main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rian Johnson wanted to "Move Beyond" the Skywalkers

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jaqen, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    So you're blaming other people's distaste for something on their supposed belief that their way is the only real way whilst thinking that all negative criticisms in regards to this trilogy exclusively come from a single viewpoint? That's pretty dumb.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    DBPirate, Ren Kylo, Miriedis and 3 others like this.
  2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    You were able to read all that in my two sentence post?

Yousa so smart! Mesa so dumb!

IncessantRamblings and themoth like this.
  3. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    All about Rey Skywalker? So many things wrong with this movie.

But the fact its not making what TFA did shows the issue. That should have been a layup.

Shadao likes this.
  4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    The only people who thought TLJ had a chance of repeating TFA's rare box office performance were delusional fans.

Nobody in the real world, in their right mind, and more importantly, over at Disney-Lucasfilm, expected TLJ, or any SW film, including TFA, to make what TFA did.

TLJ is a smash success. It's already, less than 3 weeks into release, one of the most successful films of all time. With months left on it's run.

At this point trying to paint TLJ as a BO failure is the definition of trolling.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  5. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    It's made money but not didn't reach the bar they were projecting, had star actors calling it out and the director forced to try to explain away the backlash.

Hardly sunshine and lollipops but if you're happy - go with it.

6. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    TLJ is a financial success.

IncessantRamblings and themoth like this.
  7. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Who said it wasn't? I said it didn't hit projections of being in line with TFA.

rebelknight1 likes this.
  8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Post a source over in the Box Office thread that shows what Disney-Lucasfilm's projections were. We've been waiting for somebody to come along and do that. Thanks

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  9. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Headcanon financial projections.

IncessantRamblings and jaqen like this.
  10. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Google can be your friend

https://www.inverse.com/article/386...box-office-opening-weekend-prediction-problem

Last Jedi actually did $220.

rebelknight1 likes this.
  11. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    God, some of the back-bending people are doing to explain away this movie having any success at all is mind boggling.

2Cleva that's not the question asked. And the mere IDEA that we are complaining about 220 MILLION DOLLARS IN THREE DAYS as some how a "bad result" is just laughable. Warner Bros would sell their collective souls to the devil to get a result like that for a DCAU movie.

12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Not what I asked for.

In the appropriate thread for box office discussion thread can you please post evidence of what Disney's projections for TLJ are.

Again, over there we've been searching for it. Nobody has turned up any evidence. You're claiming to know the answer, so please post the proof over there. Here's the link:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-last-jedi-box-office-discussion.50037181/page-301

13. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    If equating result by money - then everything is A-OK with Disney.

Do you think Disney is A-OK with the RT score, Hamill blasting TLJ, and Rian having to do damage control interviews?

If so - that's cool. We'll see more of the same if they feel that way. If they change it up - we'll know they want more than just the check. But it does sound like pointing to the box office means that this is a good movie or one that will be loved. I doubt that's the case but the future will tell.

But I really doubt Disney is comparing with TLJ did to DC films.

To each their own.

[​IMG]

rebelknight1 and jimkenobi like this.
  14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    And Rey is absolutely, factually Luke's daughter.

Moving on, there's a rich irony in Disney expanding beyond the Skywalkers, using Rey as a launch point, while creating the most Skywalker centric Star Wars film since 1983.

Proof that Disney absolutely knows how to have it's cake, and eat it too. They can expand beyond the Skywalkers, while still capitalizing off their story and appearances. Something they did in both TFA and TLJ, to runaway success.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  15. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

Yep, people haven't been calmly talking about their issues with the film. Its all fanboy rage at their headcanon being wrong.

Ren Kylo, jimkenobi and 2Cleva like this.
  16. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    And in the process make the lowest fan ranked Star Wars film ever.

We'll see if they love their cake. Another helping come in Ep IX or will it be back to the bakery again?

Blastaar likes this.
  17. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    How low do you want to see Star Wars drop? How much punishment is enough for Lucasfilm not producing the film you swore they had to make?

18. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    What exactly do you think Disney does care about? DISNEY!

Yeah, i think they are. I don't think the suits care about anything but dollar signs. I think some might have been concerned about the RT audience score, but i think they were likely shut down by people using the rumors of review bombing to dismiss it.

Why do you assume that any course coreection on disney's part would be the right course? Like it or not it'd be hard to course correct from TLJ.

Not remotely the point i made, and you know it.

jaqen likes this.
  19. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    At the moment the only punishment fitting this mess is to have Solo outmatch TFA just to demonstrate the difference between TLJ's story mess and an actual to goodness decent movie script.

You're my only hope Ron Howard!

rebelknight1 likes this.
  20. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Yeah, it's Skywalker-centric but barely manages to expand on either of them. Great.

rebelknight1 likes this.
  21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    So, on the topic of expanding beyond the Skywalkers...

Will it work? Is the general public interested enough in Star Wars beyond the near singular focus on this one family?

RO's success suggests so.

22. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    BTW, for the record, i think they should dismiss the audience score.

jaqen and rorow1 like this.
  23. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    How does it not expand on Luke? Like it or not he's a new Luke. That's expansion.

They turned Luke into the Fisher King. Whether they intended it or not, Luke Skywalker is Star Wars' Fisher King who needed Lady Galahad to get a glimpse of the Holy Grail to be healed.

That sounds like expansion of character, to me.

Satipo and jaqen like this.
  24. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Seeing the problem yet?

rebelknight1 likes this.
  25. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    Not doing what you wanted it to do is a reason for the individual to dislike a movie. Not the collective.

Expectations are funny that way. They might be natural, but they don't tend to hit the way you expect them to.

Dolorous Stroke
    Fisher King

It all fits with myth. It all fits with Joseph Campbell.

So you consider it untapped. You?

Satipo likes this.