main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

X-Men Blue 18
    Phoenix Resurrection Legacy The Return Of Jean Grey Part 1...I do like these 3D hologram covers.
    Doomsday Clock #2...this will be the first thing I read.
    Action Comics 994
    Moon Knight 190
    The Invincible Iron Man 595
    They were sold out of Thanos 14 which i am quite upset about.
    Grabbed free DC Essential Graphic Novels 2018 and Marvel Legacy Preview Infinity Countdown.

2. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    She-Hulk is cancelled

I hate that Foster/Thor is grouped in with failures. Foster/Thor has been the best thing since their reboot.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    *Sigh*

Will cancel my remaining Moon Knight comics on pre-order. 190 was not good (the dumbing down of Marlene, the lame jokes.)

Takes of Suspense 100 was fantastic so yay!

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I never read Moon Knight before so I have nothing to compare it too. Right now I like it.

Iron Man was great. I love Doom as a hero.

Phoenix Resurrection is cool. Magik just randomly turns up after months of nothing. In Uncanny she was handed a prophecy about a fall to evil, I wonder if they'll still pursue it.

Doomsday Clock. Rorschach meets Batman, Ozy meets Luthor and then

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Oops, dp. How do you do spoiler tags?

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] (minus the spaces)

7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    That is cool.

MK needs the right creator to fully understand Marc, his unique issues and the characters floating around him. There have been some great runs and horrid ones; this arc just disregarded how very strong Marlene has been throughout MK’s history. Yes, she has her own issues, but to throw in the angle Bermis did was a cop out and the constant winky humor is annoying.

I suppose this confirms just how much Axel Alonso guided and edited the heck out of 188 because dang...

If you can find the runs by Charlie Huston and work backward through Doug Monech’s work, you may understand why I am frustrated. That said, should Marc and co., get another run after this one I will always check in.

—-

I wish this Tales of Suspense with Clint and Bucky was an ongoing, some of Barton’s quips had me rolling. And Travel’s renderings of Bucky are great.

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    An email came from the store saying they were open today and having a 25% sale because it is their 25th anniversary. I didn't care about that. It reminded me Thanos 14 was sold out so i went and picked it up at another store in the chain. I did however pick up a Giant - Sized Artist's Proof Edition of Seven To Eternity.

9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    My shop changed their Previews Orders rules, you can only cancel now during the order period. Once that closes, you cannot cancel, but they were kind enough to axe MK 191 and 192 from my orders. I completely understand that rule, so I'll probably either wait on most arcs in collected used form going forward (after Tales of Suspense anyway.)

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    My feeling is that
    Dr. Manhattan created him to keep Adrian from finding him, or he's the result of Superboy-Prime meddling around.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Goddam comics delayed this week &^%(O#JIFSJOIDJIOSJD!!!!!!!

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, blizzards will do that.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    No excuses!

This week:

Batman White Knight 4
    Batman 38
    Astonishing X-Men 7
    X-Men Gold 19
    Captain America 697
    Iron Fist 76, this has been pretty good so far.

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    A Domino series

Cool. I started getting WeaponX to see more Domino but I didn't care for the comic at all.

15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Old Man Hawkeye 1 - very good start. For me, Marco Checchetto's true talents lie in super hero comics (his SW art is good), but there's a lot more passion in the design, execution and overall scope in his Marvel U work. So far, I like this version of Clint (rather than the already blind archer/swordsman.)

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm kind of surprised that the upcoming comic book of Domino doesn't have a Zazie Beats likeness, as it's not uncommon for the comic books to sway that way. Perhaps somewhere down the line this will happen.

I'm like a year behind on my comic book reading, so I'm thinking of just jumping in on Doomsday Clock and Batman Metal.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You can jump in on "Doomsday Clock" without having read all of the Superman titles, since the story takes place a year later.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Thanks! I was thinking that it would have been helpful to read the Superman books because of Mr. Oz.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    "The Oz Effect" and "Booster Shot" will tie-in in some form, but there's no rush for it right away. Dan Jurgens did consult with Geoff Johns about making sure that things line up, but it won't affect your reading. The question is if Jurgens will be around after Action #1000 or if Bendis will take over, since that's one character that he would love to tackle.

The only thing you need to know going into this is the story of "Watchmen", which I'm sure you have read and know the basics of both "The Button" and "Superman Reborn". With "Dark Knights: Metal", you need to know about the Court of Owls and Barbatos, since both factor in with the Dark Multiverse.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I almost passed on it. But, this week:

Old Man Hawkeye 1
    Old Man Logan 33
    Hawkeye and the Winter Soldier part 1 of 5
    Phoenix Resurrection 3
    Wonder Woman 38
    Action Comics 995
    Port Of Earth 3
    She-Hulk 161
    Avengers 675, No Surrender part 1. I hardly ever get Avengers, I'll give this a go.
    Deadman 3
    Daredevil 597
    X-Men Blue 19
    Witchblade 2..um..oops. I don't have #1, I thought this was #1.

The one Marvel exec said diversification killed sales. If that's the way they see it then it's no surprise she is not being changed.

21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I'm 1000x down with new characters and/or support characters stepping up into major roles, but the way Marvel handled the diversity was pretty bad (All or Nothing, and it made the existing characters look like crap. (Nazi Cap, Unworthy Thor etc.) ) This was not the way to do it. I'd harbor a guess that Nazi Cap, obnoxiously high prices, event fatigue and bad storylines were more to blame for weaker sales (Probably why Axel was shown the door.)

By Hawkeye and Winter Soldier 1, I take it you mean Tales of Suspense 100? (that was excellent.) I am tempted to see if 101 was released yet, but I have that and 102 coming in hard copy, so I am waiting.

Reread Wolverine: Old Man Logan. Still love McNiven's art and Hawkeye to an extent, but am not a fan of Logan or the world itself (Did Millar pay the Unforgiven screenwriter royalties? I sure hope so.)

As far as Old Man Hawkeye, I much prefer Ethan Sacks' take on this universe and the hook:
    Hawkeye's impending blindness
    and his own situation is far more interesting to me. Then again, I'm a sucker for mature archers/military characters. And then, CBR.com dropped this fun little what if onto the interwebs today (frankly, I'd love that. Feel that Renner has not gotten enough space to play Clint and that could be a LOT of fun.)

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Yes I meant Tales Of Suspense.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Right. When DC handled it, it wasn't very pleasant with Hal becoming Parallax and the JSA being decimated by Extant, but quality writers were able to turn it around afterwards. Other characters had better transitions. Marvel's been overdoing it and as you noted, it burned fans. Especially when you've had it twice within ten years. First Steve Rogers is taken out and replaced with Bucky, then as soon as he's back, Sam Wilson takes over. Meanwhile, Wally West had twenty years before Bart Allen took over. That fizzled and Wally returned. Then Barry came back and there was a shift to Barry, but Wally was still there as a support until "Flashpoint". Now, DC has learned from their mistakes and have slowly brought back the legacy characters.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Old man Hawkeye is indeed a good set up. Had to look up Tonya. Never saw her before. Barton's daughter is a full on post apocalypse school gangster, lol.

Most interesting thing in Phoenix Resurrection 3, Old Man Logan and Patch in the same comic.

I rarely ever got Avengers comics. I decided to give this No Surrender story a go. Something over the top happens to the Earth. Ok.

Master_Lok likes this.
  25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I can relate. I am not much of a "team" superhero reader (outside of Team X from the 90s Wolverine and X-Men titles), and some of Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four and New Avengers/Avengers. Hickman would always do something with the characters I enjoyed every few issues and even made those I did not know about interesting. Gosh, I miss his Marvel work.

I like that I do not care or need to know about the peripheral characters in Old Man Hawkeye (besides that time has to go into more important things.) His journey and physical plight is enough of a hook to keep me reading for now.