main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming The Last of Us

Discussion in 'Community' started by ManaByte, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    It was a great trailer, but where was Ellie and/or Joel? My guess is that (unless it was revealed that was the LOU2 trailer to begin with), it didn't necessarily get the excited reaction that the initial teaser had with an older Ellie playing the guitar while Joel walks in. I guess the clickers might've given it away.

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    It's probably better that this trailer didn't have Joel and Ellie in it because it shows that this game will be about more than those two characters. Because for as good as the story was in TLOU and as awesome as the character development was the game still had a pretty narrow scope. It would have been slightly disappointing if the second game in the series didn't try to expand on the world too much from the first.

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

But what could that mean though? Playing as different characters altogether besides Joel and Ellie? Or possibly they're just planning on expanding the Multiplayer option from the original game.

4. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Those new characters will be a part of the story. As far as what it could mean well there is a good chance that that one character pointing to the others stomach was no coincidence.

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I remembered there were rumors about Ellie being pregnant.

6. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    No. There is a good chance that character in the recent trailer was Ellie's mom. And we might be playing as her during flashback sequences.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014

I guess we'll see.

8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    A new panel from psx a couple weeks ago. Introduces some of the new people who will be in part 2 and gives a little more detail about their characters. The two new characters from the trailer are actually going to be siblings. One is 16 and the other is 13.

A good part of part 2 is going to take place around the Seattle area.

Good panel but the host isn't very good and her jokes were a bit cringeworthy at times. Says they will have more footage for the upcoming game in June of next year (E3 2018)

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    If only more footage of the game is promised in June, I assume that means that there's no promise of it being released in 2018.

10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Probably not. Will probably be mid to late 2019.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I don't get why these companies tease the fans of the game at special gaming events years before its actual release. The first TLOU2 trailer (with the older Ellie playing the guitar and Joel comes in) came out just about a year ago during the PSX conference.

Of course, Final Fantasy fans might say that those concerns are cute.

12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Because fans get mad if they don't get any new info and start jumping to conclusions that something is wrong with the project.

13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The early trailers very rarely give any insight to gameplay; so it's just as well that the developers release a statement or two that the project is in fact moving along. They release them anyway after these trailers to specify particular aspects of the game that the fans could expect. I just believe the early trailers give some false hope/illusion that the games will be released sooner rather than later.

TX-20 likes this.
  14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Last of Us 2 Gameplay footage.

Definitely not a 100% polished yet. The faces are still plain at this point and they will be given far more detail by the time the game is released. But looks really good nonetheless.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So far the TLOU2 footage is the only thing that's come out of E3 2018 that has at least piqued my curiosity.

16. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Still incredibly meh on this. The original is one of my favorite games of all time. I've yet to feel like this sequel is narratively justified. Still feels like a sequel made for the incredible amount of cash it will bring in. I need to know what kind of journey these characters are on (and BOTH of them need to be important, not just Ellie.) before I actually care.

17. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I can appreciate that two of the most anticipated games right now (Red Dead Redemption 2 and this) are using their original protagonists sparingly, at least in pre-release footage. I'm incredibly intrigued to see what kind of role Joel will play here.

18. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I loved the first game but I'm not sure about this one. Even before the E3 trailer came out I've been thinking for a while that as video games become more photo realistic, the more turned off I'll be by their violence and The Last of Us 2 drove that theory home. Yes when the game comes out the larger context might make it easier to understand the violence that was portrayed in that E3 demo but all that aside I found myself wincing through all the combat in the demo. The animations were incredibly impressive as was the visual fidelity but all the axes to the face and neck was too much for me.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Not that I ever played those games, but weren't there axes to the face and neck (among other body parts) in games like Resident Evil going back to the original Playstation days?

20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Hmm, not sure. I've only played a couple of those games years ago so I can't remember. That said there have no doubt been games with over the top violence for years. I think for me though in the past it was easier for me to deal with the violence because the graphics were still video gamey enough that it made the violence a little cartoony in a way. The near photo realistic graphics and animations in The Last of Us 2 however are so life like it makes the violence that much realer feeling.

I'm sure this is all intentional. What's worse, being numb to the violence in video games and thinking nothing of blasting off peoples heads like they're watermelons or making a game that forces the player to deal with their own violent actions? Theoretically I understand the choice but practically speaking I might be grossed out from playing this game.

All that said I have heard that players will be able to avoid conflict if they want to. I like having that option but what always happens to me in those situations is that I'll go stealthy for a while and then screw up and the next thing I know I'm torching people left and right.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah but in the PS1 era the violence looked like this:
    [​IMG]

I wasn't particularly keen on the first TLoU so I'll be skipping the sequel regardless, but the trailers have been hard to watch. Since, in general, videogame violence tends to desensitize us to videogame violence (which sounds trite but is relevant here), I think Mustache is right that the visual fidelity is what's causing an issue for some folks.

22. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm not gonna read the Waypoint article, but it seems to me to just be a matter of taste. Plenty of people haven't been able to stomach violence and gore in movies for decades, and if a game's too violent for you, skip it. I don't play first person survival horror games because I'm a pansy when it comes to that stuff (I just bought Resident Evil 7 about an hour ago, so we'll see how that goes). No shame in it.

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The tl;dr is that research shows videogame violence effectively desensitizes gamers to, well, more videogame violence, so basically there's a tolerance feedback loop that occurs within the medium, but that feedback loop can be thrown off. It's interesting because, since that same violence doesn't translate to a desensitization to real-world violence, what might be going on is that your brain is saying "Oh no, this isn't a video game!" Which in turn prompts interesting questions you could ask about reactions to the trailers - is it because you're not in control, or because the graphics got better, or both, or something else entirely? Hard to say.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  24. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Beyond hyped for TLOU2! Really enjoyed the new trailer.

Video game violence to me is just that, fake violence. No different than TV or movie violence. Means nothing to me one way or the next. And has in no way desensitized me to real violence. Which I abhor.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Hello yes I started playing the Remastered version of this and it's such a great game