main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Final Fantasy Saga (FF7 Rebirth Spoilers TAGGED)

Discussion in 'Community' started by jedi_john_33, Mar 8, 2005.

1. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I can't find my blocky PS1(doesn't matter with 2&3) or my GameCube which really bums me out. I know I took it with me after my divorce but it's disappeared for 7 yrs now. I ll hook up my Dreamcast every so often to play Skies of Arcadia and my Xbox for Morrowind. Not sure if those will play on Xbone since I don't have one.

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Never sell hardware is a lesson I learned the hard way. Multiple times.

TX-20 likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Now that is an entirely different situation.

Right. Especially if something you have/had is expensive to get again. Take FFVI. The SNES edition is expensive as all get out and it was on shelves for at least three years. The GBA and HD smartphone upgrade are out there, as are the Virtual Console and Playstation Store versions, and don't cost as much, but aren't the same as the SNES version. Especially if you were lucky enough to have gotten the Sketch glitch version when it came out, like myself. Not to mention that if a game's license has expired which prevents a reissue, you're out of luck trying to get it from the big three.

4. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I'm grateful that I'd managed to forget just how awful the voice acting in XII is. I thought X was bad, but XII is virtually unplayable because of it. Might have to turn on the Japanese VA if I want to continue.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The Japanese VA is pretty solid, or at least there aren't any stand-out groaners.

It's a little weird that they fouled up the English VA so badly considering XII is post-DQVIII, but clearly that's a testament to the inherent superiority of the Dragon Quest franchise and definitely not inconsistent direction practices.

6. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

Thankfully I've never sold any hardware.

All my old consoles had been scattered around my parents' house, gathering dust, until last year and I realized they'd eventually get damaged like that. So I bought cases, cleaned all the consoles down and now they're packed away neatly. It was so satisfying!

I don't remember FFXII's voice acting being bad, but it was largely dull and forgettable.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Went and did the Dreadnought level in FF12 and the party is now complete!

They also went and gave Judge Ghis a serious duffing up, including sending his own Aero spells back onto him via a Reflectga mote. So do now have an expanded array of offensive and defensive options to consider how best to combine, along with an expanded party.

One neat point is when Penelo rejoined she was at a level equal to the others that was good, not sure the old game would have done that.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well FF12 tonight was both a nostalgia fest and new experience:

Nostalgia - I spent a lot of time in the Sandsea platforms, slaughtering Urutan-Yensa enemies, while avoiding elementals that go nuclear if you use magic in their vicinity.

The new - I’m playing this version far more tactically than I did way back when. I’ll take on 4 enemies, have Basch attack one, meanwhile Ashe targets another and friends with Aero. As soon as that charges up, it one-shot kills every enemy in range! How can I put this? It’s, er, oh yeah:

[​IMG]
    So now part of me is thinking, can I craft a gambit for this, to allow this double attack come mass murder mechanism? The answer may well be: Probably.

Went into a section that had an elemental, legged it out to the previous one, turned off any magic gambits and went weapons only, which the elemental was fine with.

I think over the course of a couple of hours, as I mapped the Ogir-Yensa Sandsea I must have killed at least 200 of the same enemies!

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, having crafted a set of quite intricate gambits - for me anyway - I tried them out tonight.

Had to do some quick re-tuning but when it ran, damn. I've Basch, with Protect on, as decoy for a bunch of Urutan-Yensa, who go after him, while Ashe charges up Aero to nuke the area and all of this happens without me doing a damn thing. Then Basch gets hit by a Tri-Attack that inflicts Slow, so he whips out a Chronos Tear. Later, after another Tri-Attack, Vaan then hits Cura on the party.

To think they had this system all set in a game that came out originally in 2004 is very impressive. FF12 was ahead of its time.

10. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    13 GB update just hit. I think it maybe Ep Ignis finally.

jedi_john_33 likes this.
  11. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    FFXV was a lot of fun. I keep saying I will pick it up again, especially with all the episodes out now. One day I will!

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Every time I think of going back to FFXV, they add new pieces to it for free and I wait a little longer to dive in properly.

13. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I’m loving the combat in Ignis I just HATE being in Altissa. That place is my least fav in any FF game ever. It’s a slog. I always get a bit pissed with each character though cause the combat is so fun and I’m just like why couldn’t you do that in main game?!?!

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think you now can?

They did a big Character Switch update that hit December.

Haven't tried it out or returned to FF15 though, nor am I likely too as FF12 just got real good.

15. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I think this sums up perfectly why I haven't went back to it yet.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Booted FF12 forward yesterday, did the Tomb of Raithwall, the _Shiva_
    I sort of did unto Judge Ghis as Vir did to Mr Morden
    and the trip to and across Ozmone Plain.

This included pissing off an elemental in the rains of Giza Plains, out came the Thundaga spell - time to leg it! Balthier was the last one standing at the save crystal!

Also unlocked the second licence board which really deepens the game. Nor are you limited to 1 user per class, but if you don't tap a class neither do you get to use everything you find and your offensive / defensive options may be more limited. I've gone for a spread of the 12 classes across the party, generally combining mage and attack classes, which in turn allows combinations of heavy / mystic armour on the mages and allowing my heavy-hitters to use magic. Just with the two boards, there tends to be 2-3 weapon and armour types you can use. For an old game, this has a lot of depth and the combinations certainly encourage re-playing.

Had forgotten the smartness of the Gambit system - Penelo got Doomed in the Demon Wall boss fight, party lacked the means to remove it so I let her die. As soon as she did, she was raised by one of the others, then immediately hit Cura. There's times where it doesn't always work, so you need to monitor it, but system allows an awful lot.

Finally, damn - it's a nice remaster. The enemies have never looked as good or as detailed as they are here.

p.s. Oh yeah, did something, twice, I never managed on the old version. Pulled off a 3-run, including a successful shuffle on one, Quickening chain, so unlocked the extra end-chain hit. Did that on both the Demon Wall and nuked
    Vossler
    's arse to high heaven.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  17. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    You know you are broken at Final Fantasy VII when you get Aerith at Level 99.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

18. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Hmm I ll have to try it later. I didn’t get a prompt about it when I did a hunt yesterday.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Did you at least get her final Limit Break before that ill-fated meeting with Sephiroth at the Forgotten Capital?

20. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Oh yes. I always do. I even have it on my current playthrough.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Nanaki likes this.
  22. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    lol picking your own game as the highlight of the series.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    “But my game was the best and everyone loves my perfect character Lightning who is perfect and also my wife!!!”

24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    For the past decade people have criticized one thing or another with each numbered game that has been released to the franchise. With XIII it was because they called it "linear". With XV it's because the game was incomplete. They'll probably be releasing more DLC to XV in lieu of any hint of XVI for the foreseeable future.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999