main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    I am back because my exams are ending,and I realise I am terribly behind the schedule I have planned( I haven't updated for 5 months). Any way I can make myself write faster?

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Just let it happen the way it should. :)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Always remember the wise words of Douglas Adams: "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Remember, you're not tied to any kind of posting schedule. I've seen stories sit idle for a year and then get continued. Don't beat yourself up over it. Myself, I have a story I haven't updated in a good three months or more, and I just updated another thread that had lay dormant since August.

The only advice for making you "write faster" is to make writing a priority. Make it your New Year's resolution to write at least 15 minutes every day. Even if you're writing poodoo, at least you are in the habit of writing. That leads to a writing mindset, where you are constantly running stories in your head. The ideas will come more easily and your writing will improve. Update when you can; the fanfic police are not gonna nab you if you take a break. [:D]

4. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    Deadlines to write faster, this is my only truth, although I hate deadlines... :(

5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I...sabotage myself when I have a deadline, in 9 out of 10 cases.

6. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    I was saying NOT to give yourself a deadline - but if it works for you, go for it! Everyone has a different way of handling their schedules.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @FireKeeper -- great tips from divapilot but also another thingy to keep in mind is to keep track of those nuggets of plotting etc. that pop into your head so you don't lose them [face_laugh] It could be a line of dialogue or a snatch of a scene [face_thinking] You can keep track of those electronically or on "paper" ;)

Writing with music softly in the background helps me as well. :cool:

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    D'oh! Sorry. :confused:

9. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I think the quote about deadlines actually goes: "I love deadlines. I like the sound they make as they go whooshing past."

It's from Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. Which, believe it out not, I've only seen once.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    LOL, my friend's username on many, many websites is ilovedeadlines. :D

Findswoman and Snocone like this.
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
  12. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Welcome @Master_Lok [:D] It's great to see you in our little corner of the boards; I'm looking forward to reading your stories whenever you're ready to write and post.

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Master_Lok [:D] and we would welcome any reviews you wish to share. LOL @};-

14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    If you're still dealing with schools and exams and stuff, remember that FF is supposed to be what you do for FUN. Don't put pressure on yourself. If it's not fun, you're doing it wrong! :)

Gamiel, Master_Lok, Tarsier and 2 others like this.
  15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Wonderful Words to live by. :)

Many thanks for the warm welcome everyone: [:D]@Chyntuck and @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha and all the awesome creative fans in this forum etc.

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Saw you in the character interview thread and enjoyed your posts, @Master_Lok ...so, I think your stories will be A-OK. You know how to get the character voices right.

So, I have an ethical question for everybody: I have unposted chapters for three stories I have not updated since March/April. I would like to get rid of those chapters because they were written this year, the worst year of my entire life, and I can do it in the case of two out of three of these, the third one has two pre-written chapters. I also want to post my response to the OC Revolutions Challenge. Would it be unfair of me to have four things on the front page? Should I get rid of stupid superstition and just post the latter? Find a compromise between these two options?

Master_Lok likes this.
  17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Many thanks @Ewok Poet [:D]- as I confessed to @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha I have been in the fandom since the beginning, but never read much beyond the initial Zahn trilogy (movies and some comics for me. [face_blush] Though I did run a Luke FF zine back in 90s.)

so my question is for everyone;

Beyond Dooku, has the complete list of Jedi who make up Lost Twenty ever been named / described? Wookieepedia only names a couple more.

I am leaning toward writing an OC who is one of the Lost Twenty.

I have no idea where to start with reading stories here. Looking forward to it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  18. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Hi folks. I was curious if any of you ever experimented with writing your stories in screenplay format first, as a way to outline your story prior to its "novelization"? It looks like maybe a handy way to describe a scene in simple detail, and then use the flowery stuff later when telling the story for public consumption.

Thoughts?

Master_Lok likes this.
  19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @Keycube - I did that once years ago. Why not give it a try?

20. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    The boards have been pretty slow lately and things aren’t moving too quickly. I have 3 things on the front page right now and two of them I posted a couple of days ago. My point is I don’t think there is much you can do to avoid having stuff sit in the front page if there is not enough activity to bump them down. I say, post the things that absolutely have to get on first, then try to stagger the others by maybe posting a day apart. But when only five or six stories get any movement, there’s nothing you can do to avoid having your works sit near the top.

It’s mighty considerate of you to ask, though, I have to say.

Ewok Poet and gaarastar58 like this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I suggest by reading the stories in the Fanon Horror Challenge and then voteing. The stories are rather short and have different styles and the Fanon Horror Challenge need people to vote.

Master_Lok and Findswoman like this.
  22. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    ^^^ Seconded.

@Master_Lok FYI there are two more challenges that are ending very soon and will need readers and voters: the current OC Revolution Challenge (if you're into OC stories; the list of stories should be posted in the next few days) and the Dear Diary Challenge (if you want to read longer fics; the list of 2017 stories is in the third post).

Master_Lok, Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    One of my roleplaying Games Masters on here loved my work so much that she tried to persuade me to screenwrite something for her - she was breaking into tv production - to produce.

The format of doing scenes and double row paragraphs just completely ****** with my creative flow and I only managed 15 pages, well short of the 80 pages that I was told / learned that is the minimum to get a hour's tv.

Master_Lok likes this.
  24. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    Any ideas on how to name an ancient artifact powerful enough to restrain a powerful Force entity's influence and abilities. Also, what is more believable for Luke Skywalker: finding the tomb that houses the artifact, but being unable to crack it for 6 years, or find the artiract, but realize even it can't obliterate the entity like he had hoped it would, and choosing to stay with the artifact for the rest of his life, holding back Snoke and delaying a galaxy-wide catastrophe? I was originally going with the first, but now that I think about it, it might paint Luke as weak/ unskilled.

As for the second case, my AU doesn't follow his Dis-canon characterization, and we find out in my fanfic that his exile was not an exile at all, but rather masked as an exile so others wouldn't follow him. He actually left a message behind for Leia, explaining he was going to look for a way to defeat Snoke, but it got lost. But still, I need to explain why didn't he try to contact Leia in any way when he didn't try to contact her in any way or even try to use his powers to help her or anyone else from afar. This plot hole is also present in the ST, but my fanfic makes it bigger. Comms may not work on long distances( like Obi-Wan being unable to contact Coruscant in AotC, so he contacts Anakin instead). There is also an option of crashing Luke's ship, leaving Luke stranded on Ahch-To, but then I will hage to explain who the hell crashed it and what became of them. But the Force... Why wasn't he unable to sense anything through the Force? Leave a message through the Force fo Leia? Or at warn his friends about something. He could have tried to warn Leia about the Starkiller base. I could try to explain it so that the trance while meditating with this artifact made him not sense anythin outside close proximity, but I am not sure this is how the Force works.

Geez, I patch the canon plotholes only to create my own.

25. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @FireKeeper - there are occasional planets where technology breaks down. If we assume that Rey and the 'Falcon had not been on Ach-to long enough for that to occur, TLJ does not disprove that environment, whilst leaving Luke incommunicado with the rest of the galaxy. Off the top of my head, I cannot recall seeing him using any tech not brought along by Chewie and Rey.

Re. artefacts, this is probably an unpopular view, but I expect that I would make a case for the device-namer to be as much a pupil of the Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' naming conventions as me, and just do a "does what it says on the tin" name. eg. The Big Drokk Off Entity Trap.

I suppose you could run a such a name through a language translator, to make it sound more exotic. Eg. "Pastku z utrymannyam ob'yekta" is "Entity Containment Trap" in Ukranian.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.