main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to TLJ: Canto Bight

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 20, 2017.

1. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I really enjoyed the book; thought it was a lot of fun. I really liked the short story format as it allows us to get a few different perspectives on this city and ensures that no single narrative really outstays its welcome. I enjoyed all of the stories. I will say that it doesn't particularly feel like its needs to be a Star Wars book. Maybe this will change after I see TLJ tonight and actually get to see Canto Bight in relation to other Star Wars things. As it is, though, other than a few references here and there this could have easily been a part of another sci-fi universe. I don't bring this up as a negative; just something interesting about it.

kalzeth likes this.
  2. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm on the second story. Still. First story was just OK. But the second is boring the hell out of me.

Taking me a long time to get through because I turn to other things that keep my interest more.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

kalzeth likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I avoided this thread because the book came out during my spoiler blackout period, but I loved the book. The four stories were very different and very fun, the second one was probably my favorite, and I enjoyed seeing the description of the place that was part Monaco part Vegas -- glittery, shiny, a bit fake, and a bit grimy.

The countess has the best name in the story, and I love all the little Italianate things that make me think of Monte Carlo (which I believe was the primary inspiration for CBP

The Core Worlds will always be my true love, but this place is cool if a bit seedy.

MercenaryAce and my kind of scum like this.
  4. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I've yet to get this, I also was on spoiler blackout. I'm going to pick it up soon.

5. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Holy kriff there's a Dor Namethian in this book? And I thought digging the Gigorans back up was impressive. If you didn't know, they're a species from Legends with exactly one appearance - a single card from the Decipher game that made a character out of an unused ROTJ maquette. More remote than that's pretty hard to go, unless it's the Design An Alien contest creatures.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Is there any art in this book?

7. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Just finished the second story. While I enjoyed the first, I think The Wine in Dreams is one of my favorite nu-canon stories. It's fun and a different take on the SW universe, and I got quite invested in all the characters, including the unnamed Wookie.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Barnes and Noble special edition comes with a photo gallery of the characters in the book as they appear in TLJ.

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    One of these is in a deleted scene on Canto Bight. In the bath house scene:

[​IMG]

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dor_Namethian

10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Well, Lexo Sooger doesn’t look anything like Brangus Glee, who incidentally was never identified as being a Dor Namethian but rather just someone from Dor Nameth.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Admittedly the head's not an exact match, but the arms are when you see the whole costume, so I'm pretty confident Lexo's supposed to be the same species.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_laugh] Well, of course, how could it be otherwise?

I've enjoyed the two I've read, with the first being a tale of tourism and assassination. The second revolving wine did make me think of you. It's a clever story too.

Will hopefully get to the other two in the next day or so.

13. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I was kind of bummed that many of the characters from the book were cut from the final film. I was actively scanning for them. (I may have been one of the only viewers hoping that the Canto Bight scenes would last much longer)

14. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Only 3 of them are not in the film. Everyone else (who wasn't an original character) is easily viewable in the movie.

Revanfan1, AV-6R7 and Link1130 like this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Read the other two stories and found both of then to be quite, quite good.

I quite like the Jedi take on cheating when gambling that JJM wove in as an aside.

16. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    For anyone that uploaded their pre-order receipt to get one of the Canto Bight pins, they came in during our holiday closure, so here's a close up picture of it. They are shipping out now.

[​IMG]

17. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    That looks amazing. Hopefully this was successful and is continued for future books.

Also: thank you :)

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm guessing not globally?

19. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    None of our giveaways/pre-order items, etc. are international. Everything is domestic to the US. We are the US publisher, and our corp. rules prevent us from doing any international giveaways or promotions.

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Bummer.. (UK person here)

Diego Lucas, Sith Iratus and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Rats. Oh well, thanks for confirming DI.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That is a remarkably fine pin and I look forward to its winging its way over.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You realise Coruscanti consider those pins and the entire city of Canto Bight as being utterly vulgar, right?

24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I plan on buying the book next week along with The Art Of TLJ At Books A Million I just got The Visual Dictionary of TLJ DK book in the mail from Amazon!

25. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Just picked up the book yesterday, but I am a very slow reader and have a backlog.