main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Was Vader/Anakin technically Emperor for the last couple minutes of his life?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dominick1216, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Dominick1216

Dominick1216 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2013
    After Vader/Anakin killed Palpatine in ROTJ, was he technically Emperor for the last couple minutes of his life?

2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    No. No one was, the Empire had fallen.
    Also, Anakin was renouncing his status anyway.

3. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I was wondering if Anakin finally achieved the rank of Jedi master after he defeated Palpatine. Since he had turned away from the dark side, he would have been the most senior ranking Jedi alive, at least for a few minutes.

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I think the status needs to be conferred by other Masters. I don't think he cared about that anyway.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think he had more important things to care about

Erkan12 likes this.
  6. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    I don't think he was the "head honcho" Sith. I think technically he had gone back to being "good" about 5 minutes before he kicked the bucket.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin was not the Emperor, since that is just a political title and not one that would be given to him. Nor was he the Dark Lord of the Sith either, since he had turned away from the dark side.

darklordoftech and Erkan12 like this.
  8. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Yes
    There was no time to make it official, though: he died, and he would have said No, anyway

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Anakin was Emperor for a few minutes, until his heir, Luke took that title because he saw him die. Nobody in the movie saw Luke die, so now we need to have a tournament between all the viewers of TLJ.

Watch your back.

ZodaEX likes this.
  10. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    No one acknowledged him as the Emperor which includes Palpatine's hologram, so no.

11. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I would say not. I would think the Grand Vizier, Mas Amedda would be first in line, Though had Vader remained, he probably would have asserted his authority and claimed the throne for himself.

darklordoftech and MatthewZ like this.
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The whole point of Vader repenting is that he recognises that he's been supporting evil for years, and wants now to oppose it.

Helping the Emperor create the Empire and destroying the Republic, was Vader's biggest mistake, and finally he's realised it. Becoming the next Emperor, would go against that whole "repentance" thing.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If he was it was unknown to everyone but Vader and Luke. I think there is an EU dude named...Prestage?...who claimed the title right after. Film-wise what was the line of succession? Palpatine to Vader to...Jerjerrod?

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Sate Pestage (the Grand Vizier) claimed control of the Empire right after, though he never declared himself Emperor. In the Disneyverse, Mas Amedda fills the same "Grand Vizier who rules the Empire for a while after Palpatine's death" role.

Jerjerrod is just Death Star Commander, never a ruler.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    He is a full on Moff, though put there as an easy to control stooge.

16. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Interesting thought. But no, he wasn't. That was Palpatine's empire and at that point he quit the whole rule of 2 stuff

17. Cody2017

Cody2017 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2017
    No.

Had Darth Vader survived, he COULD have declared himself the new Emperor and easily taken over the Empire by force, but he didn't. Along with saving his son, Vader killed Palpatine to end the Empire.

THAT scenario plays out in TLJ with Kylo Ren, Snoke, and the Order.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's true that he was promoted to Moff (and that there was once only 20 of them):

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tiaan_Jerjerrod

however, his lack of the traditional Moff badge might not just be a blooper - it might be an indication that he doesn't rule sectors but confines his work purely to Getting The Death Star Running.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    In his final moments, Vader was certainly not Emperor, it is not an inherited position per se. Neither was he Sith master. He was simply a Jedi, and a father.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  20. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I think if Anakin never turned back to the Light side, before his death, then yes. I can't picture Darth Vader not wanting that position.

21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    There was a formal hierarchy and a secret plot by Palpatine so no. Vader was dying not sure what you mean would it go to him and it took Luke's every physical effort to drag his limp body to a shuttle. He wasnt Vader by the last time he said "Noooooooooooo!" in ROTJ or if you prefer the original when he picked up the Emperor. So certainly after his head was fried he was not gonna live long to claim any such title and had no authority or ability to pass it to Luke. Besides the Empire was designed to not outlive Palpatine, it was the contingency plan called Operation Cinder. So there would not of been any time.

I am curious if Snoke had something in the
    posthumous order like Palpatine's Operation Cinder after his early premature demise at the hands of the treacherous Kylo Ren.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  22. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    When he finally chucked the Emperor down the shaft, he was once again Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker.

He wasn’t a Sith Lord (either Apprentice or Master), as he had renounced the title.
    He wasn’t an Emperor, as no one formally declared him as such.
    He wasn’t a Jedi Master, as there were no Jedi to appoint him as such and I doubt Luke had such authority.

The man we saw dying on the ramp was Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight and father of Luke and Leia Skywalker.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Sith Lord 2015 and Master_Rebado like this.
  23. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I find it funny that some people think there is a bright line between good and evil. Bad people do good things once in awhile and the converse is also true. I dont think its fair to say that there is an instantaneous moment when Vader becomes good again.

24. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Right, I doubt one good deed would erase the 24 years of horror and misery Vader dished out on the galaxy. However, we may be straying off — my point is that as far as Luke and the Force were concerned, Vader paid his dues by essentially offing himself and the Emperor at the same time (albeit with Vader dying a bit later.)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Bazinga'd likes this.
  25. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Vaders one act removing decades of death and misery? Would have made a great Hitchens essay. [face_thinking]

Darth_Duck likes this.