main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Jason, a small question about a detail from the Atlas. At one point a species called the Nartians, who are stubby little guys with four arms, is described. Are these meant to be the same as the stubby little guys with four arms who were always popping up in the background of WEG illustrations? I've wondered that for a good while now as the description does sound very similar.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, I wonder if Gatalenta has been placed yet. It is pretty prominent in the New Republic, my guys says Core, but I am curious. I am still very curious about Mirrin Prime too.

--Adm. Nick

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It's funny, I had to deal with some flooding at my apartment, and ended up finding my full-sized print-outs of the old galaxy maps from the Essential Atlas days - the Outer Rim, the Tion Cluster, the Knight Errant map... ah, the golden days of SW cartography!

AdmiralNick22 and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Afraid I don't know. (Or once knew and have forgotten.) They were given a homeworld -- Nars -- in the Senex/Juvex for the Atlas, but IIRC that was the extent of our duties. Illustrations didn't come into it.

5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    So, when do we get the whole thing? Curious. :)

Послато са SM-J510FN уз помоћ Тапатока

6. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Were maps for the sectors of the Core Worlds, Colonies and Inner Rim ever developed? Would love to know what sectors Taanab and Yir Tangee were in.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Thanks any way Jason. If you did forget, I'll attach a picture of the aliens in question. Might be worth a shot to jog your memory, no? This is them:

[​IMG]

8. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    No. On the list to be done one day but can't give you an ETA.

AV-6R7 and blackmyron like this.
  9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Fantasy Flight Games' Suns of Fortune has a pretty good map of the Corellian Sector... ;)

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Ok, having poured over all the recent TLJ material and looked at some of the older stuff, we are starting to get a rough picture of FO space. The majority are definitely in the New Territories (aka old Remnant Space in EU), with Entralla, Jaemus, Prefsbelt, and Borosk being locations of prominent FO shipyards, ministries, and the like. They have conquered and strip mined worlds like Hays Major & Minor (in the Otomok system, which appears to be Expansion Region in a map from Bomber Command) and turned worlds like Martaus VI into labor camps.

Their activities in the Known Galaxy are focused on the Trans-Hydian Borderlands, which seem to be the unofficial barrier between the New Republic and First Order Space. They are actively encouraging pirates in the Cassander Sector and harassing the neutral worlds of Mamkoda and Caraxl.

In short, I'd argue that the New Territories, parts of the Trans-Hydian Borderlands, and the topmost portions of the Northern Dependencies are under FO control pre-TFA. As for which Centrist worlds I'd put firmly in the FO camp, Orinda is located smack dab in the New Territories and had senators that were ardently pro-Imperial. I'm sure that the FO found a way to take over Scipio and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they had Yaga Minor too.

The only pocket of the New Territories that I see the New Republic controlling is that region around Ithor and Taris, which are both NR members. Beyond those worlds, the region is chalk full of confirmed or likely FO members.

--Adm. Nick

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I suspect we’ll have First Order borders and then First Order influenced/protection agreements. I also expect a decent presence in the Western Reaches, and Hutt Space. Neutral powers will be easily prey for the First Order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The Unknown Regions and Wild Space are chalk full of potential FO colonies as well. We know that they established a sort of frontier corps that encouraged the settlement of new worlds. The size, scope, and power of the First Order's Unknown Regions holdings are unknown (in intended), but given they are barely 20-30 years old, they are probably more akin to the small colonies we see in Star Trek than worlds populated by millions or billions of people. The Visual Dictionary reinforced the point from the TFA VD that most First Order naval crewers spend their lives on one vessel. That, coupled with Snoke's seemingly lack of interest in a planetary capital, reinforces the mobile nature of the First Order.

--Adm. Nick

MercenaryAce and PCCViking like this.
  13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So from the TLJ VD, does the map of Luke's journey to Ahch-To actually have a starting point, and/or any notable locations he stops at along the way?

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    He starts somewhere in the Taldot Sector (the one represented by Vasp Vaspar, Rebel minister of industry) and then appears to stop at Kashyyyk. The line goes through Kashyyyk (implying the stop), but the rest of the line doesn't go through worlds listed on the map. Of course, I'm sure he made multiple stops along the way.

--Adm. Nick

TheRedBlade likes this.
  15. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010
    Wrong thread.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  16. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I've said elsewhere how TLJ seems, thematically, right at home in the Bantam-era books. The last of these, of course, was the Hand of Thrawn duology, which hinged on the fear that secret military might hidden in the Unknown Regions could hook up with the Imperial Remnant and fuel their resurgence across a huge chunk of the galaxy, with only a fractious, disorganized, undergunned New Republic to stop them.

All these years later, and we're seeing exactly that.

Considering that we haven't seen any Chiss helping the First Order, I'd put their western border east of Csilla but west of Illum. Who knows how far back they go, but someday soon we'll have to get a good, hard look inside the Unknown Regions. Considering how militarily capable the FO is, I doubt there's much, if anything, left of the Chiss or Chiss space.

PCCViking and Sinrebirth like this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I have been thinking that too. To be fair, the Caamas Crisis reads like a conflict between Centrist and Populist factions in the Senate - those for and against capital punishment of the Bothans and even Bothan people en masse. Especially what with former Imperials able to serve on the Senate thanks to the adjustment to Senate rules in the New Rebellion novel.

The Dark Nest Crisis also can be a read as a panic by Cal Omas that the Empire of the Hand will resurrect in response to the Killiks and perceived Alliance hostility and a Neo-Imperial armada will boil out of the unknown Regions - thus him currying favour by appointing Pellaeon as Supreme Commander and even deploying Star Destroyers to blockade Killik worlds. If anything, Formbi was making a veiled threat to Luke and Mara on Ossus when he mentioned that the EotH would arise if the need arose...

... I am similarly looking forward to how the Chiss play into the First Order’s origins. I’d like to say that they’re still there behind their borders, quietly staying out of things or offering an alliance with the First Order to enable them to remain intact (as they did in the Galactic Wars era to both the Sith and Eternal Empires), but we shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCCViking likes this.