main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A Official Star Wars Publishing Q&A thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Oct 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Yes absolutely great insight, many thanks! Interesting about the rogue one junior novel being a number 1 bestseller. Sainsburys were doing an offer buy rogue one blu ray and get the novel free or very cheap if I recall.

2. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014

Yep. Always a better chance when it can be part of a deal like that.

3. germanjedi

germanjedi Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2017
    The following SWEU novels don't have Legends covers yet:
    - Children of the Jedi
    - Coruscant Nights II and III (Street of Shadows and Patterns of Force)
    - Crosscurrent
    - Fate of the Jedi 4, 6 and 7 (Backlash, Vortex, Conviction)
    - Knight Errant
    - Legacy of the Force 7: Fury
    - Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
    - MedStar II: Jedi Healer
    - Millennium Falcon
    - Scourge
    - Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine
    - Tales from Jabba's Palace
    - Black Fleet Crisis 1 and 3 (Before the Storm and Tyrant's Test)
    - The Corellian Trilogy 1 and 2 (Ambush at Corellia and Assault at Selonia)
    - The Force Unleashed II
    - The New Jedi Order: Dark Journey
    - The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide I: Onslaught
    - The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory II: Rebirth
    - The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy

I count 24. And then there are a few special cases:
    - Legacy of the Force 4: Exile (a Legends cover exists, but it hasn't been spotted in print yet; the latest print edition has the old cover but a timeline that says "Star Wars LEGENDS novels timeline" at the top; I guess it's a misprint)
    - The New Jedi Order: Ylesia (the only e-novella that hasn't been retrofitted with a Legends cover yet)
    - The Dark Lord Trilogy (a bindup consisting of Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith Novelization and Dark Lord)

4. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Is there a reason that Bloodline was changed from New Republic: Bloodline?

5. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Yes, many reasons. First, It was extraneous and taking up space on the cover without really doing anything. Once we had "in the years before THE FORCE AWAKENS" on the cover as a reading line, the subtitle was completely disposable.

Second the original thought was if we did more stories in the New Republic era down the line, putting "New Republic" as a subtitle on all of them would connect them into a defacto series....though not necessarily one that had to be read sequentially. We decided to move away from that because it was locking us into a title structure that might not work in the future. We already have to get ALOT of text on a SW cover. "Star Wars" "a long time ago..." an author name, potentially "NYT Bestselling author", other reading lines. Having extraneous subtitles or overly long titles doesn't leave a lot of room for compelling cover art.

Finally, the story of the book was bigger and more important. The NR subtitle was set right when the book was originally conceived. But over time, we saw that there are events and revelations in this book that have repercussions forward and backward in the story of Star Wars. Having the "New Republic" subtitle made it sound like a smaller story.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So I guess that means no more gems like Star Wars: Darth Bane: Path of Destruction: A Novel of the Old Republic. A bittersweet occasion, to be sure.

7. Bruce Probst

Bruce Probst Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2017
    Shame. I was quite looking forward to Star Wars: New Republic: New Republic Nights: A Novel of the New Republic era. A Star Wars story.

Daneira likes this.
  8. canadianwookie

canadianwookie Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2015
    Now that the Last Jedi is out can we get any more insight into what the collaboration was like between Rian Johnson and the team working on the film and Claudia Gray while she was writing Bloodline?

In general what is the process like for books which touch on things that will appear in future films?

bsmith7174 likes this.
  9. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    The process is we put the details events etc into the book and our dear readers discover the connections usually once the film is released.

I apologize if that answer is glib. Do you have a more specific question about the process I can elaborate on?

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I was actually expecting a bit more in TLJ poltically than we got. IIRC, the whole Centrist/Populist thing and the Napkin bombing came from Rian, but neither figured into TLJ.

My memory on that could be faulty, so apologies if I'm wrong!

--Adm. Nick

Jedi Ben and Ghost like this.
  11. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Your memory is correct. And while never part of the core plotting of TLJ there are certainly echoes to it and some events in the film which suggest all of that Bloodline stuff is quite foundational to why/how the galaxy is acting/reacting the way it is.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Indeed. I'm hoping that the lessons learned (or being learned IU) will end up with a more stable, stronger, but still egalitarian & democratic New Republic post-IX! [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

13. canadianwookie

canadianwookie Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2015
    I mean more in terms of direction. Like do you approach the filmmakers to say we are writing a book in this era with this characters is there anything we should avoid or is it the other way around where the filmmakers say they'd like you to elaborate a bit more on x.

14. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Your question isn't limited to books related to films. In all cases when we approach a new book we're aware of other media in progress that might cover similar material (specific events, characters, time periods, etc). We know the parameters and look for ways for our book to interact with that other property. Sometimes those ideas come from us or the author. Sometimes from other creators. Often its framed by our LF friends who obviously have a better understanding of the whole than anyone.

And in all cases there are usually off limits stuff. Not just in terms of "hey don t spoil this movie moment" but also sometimes in smaller ways. Like deciding not to establish a small piece of Canon as a throwaway line because that might be better worth exploring in a larger more focused way later.

As far as what notes we get. Sometimes its super explicit but more often its more general, with more places for specifics to be defined. Such as "Inferno Squad was formed right after the DS1 was destroyed. By the time of Battlefront 2 they've operated for several years."

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  15. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    So @DarthInternous was it Del Rey's decision to add a 4th Inferno squad member that was never going to be in the game? Or was it the story groups or perhaps Golden's idea to add that character in? That character was a good addition to the novel.

16. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Some of the exact details escape me (because this is not the sort of thing we "keep score on". An idea is an idea, regardless of source), but I believe our friends from EA provided the core idea that the squad had another member at some point in the past. The various details, identity of the squad member, what happened to them, etc. came together as the book was being outlined and written.

17. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Aside from Thrawn: Alliances, are there any other Star Wars original novels coming out in 2018?

18. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    This is one of those questions that I will not answer, as it falls into the category of discussing future/potentially unreleased material.

19. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Am I correct in assuming that these fixes are pushed out to digital versions of the book when my phone prompts me to "update" them?

20. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Correct. The fix is instantly put into the digital editions of the book since you can push out an update rather easily. Those updates might also be to change any excerpt/back ad material that was originally included or if some technical glitch is discovered in the ebook file.

Corrections only enter the physical editions once a reprint occurs. To my knowledge, audio books are not updated with corrections to typos/errors due to the production logistics of re-recording parts of a book even months after publication. Exceptions may occur in the event of a truly egregious error.

21. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Do you think the 30 years between RotJ and TFA can be more freely explored now that TLJ is out?

kalzeth likes this.
  22. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I don't know how much of this can be answered, but as "Sword of the Jedi" was hinted at since the NJO, how much planning went into this series? Were there just a bunch of notes that kept coming together when this title was mentioned throughout njo, legacy and fate? Or did you guys not have too much planned and were just going to start that from scratch?

I am reading njo now and just curious. I will always have hope that this series may still someday happen... :p

Barriss_Coffee and kalzeth like this.
  23. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    While the term was present in other books for a long time, the planned trilogy of same name was not conceived of that far back. It did not come until much later - but the term "Sword of the Jedi" was very evocative and thus made for a good title once a new book trilogy centering on Jaina was started. It just made sense as a title, in the same way that calling a 2017 movie about Luke Skywalker "The Last Jedi" made sense, even if the phrasing was from the 1980s.

And because any question about "SOJ" always comes with "how much work was done?" I shall repeat here what has been said before, despite some continued skepticism that the books exist in some finished or semi-finished form (they do not).The broad strokes of the series were decided. It was going to be three books, and the main character was decided (Jaina). Where it would take place in the timeline and the broadest story beats were discussed. No outline was finalized, and no writing on the actual series began in any form before the series was cancelled.

24. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Is it okay to share those broadest story beats? Just out of vague curiosity.

Barriss_Coffee, revan772 and Ghost like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.