main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rank The Indiana Jones Saga

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Word was that he still gets listed as executive producer, but that he's basically not involved with the project. Due to his close friendship with Spielberg, he might be more involved than on the new Star Wars movies, but I doubt it's going to be much.

By his own words he's retired. And he has a small child to care for as well.

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Raiders
    Last Crusade
    Crystal Skull
    Temple of Doom

Dagobahsystem and Alexrd like this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    How would he be an executive producer? He has no executive power within Lucasfilm. He could provide the story (like in all previous movies) or be a consultant, but sadly I doubt that will happen.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  4. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    He could get a ceremonial "executive producer" empty credit, but it seems clear he will not be involved in the creation of the movie.

5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Being an executive producer has nothing to do with having executive power within a production company. In this case he could be listed as executive producer because he has always been executive producer on the franchise. Stuff like that happens all the time, there are countless people who got such a credit even though they weren't really involved anymore. Unlike many of the other credits, an executive produer credit isn't nearly as defined. You can't cheat a writer out of a writing credit, but you can randomly assign executive producer titles for anyone you want to.

6. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    1. Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    2. The Last Crusade
    3. Temple Of Doom
    4. Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

I've seen Raiders over 15 times for sure.
    Doom, close to 10. Crusade only twice and Crystal Skull only once.

So, I'm due for a rewatch of the franchise.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It actually does.

True, but they do have prominent roles within the production company (and therefore executive power in its productions), hence why they get such credit even though they may not be actively involved. Lucas himself is an example of both cases.

8. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    1) The Last Crusade - The combination of Harrison Ford and Sean Connery cannot be beat. They both have incredible chemistry that gives the Father and Son duo a lot to work with on a dramatic scale
    2) Raiders of the Lost Ark - I don't think there's anything I can say that has not already been said. It just simply gets everything right.
    3)Temple of Doom - This one gets some backlash, but I still love it. Has a certain intensity in spots that you simply do not see in Summer bockbusters today.
    4)Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Long story short: 2 hours before attending the midnight screening, I was telling a friend that previous scripts of Indiana Jones IV from the 90's had aliens in it and specifically asked "How bad would it be if there were ALIENS in an INDIANA JONES movie?" Needless to say I got my answer and my internal screaming was deafening.

Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  9. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    My favorite lines from The Last Crusade:

Dr. Schneider after kissing Indy: "This is how we say goodbye in Austria."
    SS Colonel: "And this is how we say goodbye in Germany, Dr. Jones." *strikes Indy hard, causing him to bump heads with his father.
    Indy: "I like the Austrian way better."
    Indy's father: "So did I."

10. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    It's definitely a good series to re-visit.

11. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Huh, meant to quote Dagobah System, not sure why the quote function isn't working right?

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Raiders
    Crusade
    Temple
    Skull

Sarge likes this.
  13. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    If/When Indy 5 is made it'll be interesting to see both the fan reaction and where it typically ranks. It'll be something if it ends up being something akin to Indy's equal of TLJ.

14. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Raiders
    Temple of Doom
    Last Crusade

Crystal Skull

Raiders is always #1 for me but Temple of Doom flip over time. I used to be relatively sour on Temple of Doom for years (though only so much so since I probably saw it 60 times in the theaters it seems like) but time has been kind to it.

Last Crusade is great too though and there isn't that much distance between the Indiana Jones OT though Raiders is clearly my #1 non Star Wars movie.

I'm not sour on Crystal Skull in general, I just think it is a far weaker film than the first three. It is like the step down from the first two Godfather movies and then come 3 which is and of itself an okay mafia movie it's just a bit jarring of a step down.
    I should watch it more though, I've probably not seen it more than five times which is number that can't be compared to the other three.

15. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Crystal Skull got a lot better for me with rewatches. The first time it was definitely a bitter disappointment and that was largely due to overly high expectations. But overtime rewatches and viewing it alongside the original three it got a lot better. It's a film time has been kind to.

{Quantum/MIDI} and PCCViking like this.
  16. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    With the news Indy 5 is next up for Spielberg as one of his potential next films we'll probably get more news these coming months. I'm very happy to hear Indy 5 is finally getting going, with Harrison's older age it's getting to the point of now or never.

17. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    My original rank for them remains:

TOD
    ROTLA
    KOTCS
    TLC

I like them all very much.

Encuentro likes this.
  18. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Just realized it was four years ago I started this, time sure flies. Between that and realizing KOTCS turns 10 this year, time isn't what it used to be.

It really says something about larger than life, iconic film series like Indy and SW that all these years later people still talk about and remember them, and get inspiration to create their own fiction. It's like they've gone so far beyond their beginnings in film.

Encuentro likes this.
  19. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Raider is the best, in my opinion, but Crusade will always be my favorite.

PCCViking likes this.
  20. Gerald's Game

Gerald's Game Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2017
    1) Raiders

Temple of Doom

Last Crusade

Didn't see fourth film

21. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    The fourth isn't so bad, just keep expectations in check going into it.

Gerald's Game likes this.
  22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I hated KOTCS for a long time. I had big expectations and I felt crushed. I truly felt like I was punched in the guts. But once I accepted the movie FOR WHAT IT WAS, a nod to the B-movies, I was more accepting. I'm not the biggest champion of the film or anything because it's still my least favorite in the saga. But any hate I had is gone.

23. Gerald's Game

Gerald's Game Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2017
    Did anyone here enjoy the Indy films so much they had to buy every action figure? I always wanted the Temple of Doom action figures. I see them at conventions sometimes. Ebay has them.

I have always found it hard to believe a parent would want their kid to play with a Mola Ram action figure.

[​IMG]

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  24. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I'm long overdue to watch all of these again; perhaps a marathon is in order?
    My rankings haven't changed since last I posted here, but they might if I can find time to rewatch all these great movies.

1. Raiders (must have seen this one over 15 times)

2. Crusade (only seen it twice, but I thought it was great)

3. Doom (used to watch this all the time, seen it like 10 times, was my favorite at one point, ages ago)

4. Crystal Skull (only saw it once, but I liked it)

25. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

The huge hype and expectations were definitely a big factor in the disappointment many felt. The first new Indy movie in nearly two decades, how was the hype not going to be through the roof? I definitely felt badly let down when I first saw it, but the more I rewatched it and also marathoned it alongside the original three I enjoyed it much more and began to appreciate it for what it was, rather than the movie I imagined in my head in the months leading up to the release. That's why it's so important not to get too caught up in hype for certain movies because after a while you envision the movie being a certain way and when it turns out to be different from your expectations, you're bound to be disappointed. Back in 2008 I shared the disappointment so many felt, but nowadays I like it much more.

themoth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.