main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming What was the last videogame you beat?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Siths_Revenge, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I beat Life is Strange: Before the Storm the other day. I won't give away any spoilers, but I thought it was a pretty good game.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Finished Tales From The Borderlands and absolutely loved it.

3. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Life is Strange: Before the Storm. We thought the game was good, the story was solid. It made me like Chloe a lot more, as she was a bit irritating in the other LiS.

It was weird that the ending did not feature Rachel's death as much, which we expected, but that does mean that the first game was left unspoiled.

For the ending we chose:

Don't tell Rachel the truth

which turned out to be a much nicer ending once seeing the other option on youtube.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  4. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Did you watch the after-credits scene?
    The date on the phone with the missed calls is exactly the date on the missing persons posters from the first game. Pretty ominous.
    [\spoiler]

5. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    We did see it, it was very dark, was not expecting to have that kind of ending, but it was a good tie for the continuation of the next game. It made me feel a lot more sorry for Chloe as well, in LiS, my opinion of her was more that she was a brat. Now you can see when she went off the rails a bit, even more so when Rachel died/went missing.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I'll catch up with some reviews.

[​IMG]

Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series

This is the third Telltale game I've played after season one of Batman and Game of Thrones (I hope there's a season two of GoT). I loved them all, but Guardians of the Galaxy is my favourite. If you're a fan of the Guardians, whether it be from the films or comics, you're going to love this. They did everything right. Absolutely everything. Ok, I have one complaint. Rocket should've been less of a ****. He's my favourite Guardians character, and you spend a lot of time arguing with him. But that's it. That's all I can complain about.

Narrative: 9/10

This game had a really fun and interesting narrative. It honestly feels like you've been thrown into a Guardians of the Galaxy comic. They really make you feel like you're part of the team, and it's fantastic. I don't think I've laughed this much at a video game before. It's actually really funny.

Like the film Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, it has a surprisingly amount of emotion, and it's balanced perfectly with the humour. I thought it was just going to be a thrill ride the entire time, but man... There's some heavy moments. Some moments make you sad. Some moments make you happy... But emotionally happy. It's a roller coaster of emotions.

Characters and performances: 10/10

As I mentioned above, it feels like you've been thrown into a Guardians of the Galaxy comic. Every character is exactly like you already know them. Star-Lord is a cocky show off. Rocket is a sarcastic ****. Drax is hilariously childish. Gamora is a damaged badass. And Groot is, well... Groot. I love them all. The chemistry between the team is amazing. There's also some other great characters too.

The performances are all solid. Nothing groundbreaking, but every voice actor does each character justice.

Gameplay/Interactivity: 9/10

Since the Telltale games aren't known for their gameplay, but rather their choices and how you choose to let the story play out, I've changed this category to focus more on the interactivity and how I feel with all of the choices and outcomes.

Throughout the entire game, I always felt like I had a lot of responsibility with the decisions that I was making. I really felt like I was making a difference, and this is exactly how it should feel. After you finish a chapter, it reveals what other players chose compared to you, and it makes you realise just how many choices and different outcomes there are. There's also a lot of emotion behind some of the decisions.

A lot of the choices are quite funny too. Instead of saying something serious, you can do what Star-Lord would usually do and be a smart ass. I love it.

Soundtrack: 9/10

The soundtrack is awesome. They made their own 'Awesome Mix' just for the game full of songs that haven't been used in the films. Each of the songs work really well in the scenario that they're used.

The original score, although very minimal, is actually very nice. It's something you could listen to in the background while relaxing.

Overall: This is a really fun and emotional game with an amazing group of characters, that gets every aspect of the Guardians of the Galaxy spot on. Set to an awesome soundtrack, you're going to have a blast from start to finish throughout all five chapters. Being a Telltale game, you're going to have to make a lot of choices, some of which will be very important and effect the outcome, and some of which you can just have a bit of fun with.

Final score: 9/10

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Life likes this.
  7. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Star Fox 64 back on it's 20th anniversary in June.

Life likes this.
  8. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

Short but sweet, offering up solid gameplay with beautiful jungle environments and well as some solid writing. The only problems I had was the combat in some parts could get repetitive and the villains I didn't find that interesting.

Now off to Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

darkspine10 and Life like this.
  9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    You could be describing literally any of the Uncharted games here.

Chancellor Yoda and Life like this.
  10. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    Sorry, probably could have been more descriptive.

11. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I’ve never been a big fan of the Uncharted villains. But 2 and 4 definitely have the best.

12. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I wasn't taking a shot at you, just pointing out that as good as those games are, those attributes certainly apply to them all. :p @Jordan1Kenobi I gotta go with Kate Marlowe for my favorite Uncharted villain. Found her the most interesting, what with her past involvement with Sully and knowledge of Drake. Shoutout to Rafe for being a particularly good weasel.

Chancellor Yoda and Life like this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Ugh been playing the Frozen Wilds DLC of Horizon Zero Dawn and those Fireclaw machines are so frustratingly difficult to take down. I see these videos on Youtube of people boasting about how they could take them down in under a minute; but I just don't get it. Even on normal mode these things are so aggressive it's hard to get a good shot at their weak points.

14. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    Well playing through the second one I definitely see what you mean now. :p

15. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    After playing The Lost Legacy and getting to like her character a lot more, Nadine became my favourite villain. But I don’t know if she technically counts anymore, so I’d go with Lazaravić or Rafe.

16. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Yeah, there was enough of her in Uncharted 4 to make her interesting, but considering she's a protagonist in Lost Legacy, I wouldn't put her in the same category as the other villains in the franchise. Certainly a better character than all of them, though.

17. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I just finished Life is Strange. Holy moly that last chapter made me both uncomfortable and terrified. I’m still processing it. I’ll get a full review up later, but I can definitely see why so many people loved this game.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Without spoiling...
    "save the Bae" or "Save the Bay"?

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  19. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Lol. That’s clever. Save the bay. Definitely.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Not me. The game gave me enough of an emotional roller coaster, and I grew too fond of Chloe by the end. It really was a no-brainer. I do plan on replaying it again to see the alternative ending.

21. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    [​IMG]

Life is Strange

This game was on sale on the PlayStation store for next to nothing, so I thought I'd give it a go. Why have I never played this before?! Wow!

Narrative - 10/10

When it comes to games, I want to be invested in the story as I'm going to be spending hours and hours playing it. I want to be fully taken into the game world to make it feel like an experience, rather than just casually hitting buttons on a controller to make stuff happen. If the game isn't interesting, then I'm going to get sick of it pretty quickly. Life is Strange got everything right. It was very original and creative. It was intense. There were genuine moments of shock, sadness, relief, anger, happiness and just about every feeling under the sun. Just when I thought the first three episodes were already great, episodes four and five took it to a new level. Absolute brilliant storytelling. And that big twist. Oh boy, that was genius!

Characters and performances - 10/10

A great game always needs a strong lead character, and Max definitely filled this spot. I enjoyed playing as her every step of the way. It's not often that I find myself relating to characters in games and films, but with finishing a course in design myself a year ago, and sharing similar attributes to Max, I actually could relate to her. I was unsure about Chloe to begin with, and I still wouldn't say I love her character, but she definitely added some great chemistry between her and Max and added a lot to the story. There was a great range of supporting characters in this game, some of which I liked, and some of which I hated. It was like being in school again.

Max and Chloe's voice actors gave some pretty fantastic performances, and the rest of the cast gave really solid performances as well. Everyone was believable.

Gameplay/interactivity - 9/10

Like the Telltale games, this game wasn't supposed to focus on gameplay, which is completely fine, so I'll be focusing on the interactivity here. Some choices were very tough. I often found myself pausing the game to think about it. It constantly felt like I was making important choices and that everything was in my hands, which is exactly what you want from these types of games.

There were some puzzles here and there, which were actually challenging. I'm sure everyone remembers the board full of clues you had to solve. My oh my. My brain got a good work out from that! There were also enough extra bits and pieces to discover and see.

Soundtrack - 7/10

I wasn't a fan of the songs used in the game, but they were actually perfect for the game itself, so I can't really complain there. The original score added some decent music for the background. There were no problems, but nothing stood out much.

Overall: Brilliant storytelling with genuine moments of genius made a very gripping and innovative game that's nothing like I've ever played before. A great cast of characters with a very strong lead, complimented the story perfectly. I went through a roller coaster of emotions throughout all five episodes.

Final score: 9/10 (Amazing)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Life, Ahsoka's Tano and darkspine10 like this.
  22. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Sonic Forces

A step-back from the heights of Generations and Unleashed, the levels being way too short. The boost function is no longer powered by rings, instead you're limited to areas with capsules. Combined with the short levels, you can never build up a really fun speed.

The 'Classic' and avatar stages take even more speed away, which is another shame.

The story is nonsense on stilts, but it's Sonic, that's par for the course.

Music was quite nice, lots of memorable vocal tracks.

Jedi Knight Fett and Life like this.
  23. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    Uncharted: The Nathen Drake Collection

Actually beat this awhile ago just forgot to post it. Anyways, had a real blast with this trilogy and can see why its so beloved by many. My personal favorite would probably be the third one as a feel it had some of the most interesting levels and set pieces yet. The look into both Nathans and Sullys past and the feeling of closure with Drakes legacy made it better story then the other two IMO (even though the villains are still pretty dull).

Life likes this.
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    @Jordan1Kenobi Will you eventually get the prequel game (Before the Storm)? I just completed the third and final episode a few weeks ago. I thought it was all right; but for the most part it doesn't give you the feels that the original game gave. And on top of that, because of a voice actor's strike the original VA's were replaced. But I'm waiting for a bonus "Farewell" episode that comes with the Deluxe edition. It's supposed to take place around the time when Max leaves Chloe for Seattle, and this time the original VAs are back.

25. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    I’d like to give it a try eventually, but from what I’ve heard I’m in no rush to try it straight away. I have a feeling the prequel will mainly focus on the drama and not have the supernatural side that Life is Strange did. Am I right in saying that?