main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's New Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BucMan-55, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The red one from Lukes necklace. Blue red would look fancy

yanote likes this.
  2. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    i thought Anakins Kyber Crystal broken in two with his saber?

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I couldn't tell.

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    My gut tells me she's going to have a three sided lightsaber.

5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Double bladed saber isn't needed, just have her repair Anakins, or reuse the crystal for a new traditional saber. After so little time using Anakins before it broke, I wish she can continue to use it, helping to keep an iconic piece of skywalker history alive.

6. HispAnakin

HispAnakin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 16, 2017
    Id love to see a Saber with some function to it, like Ezra's saber

7. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    Kylo's saber is rough because the crystal is broken, right?

So now we have a crystal broken into two pieces, to be used by someone who used a staff as a weapon ... hmmm ... where could they be going with this?

Ragged, double-bladed blue saber for Rey in IX.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  8. hermiona52

hermiona52 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2017
    Now I wonder, is there anywhere in canon said, that for construction of double-bladed lightsaber there are needed two kyber crystals?

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, because they activate individually. Each hilt is it's own lightsaber.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  10. hermiona52

hermiona52 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2017
    Hmm, I'm still not sure. For the record, I haven't read all of the new canon comics and books yet, so there might be somewhere clarification on it, but maybe there is a possibility to construct a lightsaber in many ways. Such like using one kyber crystal to activate it on both sides.

11. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    If the Skywalker crystal is cracked, it would be interesting if her blade(s), despite the configuration, would sizzle like Kylo's cracked crystal blade.

12. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    Two cracked blue crystals making a ragged staff would be fitting for Rey. She's a scavenger, so it would also be fitting if she continued to make do with hand-me-downs. It would also match her like Kylo's medieval cruciform sword matches his knightly Crusader garb and bird-beaked plague mask. Just as Kylo's mask is from history, so were Darth Vader's gas mask and samurai helmet.

Funnily enough, the words I just used to describe this "ragged staff" happen to be medieval heraldry (Warwick the Kingmaker's bear and ragged staff). Rey is even Spanish for "king", as well as it sounding like "ray [of light]".

The two of them are two sides of the same, yin and yang, so it would be fitting that Rey uses a lightsaber once belonging to Kylo and his family. The ragged cracked blades also would reflect that her power is neither Light or Dark just like his.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    CosmicDust likes this.
  13. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I'm definitely in the double bladed camp. It wouldn't change anything story wise, so why not? I would rather a more unique color, but it would be weird if she didn't use Anakin's crystal.

14. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Im in the double bladed camp but wouldnt be surprised if she will end up with the same cross-guard lightsaber Kylo created, but with the blue blade. They would explain that with inexperience.

15. BucMan-55

BucMan-55 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2004

Well. I'll go to the only one in an actual SW film. Maul activates one blade in the desert fighting Qui-Gon. In the Theed Hanger does a one-two with seperate activations. So she'll probably need a second crystal. Though I don't think it would be tough to either show or imply she can find one. The question is, which will get the most fan backlash:

Reforge the saber? So cliche and LOTR!!
    New Double Bladed?? No, not prequel stuff!!
    Saber Pike(blade on shorter staff)?? WTF is that, where has that been established??!!
    New standard saber?? Missed opportunity!! Lazy!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Mostly Handless and bluealien1 like this.
  16. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    The fact that her crystal would probably be cracked and ragged would mean that it would avoid PT comparisons, given that it will look a lot more like Kylo's. It would be a blue version of his and in the shape of a staff (perhaps shorter on both sides than Maul's, given it's only one crystal), which is really her style of weapon that is associated with her.

Perhaps they could give her a non-chrome hilt that make it more reminiscent of her old staff, color-wise. Something more earthy. Though cream and brown have given way to gray and brown. Her clothing has changed with the mood of the films, as well as character. Leia and Luke had similar situations where their clothing colors pretty much tell a story all on their own, most notably Leia losing her virgin white (red on Bespin, but reverts when losing Han, then never wears white again) coinciding with her romance. I'd imagine Rey's clothes might even get darker like Luke's did. Rey's hair being let down and glammed up (more mascara) more also echoes Leia during her romantic arc, but it also gives her a darker, less childish look. Her Jakku scavenger self had a lot of innocent, child-like qualities, not unlike Luke's Tatooine self. It's been joked a lot that The Last Jedi represents adolescence, complete with Snoke in his gold Hefner robe in his red boudoir shaped like female organs (the hanging things from the ceiling). By this logic, IX will be representing adulthood for Rey. If she gets a darker clothing look, it might change the earthy idea a bit.

Kylo's whole look is so history-centric with all the parts matching a theme (the medieval cruciform sword to match the Crusader/Templar clothes and plague doctor mask--and Ben's pre-Kylo innocent look is a flowy white nightshirt) that it would make a lot of sense if her final weapon fit her in the same way. He's the Byronic dark prince (a "Black Prince" with a whole lot of Hamlet, complete with the uncle/revenge issues) and she's the nobody scavenger with a hand-me-down weapon. I think the "scavenging" of Anakin's old weapon for the crystal would be most appropriate.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  17. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Way, way back I surmised that Luke threw away the lightsabre (+1 ;)) and that Rey used the cracked crystal, parts from Han's blaster and her Staff to create a double-bladed sabre. This idea was reinforced with Chloe Bruce being a Bo Staff expert and Rey's look being reminiscent of the Shans. This did not happen in TLJ, like a lot of my expectations and hopes, but I'm not disappointed as that's all the fun of speculation.

18. Instant Force Talk

Instant Force Talk Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2017
    I personally feel that three factors will come into play: Episode IX will feature a time-skip, which will have us be introduced her her new lightsaber. Marvel does a limited series filler that explains how she found both the new crystal and parts, as well as why Luke did not use his own lightsaber when confronting Kylo Ren. Rey's lightsaber (or lightsabers) will be based on what form she chooses to master. If they add a shoto, Form II: Makashi. (But there is also the Form V: Shien form.)

Form II: Makashi is a duelist form, and the addition of a shoto (i.e. short blade) would give her a "dueling samurai" style in the final film. And it can also help bring forth new ideas on lightsaber combat styles. Much like Darth Maul did in The Phantom Menace. The Form V: Shien is more of the style she used in The Force Awakens. It is a very focused, very aggressive attack style when it is correctly used. Which has me figure that the Force had her use this form when confronting Kylo Ren.

Which is why I am not feeling that it will be a double-bladed lightsaber. It would make Rey come off as a "piggyback" character for many that need reasons to hate her. Plus, many will not remember that Ahsoka Tano once used a shoto.

And crystal color-wise... I am hoping that it is amethyst (purple). At this point, I am also hoping that she does not have to create a synthetic lightsaber crystal. Because unless that portion of the canon is rewritten, it is how Luke was able to obtain one for his second lightsaber. And it would make for a more "Force Awakens" style if her "living crystal" was calling out to her. Hence the whole Marvel side-story bit. Which can work if people have faith in their stuff.

But we shall see. And the funny thing is that I am more interested in this than the revival of the Jedi. Something I will blame the old Jedi Order on.

CosmicDust likes this.
  19. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Hopefully there will be a stash of Marvel Comics in the journals Rey rescued so she can learn what Form suits her best.

20. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    I think she is simply going to rebuild/repair the Skywalker saber and continue to use it. They made a clear point of her keeping it and the Jedi texts at the end and having everything she needs.

21. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    safe bet and most likely if you ask me.Can i just get one new jedi in cannon with a little Flare like Mace(Purple or Yellow/Gold)[face_praying]

Dandelo and RetropME like this.
  22. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I'd like to see her build her own lightsaber out of the remnants of the Skywalker one. Maybe using the kyber crystal and some components, but making it her own. A way for the legacy to continue, but to put her own mark on it.

RetropME likes this.
  23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Multi-coloured. There, I said it. I’ve always wanted to see one.

CosmicDust and bluealien1 like this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    All the colors of the rainbow! Yay!

25. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Whatever it is, you know it's going to be prime material for Episode IX marketing

CosmicDust likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.