not start new stories, I will not start new stories* *Jedi mind-tricks self* [face_hypnotized]

4. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    It seems i took this year on hiatus from writing. It was sort of busy year, well at work at least since I didn't had the motivation to write. At the the end of the day just wanted to stay at home and watch youtube, for the execption days where I play games or play sports during the week and weekend.

For 2018 I intend to write in terms of priority:
    - Starting Fanfiction of Alternate Universe Star Wars or a different saga trilogy (which after TLJ, there will be quite a few). Still choosing.
    - Starting a writing rpg comunity via mail or forum, since I always liked to do. But this is set without any canon characters, just original characters. Era... pending.
    - Write original story, maybe a short story.

How do I intended to do this? Well I plan to do 15 minutes every morning (since at night seems impossible), every day, uninterrupted No matter what. it is only to recreate the habit to write everyday.

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh man, I did terrible on the actual resolutions, but most of the things turned out okay or for the better, so I'll take it as an overall positive!
    1. Well, I did that for about half the year, off and on. And I did write more this year than I have in a long time, so I'll count that as most of a win.

2. Nope, not even close. I changed my plan at the last minute and while I liked it, I lost where I was going and that was a bit of a stumbling block. But it set up a TON of things that inspired other stories, so it was a win!

3. I.. don't even remember which stories I was thinking about, and now I have even more unfinished stories!

4. I think I did a bit better, but still not where I want to be.

So for 2018:
    1. Again I want to set aside at least one day a week that is a writing day and put it in my planner. I also want to track how many days I write a month, even if it's just a few paragraphs.

2. Track how many days I post comments on stories. I sometimes get self-conscious about comments and I don't want to do that. I think if I track how many days I'm doing it or not doing it, I'll make more of an effort to push through.

There was something else, but now I can't remember what it was. I was trying to stick with measurable things... it will come back to me.

6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I set the bar very low last year... "Write and post one new FF story." SUCCESS!

I'll keep the bar low. Resolution: Finish and post the Fic Awards Prize which I owe @Findswoman. Two chapters down, heaven knows how many to go...

Anything else I manage to accomplish is gravy! :D

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Total failure. :p

For this year, I'm going to try something more complex, with a very high chance of failure (but I'm going to try it anyway):
    1. Write an Elite League Limmie RPG post at least once per week.
    2. Do at least some work (even if it's just brainstorming) on pure fanfic once per month.
    3. Complete at least 3,000 words of pure fanfic by the end of 2018.
    Note that college work comes first, so if the schoolwork really piles up, a week may have to be skipped. If the skipped week is because of college, I won't count that as a failure.

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    This year's fanfic goals:

1. Finish UDC 8
    2. Organize my plot bunnies
    3. Write one new story.

Kahara, BookExogorth and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    1. Do something.
    2. Do something!
    3. DO SOMETHING!
    4. DO SOMETHING!!!
    5. Read and review stories, I guess.

Kahara, BookExogorth and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Let's see...I'll go with 2018 first, then ramble about 2017.

EP's 2018 fanfic resolutions:

- Finish at least one of the three unfinished epics.

- Continue posting the post-ROTJ epic regularly.

- NOT do a DDC. Seriously, you wermo, DON'T EVEN ATTEMPT TO FIND EXCUSES FOR IT.

- Post more fanon entries.

- Work on the LGBTQ+ thread and the alien thread, the latter with @Findswoman - both have been "in progress" for almost three years. [face_blush]

- Complete the overdue stuff from 2016 and 2017.

So...this year. Yeah...

...2017 doesn't count as a year, does it? How can a year when you were not able to write from May to November, bar two lame fanon posts be an actual year? How can a year when leaving a simple comment would take an hour and a half and then you don't remember writing it five months later, be a year?

Wait...what the kriff? Turns out I wrote more stories than (I think) @whiskers in 2015 and almost as many as @Hopefulwriter in 2016. But yeah, still complaining. :_|

I wonder if smoke-and-mirrors New Year's resolutions are bad luck at this point, really. [face_waiting]

Then again, I did go through the above at the end of October. Let's copy and paste that here and practice self-deprecation...[face_rofl]

I still owe Kahara her prize fic from...last year.
    This didn't change. Given how demanding that story is, there's a good chance I will, if the donee agrees, write something else and keep this idea brewing.

I still owe leiamoody the rest of her holiday fanfic exchange story - OK, that one was on hiatus because, yeah. I still want to finish this story.

I still owe a cover to leiamoody.

...not sure what to say.

I still owe a book to Findswoman, but I made the cover, at least.
    Not a problem.

I still owe a book to JadeLotus, but she's MIA and she never sent me the files, so I have no control over this, I guess.
    ...can't say what's up.

I owe MandrinaQ this year's prize. I told her that I was in a bad state both physically and mentally back in May, but I think that I will be able to do this soon. Plus, it's about Leia! <3
    EP, you Dulok brain, do it!

EDIT: Apparently, I owe a prize fic to Raissa Baiard, too.
    I am obsessed with making this impressive, which I shouldn't be doing, because Raissa likes my WTF humour, too. Then...perhaps I spammed the board with that stuff recently? :p

So, let's see...

- The Before story that I crossed out and requested for it to be removed from the index is just.not.happening, it seems. :/
    Still not happening. Needs action scenes that will require me to research the real-life event, which is always painful.

- The Before story that's two stories is going reasonably well. I am aware that it was supposed to be done on the same day as the 2016 DDC, for the big reveal to take place...but yeah. Whatever. 3-4 chapters to go.
    No change, I have a chapter ready.

- The current DDC is finished, I just have a hard time with schedules. DONE!

- The second Ewoks epic has a couple of chapters written ahead, but I believe that I did not touch it in 2017.
    One chapter ready, actually...not a couple. :p

- The other epic? Well, same.
    Two chapters ready. New idea for a side-event popped in my head the other day.

- The Sequel Trilogy story? I actually wrote something this year, but nothing since March.
    Kind of not sure if I want to continue.

- The far future story? Ditto.
    Stuck on some minor events.

- The drabble challenge thread? Aborted halfway.

- The other drabble thread? Aborted when I entered the drabble competition, but wow...seems like I have something for it that I never posted.
    These two could be a waste of time...

The 2017 challenges and those remaining from the past?

- Only the current OC challenge will be completed in 2017.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Even though you didn't finish it, I TOTALLY count it as a win because it inspired SOOO many stories for me, continues to do so, and gave me a creative outlet that saved my sanity.

Kahara, mavjade and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I don't think I'll revisit last years goals. Let's just say EPIC FAIL and leave it at that.

For this year:

1. Write something (anything!) at least a couple of times a week.
    2. Read and review more stories.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Your comments are A-OK. :)

Kahara, mavjade and Findswoman like this.
  14. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    My resolutions for the New Year to come is to fullfill my resolutions. Oh, wait! 8-}

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    My main resolution is that I will finally dig some of my fan fiction out of the archives and post them up on the board :)

16. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    Didn't have any plans for this year when I started 2017, in fact I only got back to writing in 2017, but I'll compile my own for 2018.
    1. Finish and publish Chapter 2 of Revelations by 2018.
    2. Finish The whole fanfic series I have planned by the end of 2018.
    3. If the previous is failed, at leas finish Revelations by the end of 2018.
    4. Write something about Nyros that isn't grimdark and where she is happy. I don't know what yet, I hope the solution presents itself later.

17. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    1. I want to start writing Starwars fan fiction again for 2018.
    I spent the last few years writing for The Vampire Diaries on fanfiction.net. Now that the TV series is over, and I have some good time on my hands, I think now is the time to return to writing for what inspired me to start all of this. Hopefully my muse will cooperate. :yoda::yoda:

18. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I want to finish Dark Angel, The Chosen One, Who am I?, and post more in Morphers.

Note: Who am I? is only available on FFNET because I felt that some of the content wasn't friendly for the JCF.

19. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    I didn't have any resolutions for 2017, and I still feel as though I failed. (Well, unless I resolved to dress like I could have been in the audience when The Band filmed The Last Waltz on Thanksgiving 1976, in which case--goal achieved. But that isn't writing, or fanfictional, related.)

So if not making resolutions doesn't help, I might as well keep it basic:

1. Write at least one new story.
    2. Finish at least one story I have already begun.

Findswoman , Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  20. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    I was shocked to discover that I even fulfilled one (1!) of my resolutions for 2017. :p I guess I'll try to keep on that streak and aim for the following:

*Comment on at least one story per month.

*Read and vote for more of the challenges -- I keep missing the voting rounds because I'm not paying attention. [face_blush]

* Write for any of the plot bunnies that have never gotten past the idea stage.

OR:
    *Update a longer unfinished work or finish a new short story in any of my existing fanfic universes.

21. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I somehow managed to miss fic resolutions last year, so here's mine from 2016...
    For 2016... I resolve to write some more, lose weight (no one can tell me it's not fic-related... sometimes the best ideas happen at the gym!), and to continue on with the college courses thing. Next up... possibly Political Science. During an election year. Eeep.

Let's see... Political Science accomplished! (Complete with the "everything's going to heck global catastrophe" angle. It was supposed to be a class about civics, NOT doom and gloom and trying to figure out things from the POV of a community organizer who needs to feed people... We've got agriculture for that!) Weight loss in progress. :) Am writing... granted, it's kind of a tribute to both my recently deceased grandmothers, but healing through your art is a good thing.

For 2018... Resolving to write... and pass Kinesiology. Yay Kinesiology.

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    More, please. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

@Sara_Kenobi - You have a wee error in your post.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  23. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Happy new year, all! I’ll pitch in, too, and I am going to try to keep it simple and not to specific, because I think the opposite kind of resolution has been my downfall the last couple years. So here goes:

1. Update my big, unfinished epic.

2. Finish my outstanding prompts/challenges/ficgifts while being circumspect about how many more I take on. (Mists know it’s hard!)

3. Start that new resource/discussion thread with @Ewok Poet. It’s just a matter of coming up with an OP and an initial discussion idea or two at this point.

And reading and commenting, both on stories and Resource topics, I’ll continue to do as best I can, of course. I am very fond of this place. :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Raissa Baiard and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Some semi-on-topic thoughts on resolutions from Mark Twain:

New Year’s Day: Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual. Yesterday, everybody smoked his last cigar, took his last drink, and swore his last oath. Today, we are a pious and exemplary community. Thirty days from now, we shall have cast our reformation to the winds and gone to cutting our ancient shortcomings considerably shorter than ever. We shall also reflect pleasantly upon how we did the same old thing last year about this time.
    —Mark Twain, 1863

Truer words have never been spoken. :p

Ewok Poet, BookExogorth and Chyntuck like this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So, this is where I say that my 2014 New Year's resolution was bizarre - I had resolved to say "rectum" in random context, every day of the year...

...and that...that was the first time ever that I fulfilled a resolution. [face_rofl]

jcgoble3 likes this.