main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is it just me or do the prequels seem to be "cool" again by people? (see warnings on pgs. 9-12)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Fair point, fair point.

2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    A lot of prequel criticism has an undercurrent of "George Lucas has ruined Star Wars".

removed

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2017
  3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I don't think either group has ruined Star Wars, because I don't believe it's even possible to ruin Star Wars. Its a cultural touchstone that spans multiple generations that everyone takes different things from. Some like the Prequels. Some like the Original Trilogy. Some like the Sequel Trilogy. Some like all of them. Star Wars is what you take from it.

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I'm talking about the new Star Wars content (which was the PT back in the day).

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It feels like Disney is doing the opposite to what george would do and its still getting criticism.

6. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    removed

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2017
    Seeker Of The Whills and Erkan12 like this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s because you can never make every Star Wars fan happy

8. Macready13

Macready13 Jedi Padawan

Jan 19, 2016
    Exactly right. Unfortunately in this franchise some fans are willing to forgive certain things and dismiss others for no other reason than "the prequels suck"...

crapiola likes this.
  9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    That is true of every fandom. My solution; enjoy what you love, leave the rest. I happen to be enjoying the PT more now than I did as they were released and was a big fan then too.

10. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Unless you don't think Disney is ruining it.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Third and final warning.

Immediate and lengthy bans will be handed out.

12. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Here's an interesting discussion about it with a podcaster:

13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I've personally never hated the prequels, but the last jedi has certainly made me like them even more now. Looking forward to re-watching the PT soon!

14. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    The whole thing is just like a stock market correction.
    1. Some people raised a few criticisms about parts of the PT. Some valid, some stretching.
    2. Some people ran with the criticisms and forced critique that was either exaggerating or tongue in cheek exaggerating.
    3. Some saw the stock go down a bit and the over correction turned it into a sharp drop.
    4. Eventually the over-correction was corrected itself.

Unfortunately, it has left us with some of the fanbase still clinging to the exaggerated critiques and some of the fanbase thinking they are the saviors using exaggerated defenses.

That's the internet. Those two groups used to rarely meet, let alone on a daily basis. And if they did meet, they were aware of their surroundings. Can you imagine these back and forth conversations going on between two tables at a McDonalds or other crowded public location? It would be comical.

15. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Yup.

This is why pandering to a subset of fans is pointless.

16. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Was watching this one

Its pretty amazing to think of the loved video games we may not have got if the prequels were not around to fuel that market.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  17. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    I can appreciate the attitude "Star Wars can't be ruined, just take what you like and leave the rest" but I do disagree with it.

I'd like to use 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' as an example. I thought this play, which was marketed at the 8th book in the franchise, was god-awful. I love Harry Potter, and I prefer to not think about Cursed Child... but it is now floating in the back of my mind. When I think of HP, the series is brought down in my mind, because of one bad entry.

So when fans get upset about their 'franchise getting ruined' I can relate. But as fans, we don't own the franchise.

Granted, I don't think Star Wars has been ruined by anybody, and I think the prequels are gaining popularity because they are good movies that fell sway to a negative popular opinion. Simple as that. Now people are just coming around.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    KOTOR would not have happened without the PT and I have not yet met a single person who does not like KOTOR

Dread Pirate Roberts likes this.
  19. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Time plus more films have allowed emotions to cool down. I also think there’s more of an appreciation of what the prequels were trying to do than there was a few years ago, although I don’t think they’ll ever quite be embraced as “good”, per se.

20. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    It just occurred to me that maybe all criticisms of Rey being too perfect now makes people appreciate that Anakin was very flawed and that he wasn't automatically a bad%ss in the beginning like everybody wanted him to be.

21. Kladdagh

Kladdagh Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 9, 2017
    See warnings above.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2018
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    What? Can you explain?

23. Kladdagh

Oct 9, 2017
    Last warning.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2018
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The Last Jedi seemed pretty original to me.

25. Kladdagh

Oct 9, 2017
    I keep that in mind and I'll tell you what I think about it when I'll see the movie =) ...
    I repeat, my judgment could be akward ... I spoke about TFA in fact ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.