main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheLateAdmiralPiett, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Billy Dee has a cane... I say "space pimp."

Krueger likes this.
  2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Aside from Poe communicating with him and other underground leaders on a screen, I really don't see any reason for him to interact with the new people.

3. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Well, the Resistance is a bit low on numbers. Lando showing up at Leia's funeral offering his wisdom and resources wouldn't be that far-fetched. I'm not saying he needs a major role. Just a couple scenes to show he's still a player and cares about the fate of the galaxy.

Parparamia and seattlemusicnerd like this.
  4. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    You're assuming though, that the film starts with Leia's funeral. We don't know if Leia will have a funeral, or how long she could have been dead before IX starts.

5. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    A short cameo would be nice.
    Maybe during Leia's funeral.

6. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Apologies- yes; I didn't preface my idea by stating: "POSSIBLE SCENARIO." :rolleyes:

cerealbox likes this.
  7. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    Snap Wexley is away in the outer rim during TLJ finding Lando. They both show up in time to save the day in IX.

Make it happen, JJ, or I'll rip your movie apart in Facebook comments!!!

Django Fett likes this.
  8. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    That’s right he wasn’t in this movie

9. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    He won't be in IX.

But the new Star Wars live action tv series, coming to Disney's upcoming streaming service, is all about him and his family.

"Keeping Up With The Calrissians"

10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaa!

cerealbox likes this.
  11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    There's honestly no need for him. Yes, a cameo in Canto Bight in TLJ might have been nice, but this trilogy has now firmly handed the reigns over to the next generation. I'd rather see more development and screen time for Rey, Finn, Poe, Rose and Kylo than see another piece of fan service.

12. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I suppose that Lando could be one of the 'allies in the outer rim' that are referenced multiple times in TLJ. If that is the case, his presence in 9 would make perfect sense.

13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I also just hope that Abrams really holds off on any type of nostalgia for Episode IX, especially since TLJ was explicitly about leaving the past behind.

14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The Resistance/New Rebellian leadership has been a big let down, where are the equivalent to Generals Dodonna, Rieeken and Madine? Holdo was interesting but she has been the exception, Ematt, Statura, Cypress and Jotis where one dimensional.

At least BDW would bring "character" to command structure.

15. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Wait?!

You're saying that Dodonna, Rieeken, Madine weren't one dimensional in the movies?!?!

Did we watch different films.

TadoFett and miasma like this.
  16. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    I would bet on General Calrissian showing up to avenge his crush ....with a monstrous fleet that had been mothballed so it would remain undetected. Even the Hutts, Mandalorians..remnants of the old Empire..etc. I think we will see old enemies band together against the First Order...in a final battle royal. This alliance will forge the roots of the next Galactic Republic.

"Yes, but now, its personal" Lando in conversation on hearing of Leia's death...

TadoFett likes this.
  17. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    In retrospect they've done Billy Dee a tremendous favor by snubbing him in these movies.[face_mischief]

cerealbox likes this.
  18. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I really hope Lando will not show up.

I want at least one person from the original crew to survive [face_nail_biting]

Jamtia likes this.
  19. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I hope so too--at the very least, give him a cameo by hologram talking to the Resistance. And hell, if they can, have him leading partially the allied forces (if JJ decides to go with them not responding to the Crait call assuming it was an FO trick). Billy Dee reportedly has health problems, but if they just write him so he just sits in a chair giving commands the majority of the time, they can get around that.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I'm sure Chewie will not die.

21. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I think he would have been better off being the one instead of Maz giving Poe and gang info on the codebreaker. That’s all we really needed. It would have been believable, made more sense, and not cheapened Maz to the video game thing.

22. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Leia used her personal code in the distress signal. No one came to help. If Lando shows up months or years later in Episode 9, I'll actually be a little pissed. If he was going to come help it should have been at the end of TLJ. So I assume he's dead.

That said, I wouldn't mind a mention of the "Calrissian Corporation" in passing or something like that. Or maybe Lando died a couple years before TFA, but his organization still thrives, and Poe or Finn connects with some Rebellion sympathizers who used to work for Lando, people Lando mentored and led before his death...

Could be a nifty way to tell us what happened to Lando, show us a bit of Lando's legacy in the men he inspired, and introduce another younger rogue who will help them in the final battle against the FO.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Darth Nikton likes this.
  23. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'd say it's the very opposite actually. Only the bad guy - the person who is actually wrong about pretty much everything - thinks that the past needs to be left behind. Luke is of that opinion early on, but clearly changes his mind by the end of the movie. And Rey never held that opinion in the first place.

The theme of the movie is accepting the past, not to destroy it or to ignore it. Taking valuable lessons from it is important, but you shouldn't let yourself get bogged down by it. Kylo Ren is the one who fails at this, because he tries way too hard to rid himself from the past, which is why he just isn't stable enough. He killed his father, and it hurt him, he couldn't bring himself to kill his mother, and he lost all focus when Luke appeared.

Lando very much would fit into IX, I'd even say he should have been around way earlier than that. While he wasn't one of the original heroes, he was very much part of that group by ROTJ. It's just weird that he got completely ignored like this.
    Seeing how there is zero leader left, an iconic leader would fit in well. Leia won't be around for obvious reasons, Ackbar is dead, they killed off Holdo as well. What better way to rally the troops then to have a hero of the rebellion appear? You have the memory of Luke Skywalker facing the First Order all on his own, you have Rey as the future of the Jedi, but everyone else is more of a fighter than a leader, you could have Lando to fill that spot. The role would be big enough to not be a random cameo, but also not so large that it stands in the way of the new characters.

I disagree. No one arriving in time to help out works just fine. Just because there are people out there who could help, doesn't mean that they sit around with a huge fleet waiting to do something. We are still within days of the Republic getting annihilated. Even if people rallied right away, it would still take quite some time to assemble forces. Leia sending her personal message actually makes it easier to set up a link to Lando, because he would be an obvious choice to receive such a message. Not being able to arrive in time isn't the same as not coming to help.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    TadoFett and Doom_Buggy like this.
  24. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    There could have been disruptions in communication preventing the signal to have gotten to Lando. He may be travelling or somewhere else.

Lando being the one to get the signal after Leia passes away would be very sweet and emotional. I almost get the sense that they were leaning toward it when they talked about their allies in TLJ, but weren't sure if they'd be able to get Billy Dee in IX. He doesn't need an action role or even to fly a ship (although it would be cool). All he has to do is be shown to receive the signal without saying a word and then you see all sort of fleets coming. Then Lando's voice coming over to Poe's telecom saying "we got the signal loud and clear. Hope we can be of some help".

Then have Lando show up at a memorial at the end on Coruscant when Leia's statue is erected.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  25. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I've said for a while that maybe Lando has been the Resistance's money man. It take money to run a military organization, and I could EASILY see Lando being the guy who is wheeling deals, twisting arms, and doing what it takes to get Leia what she needs. Is it necessary? No. We could get a perfectly satisfying story without him. But it seems like an easy tip-in to me.

TadoFett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.