main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Did The Last Jedi change your view of the new SW canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Did The Last Jedi change your view of the new SW canon?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2018.
  1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    46.8%
  3. I don't have a answer now.

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm not sure quoting a news article about a serious issue (that was published in multiple journalistic media) is a bias. This issue is also directly tied with film gross.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    How does that relate to the conversation at hand other than to try and rally anti-Disney sentiments?

3. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It relates to the financial gross which was in the quoted post--it may be artificially inflated (over other films that use normal tactics) due to these borderline shady tactics.

4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    @sidv88 the article you linked to was ignoring the fact that Lucasfilm has always put a lot of demands on movie theaters when it came to their Star Wars movies. When you have a franchise like Star Wars you can do things like that. No different than in sports where the best players demand the highest salaries.

5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I guess, but even with that, a movie doesn't make money if people don't go to see it. Yes, they may be making MORE money because of it, but the fact they're still getting profit means people are still going to see it.

6. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    That rule was really only an issue in terms of theaters in small towns. Theaters in larger cities wouldn't have any problem showing it on their main screen for four weeks because TLJ was easily going to be the top grossing movie during the holiday season anyways.

7. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Obviously talk of a reboot is absurd, especially given how successful these films have been. However the other conclusions you're coming to are not based in fact or common sense. The amount of money the films have made is hardly an indication of quality or reception at all, as it has been the case in the movie industry many times bad/poorly received films can make a lot of money. The new Star Wars would have made absurd amounts regardless.

I'm not saying TLJ is a bad film by any stretch of the imagination, but you are really coming across as one of those worst kind of fans. It's great that you liked the film but this attitude of "everyone had to like it or they are ignorant/not real fans/bitter fanboys" and "haha look the film made a lot of money all you haters are salty" is so childish and cringeworthy. And it's been everywhere in relation to this film. Don't be one of those guys.

Nom von Anor and sidv88 like this.
  8. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    It changed my view in the sense that my interest in the supplementary canon material dropped to almost zero.

I used to pick up the books in order to speculate about future developments in the films, which is something I used to enjoy.

But TLJ doesn’t feel like an organic sequel to TFA and too many questions were left unexplained. The powers that be very openly admit that there’s no overarching plan for the trilogy.

So speculation has become futile and it soured my excitement.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    zchmrkenhoff, Hypatia, mnjedi and 5 others like this.
  9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't believe I ever said that people that didn't like the film are ignorant or bitter fanboys. I simply said that Disney is doing a good job with these films in that they are giving them such wide appeal that they can be polarizing to a portion of the audience and still be one of the best grossing movies of all time.

10. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Ok good, carry on not being that guy then

11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I had a few problems with the movie, but my feelings net positive. While I enjoy TFA and love Rey, I feel that film is too similar to ANH. I primarily enjoy TLJ for Rey and Kylo Ren, as well as Amilyn Holdo and Poe. I think it's interesting to consider how Snoke, Kylo, Luke, and Rey all view Darth Vader. Overall, Vader's personality is portrayed largely the same in the new canon as he was in the old EU. I like this. However, he is portrayed as more powerful in the new canon in the days after his defeat on Mustafar, and his suit and cybernetics were not as much as much of a hinderance. Personally, I disagree with that. I agree with Legends fans who favor the explanation of midi-chlorians that we learned in the Darth Plagueis novel. Similarly to how that story helped many to accept the prophecy of the Chosen One, Plagueis helped us to go along with midi-chlorians. Yet I can see why the new canon is going in the opposite direction, since many SW fans who are unfamiliar with Legends do not like the notion of midi-chlorians, which may well serve as an explanation for why Rey is possibly unrelated to Luke or Leia in the Sequel Trilogy. Anyhow, in Legends, as we read in the ROTS novelization, Vader was unable to touch Sidious with the Force, whereas he attacked him immediately after learning of Padme's death in the new comics. I think that Vader's injuries have to mean something. As George Lucas said, they represent the suffering that he had to live with for the rest of his life. I can accept the notion that Sidious Palpatine is more powerful than him as a result of his defeat at Obi-Wan's hands, and this would be his primary incentive for wanting to train a clone of Galen Marek and later recruit his son in order to overthrow his master. He never attempted to do this alone for a reason. Additionally, Vader was able to kill Jedi who survived Order 66, Jedi who were strong enough to destroy and evade multiple clone troopers, and this means that Vader had to work to make what he had count. I know some people like the opposite, but I respectfully disagree.

Hypatia likes this.
  12. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    TLJ definitely made me less interested in the NUcanon because it's officially clear to me that the "Story Group" as such is a farce and exist only to retcon and retroactively try to make sense of the mess of a story the movies leave behind.

I thought TLJ would help to explain the overall state of the galaxy and how we got to where we were. I don't care if Snoke's backstory is explained in a book. I want answers on screen. I thought Disney could tell as story just as well as Lucas. I was wrong.

13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    maybe Snoke will get a spinoff film

14. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Oh you didn't expect it to explain nothing and just raise more questions?

ugh please no. Can't imagine watching that face for 2 hours

15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It will just be so funny if Snoke's backstory is sneaked into somewhere we'd never expect--say the Han Solo film or an Obi-Wan film. :p

Darth Droid likes this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Given as I am an old eu fan my attitude to the NuCanon has always shifted between indifference and outright hostility.

The movie did not change this-it simply confirmed an attitude I already had.

To be honest I didn't like it at all. There were many plotholes, a useless side plot, and it was just bad and unappealing to me.

zchmrkenhoff and Malachi108 like this.
  17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    This movie changed it for me. Of course I missed the EU, but before 8 my attitude was to keep an open mind because the new canon might be good. But other than Rogue One, I kept waiting and waiting.

8 was the point where I said enough is enough. This is so bad they can't write themselves out of it anymore. Even the worst of the post-NJO in Legends wasn't like this.

18. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Breaking Snoke.

He was a pretty good dude until that flesh eating virus incident.

I didn't expect them to break the 4th wall where the theme/question being raised is "Should I leave the theater now?" and "How did this get made?"

It was a bit disrespectful to the fans that Rian tweeted the "Your Snoke Theory Sucks" pics. Of course it is ridiculous as a whole, but that's what FANS do. They think about the movie well beyond its viewing time.

So he shouldn't be surprised when the fans hold up the "Your Star Wars Sucks" sign right back.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  19. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Best way to look at is just that it's a different story, it isn't any more real than the old EU was. People seem to get upset because it "ruins" things but really all you have to do is ignore it, maybe try to appreciate it for what it is. When you start looking at as if the Disney SW Universe is some definitive accurate history and everything else that you love didn't happen then of course you'll get uspet.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Alternate timelines in a SW multiverse

21. Darth Droid

Jul 4, 2013
    I don't know if I would go that far, but this is certainly more dissappointing. The old EU always had the potential to redeem itself at anytime or offer something new and cool in a different part of the universe. The NUcanon seems to have no future to me, and has killed off or neglected most of the interesting stories it could be telling.

22. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I feel like I'm reading my posts from circa 2012

JediBatman, Stymi and Outsourced like this.
  23. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, it irks me. we got sold the idea that the supplemental materials would have some relevance because they were planning everything out so well.

Turns out, Surprise! they don't, and they didn't. Boodline, Phasma, Aftermath, The Poe comics. All were solid reads don't get me wrong (And Bloodline was Fantastic ) have the same amount of relevance to the new movies as Sword of the Jedi would have. Which is to say, none.

To be fair though, Rebels has done a good job making sure all of its tie in stuff is relevant to the show (Kanan Comic, New Dawn, Thrawn, Inquisitor stuff in the new Vader comic), so I have to give them credit for that.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Darth Droid

Jul 4, 2013
    Honeslty it makes me think that if market research shows them there is any market for it they will continue legends at some point and make a big deal out of it. All they care about is $$$ and whatever they think will make it for them.

It gives those of us still hoping for McGregor as Obi-Wan a chance though, because its the one thing fans have been clamoring for that we haven't really been given.

But I agree we were sold a load of goods about the tie-ins and such. Empire's End felt like it was going to tie into stuff that happened in the ST but that just seems so unlikely now. Hasn't the whole new canon been building up the mystery of Palpatine and the unknown regions and what he was looking for? I feel like it has, but who knows.

25. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    That could be a story exclusive to books. They said they wanted the novels to tell important stories. The novels have added depth to the ST. That doesn't mean they need to be referenced or clearly be shown in the films. The movies were always going to be self contained within the saga. They never said we'd see clear connections between the films and books. The NEU adds depth to the films and expands on what we will see. It fills in gaps. However, the movies have to stand on their own. So things important to the trilogy's plot will never be in a book until after the movies are finished. Empire's End, for example, was important to seeing the beginning of the First Over and the end of the war in the OT. It also shows Ben's birth and hints at how he fell. So it's a very important book. However, it's 29 years before the ST, so the events of the novel aren't going to clearly be on screen. The story threads it sets up will be concluded prior to the ST. Now that 8 is done we will start seeing books that tie more closely to the ST. But because the films tell their own story, what we see in the new books won't be clearly related to the story of the ST. There will be connections, but not like you are expecting. In a way, the books between the OT and ST will like a prequel saga to the ST.