main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin Skywalker MEGAthread - Don't talk to him about sand, it makes him uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Tonyg, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I would clarify some details here (couldn't I as this is one of my most favorite scenes n the whole Saga ;) ). I don't think in the scene there is some challenge or daring for anybody of them. All the opposite, they are so vulnerable, I mean both of them. Many would define Padme's dress as seducing. I don't think so, at least not in the same way as is the black dress of the fireplace scene which is obviously seducing. The lake dress of Padme is absolutely gorgeous yet it very different from her also gorgeous senator outfit that she wears. First, the senator dresses are beautiful yet in the same time look like armor: they cover and protect Padme and change her to convert her in Senator Amidala. The lake dress shows her as Padme: it is beautiful, colorful and light to wear, but also comfortable differences from the black dress that is tight and uncomfortable. The lake dress has 'wings' so Padme feel absolutely free and happy. In the same time it is very feminine without being 'uncovered' too much (Trisha Biggar is simply the Jedi master of the costumes. So Padme is not putting Anakin to a challenge or a test , she is just happy to be herself, to be herself in one of her favorite places and to be herself with someone for whom she obviously have some feelings. Padme wants to share this moments with Anakin, moreover, she feels free and safe to be there with him, that's why she is so vulnerable to him. And is how Anakin reacts: so gently so shy, even insecure.
    I don't think that in that moment Anakin wants from Padme to like him in a particular way, all that he wants is to reach her, because she was so far away; not only for the 10 years of distance. She is the queen of his dreams (as he explained earlier) and he touches in a way as he fears that this dream would disappear He dares to do that only when he saw Padme appearance: not the important senator Amidala, not the presuming refugee, in that moment she was indeed Padme in the shores of her favorite lake, sharing a very special place and moment with him. What I really like in Anakin is the way he treats Padme (I'm talking about everything before the particular moment in Mustafar, of course) : while he doesn't have social manners at all, he has this internal chivalry of the heart that helps him be so gentle with her. Gentle and also vulnerable and confused (let's not forget that he apologizes after the kiss). That's why I like this scene so much.
    Of course, as you noticed they both feel uncomfortable but it cannot be comfortable as they have to deal with feelings that they never had before ad even in their case, they shouldn't have at all.

Shaak Ti, Mark Pierre, jc1138 and 5 others like this.
  2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    In retrospect, I think Padme's dress in the fireplace scene with the scarf literally choking her was a strong foreshadowing on how their relationship would end.

3. SavedByChristAlone

SavedByChristAlone Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2017
    While everyone else is having in-depth discussions about Anakin Skywalker, may I present his theme song? It's a Negro Spiritual covered by John Legend that I found by accident whilst browsing for better tracks on Youtube (as one does).

Let's hear it for . . . MOTHERLESS CHILD!

JammerPickle likes this.
  4. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Instead of trying to figure out if they can see Hayden as Darth Vader, people should figure out if they can see Hayden as the Anakin Skywalker of the OT. I know it is just one really short scene, but it is a really neat experiment. Personally I think he is a dead ringer.

5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I liked Hayden appearing as a force ghost it fit very well.

6. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    It still gives me chills every time. When I was younger, I would get a tear in my eye, but since I've seen it a thousand times now, the emotional response can't be as strong anymore. I think it's a really poetic moment. It's like Luke is looking in a mirror, and Anakin is saying to him, "Yes. This is the great Jedi Knight you imagined me to be in my youth. You brought me back and have become an even greater Jedi. Thank you." I can get why a lot of people would prefer Shaw, even aside from sheer nostalgia, but to me it doesn't work as well. It has a different emotional charge, which in the grand scheme of the saga doesn't hold as much power. Again, to me. When it was just a simple three part fairytale, it acted as a nice little sentimental "happily ever after". Seeing Hayden again feels more expansive and epic.

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Perfectly said. At first I still preferred Shaw, but as I've gotten a bit older I really prefer the younger ghost. I agree that the Shaw image strikes me as overly sentimental. I actually prefer the slightly disharmonious note of Luke looking on his father as young man, a visual representation of a man who was good and bad. Like you say, less "happily ever after." More truth of a life lived.

8. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Anyone thinks that Anakin could be seen as some sort of meta for SW fans? You know, fans can get possessive and whiny about SW but much good could also come from them, somewhat similar to Anakin.

9. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Actaully, I see the story of the SW franchise as a parallel to the story of Anakin.

And yes, one also can't help but notice the fans releasing their (whiny) hate & anger on the PT as another poignant parallel with the fall of Anakin.

Or perhaps from the other point of view, the feelings of betrayal that some fans felt by the PT allows for a window into the experiences felt by Obi-Wan, Yoda, Padme, etc.

But no, I see what you're saying and I agree, just hadn't looked at it from that angle much before but I love it. The fans became quite attached to the OT. So much so that they 'feared' any change to, or loss of, that OT feel (I know I'm simplifying things here). Anakin said he couldn't live without Padme, and we saw what he became when she passed on. Look at what OT-purists (for lack of a better term at the moment) became when the PT came along.

Nooooooo!

Tonyg likes this.
  10. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I think the feeling of how close is the respective protagonist to the way that the viewer feels himself, defines the attitude to the character. What I mean is that most of those fans that you described above saw OT when they were very young and of course, they felt like Luke (usual boys from around the corner who wanted to be knights, even kings of the world as the character of Leo di Caprio in Titanic). Of course they dreamed to became Han Solo one day (the cool guy liked by most women). So they grew up and the things of course were far from fairytale/space opera, i.e. too ordinary. So the ST came and they again felt closer to Luke as it looks like the life slap him in the face (several times), Luke changed and lived hardly his middle age crisis (is what makes me cringe in ST about Luke presentation but obviously JJ Abrams gave to the fans what they want to see). And what about Anakin? He is all these fans want to forget that they were: unexperienced, unrefined, with no manners with women, naive (i.e. relatively easy to manipulate). But a difference from them, he is not whinny.

11. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    ^^ There's nothing normal or average about Anakin as he is presented in the movies at all.

I'd love to be able to see myself and live vicariously through the mistakes that Anakin makes so that I don't have to make them myself. But the dilemmas and choices that are dealt with in the films, and the dialogue between Anakin and supporting characters that are supposed to narrate these dilemmas, are so obscure and/or specific to a desired plot outcome, and not any relatable choices except to people who are unaware they have a potential personality disorder, that this function is not available to me.

12. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I'm afraid you are thinking about some mix between Vader and Han Solo. Anakin does not take what he wants, he apologize after kissing a girl who says 'I shouldn't do that'. Not to mention that he would never treat the women like object who should be taken or leaved (and that is one of his best qualities) Anakin often hesitates and also he is member of the Jedi Order. I understand that everybody extrapolate his own views on the movie characters but in this thread we discuss Anakin who is described in the movie and not Anakin who we want to be.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  13. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    If you continue to troll this thread in such despicable way, I will arrange it to be closed it immediately. Better than this ridiculous trolling. I really hope this is clear enough for your higher brain.

14. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    heels1785, Seagoat I think is time to close the thread for obvious trolling.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Save the thread, remove the troll. Better? :p

Tonyg and Seagoat like this.
  16. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    It works too. Thank you!

17. Vader1996

Vader1996 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2017
    Quick question: How many nightmares does Anakin have about Padmé's death in ROTS?

18. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Only 2 that we see directly, one just after he gets back from saving the chancellor, and a second just after Obi-Wan leaves for Utapau.

This second dream seems more like some kind of daydream, as Anakin is shown fully awake after it.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Do we know if Anakin's scar still comes from dueling Ventress in the current canon?

20. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Is there any contradiction with this in some new material?

21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I don't believe there's anything out there than contradicts it. Just curious.

22. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Nanaki likes this.
  23. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Just rewatched this movie a few days ago, and it was remarkable how this guy reminded me of Hayden's Anakin.
    [​IMG]
    This is from the French 1992 movie Indochine. Not only does this actor have a slight physical similarity to Hayden but the role itself also has some parallels. Only here the character's development is opposite, he started out as "evil", or at least indifferent, then became good. Still, watching the movie I was somehow reminded of PT Anakin. Is it possible that Lucas took some sort of inspiration from it? It was released 10 years before AOTC. Of course the story is very different but there is a "forbidden romance" here as well, also the character deserting his "order" (military/Jedi) because of love. Both characters were bound to a rigid moral/military code they were loyal to, then later turned from it because they noticed its faults. They then followed their emotions that were contrary to their conditioning, in one case leading to evil, in one to good. I wonder if anyone who has seen this movie has noticed any similarities to Anakin. Some of the acting, even the so-called "wooden-ness" so many criticize, in this character look a lot like 2002 Hayden to me. Coincidence?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    minnishe likes this.
  24. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Is that Vincent Perez? I liked him in a few other French movies. I'm pretty sure I watched this film back in the 1990s but the only thing I remember is that was very beautiful and epic.

25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    TCW never bothered with it but being that Dark Horses comics including Republic served as the inspiration for TCW and they like remaking and pastiching from the EU a good guess is likely Anakin got it from Ventress still.

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-did-anakin-get-his-scar-2958028

Am also curious as to why the scar completely vanishes by ROTJ. You'd think Lucas would've cgi'ed it in. Yeah, yeah am sure "Bacta treatment" and "burned off", haha.