main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo) in Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by ScorpionJedi, May 5, 2016.

1. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004

Lol! Yes, I'd like this twice if I could. So sick of people acting like they know what everyone else likes. We get it, you're not excited about it. Don't ruin it for everyone else.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Honestly, one could say that about any of the spinoffs. Technically no one NEEDS any of them. We didn't NEED Rogue One. That has nothing to do with whether or not many of us WANT it. Which is more than enough.

I know I'm excited for Solo at least-actually, I'm more excited for Solo than I was for Rogue one at this point before release!

3. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I know I'm more excited for SOLO than I was for Rogue One... but I'm also more nervous for it. After TLJ splitting fans right down the middle we really need SOLO to be good and bring us all back together. Hopefully it can do that.

Mostly Handless and jimtalkbox like this.
  4. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    The Star Wars fandom has been heavily split since 1999 (well, ROTJ was pretty divisive, too, but SW kind of disappeared after that for a bit...). I don't expect Solo to suddenly fix that. This Last Jedi split is far less crazy than most of the discussions after each of the prequels and we all survived that.

5. The Wagonmaster

The Wagonmaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2017
    Alden Ehrenreich is good in Hail, Caesar! and I hope he's a good Han Solo and all, but has anyone noticed he's an Emile Hirsch clone, or is it just me?

6. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    To be fair, when TPM came out in 1999 I was 10 and we didn’t get the internet until I was 17. So I pretty much missed all the prequel bashing and arguments as each film was released. Fans being this split to a new SW movie is new to me. So I guess what I’m trying to say is I hope Solo is mostly well received, from fans and critics, like Rogue One was.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I was here on Theforce.net and other Star Wars boards all through the prequel days (yeah, I am old...) and it was far worse than this. I see what you're hoping for but I think once things calm down, the division that TLJ has created won't seem all that large of a division.

Yeah, though, it would be really cool if Solo is universally well-received but the pessimistic side of me thinks that may be impossible for a Star Wars movie. Fans just want so many different things out of these movies that it is hard to please the majority of them. The praise of the script makes me really hopeful.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ehrenreich has a lot to live up to. Hopefully he does.

Seriously, A LOT. You either recast Harrison Ford as Indy or you recast him as Han. Both have a difficultly level of 110%.

So hopefully Ehrenreich pulls it off!

9. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think because many are expecting the worst from this movie that it will end up surprising people and be better than expected.

Half the fanbase will probably instantly hate it though because not only have you recasted han solo but you are doing a prequel origin story where you tell fans how certain events happened and thats always gonna be indecisive.

10. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. I'm sure there will be many going in at the beginning of it that have their own headcanon of how things played out in Han's history-and if it differs from what they always figured, then that means the film sucks. For a film containing such iconic and defining story elements for such an iconic and favorite character-originally played by such an iconic and favorite actor, IMO asking people to go into this one with an open mind (like we were pretty much told to do with TLJ) is definitely unrealistic!

11. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm not liking this trend where if someone doesn't like a new movie, it's automatically because they are attached to the Legends version of the story. I know in my case and many others, that's untrue.

I was very attached to Kyle Katarn and how he stole the Death Star plans in Legends, but I loved Rogue One. Because it was a good film.

I was also very attached to the Legends portrayal of Luke after ROTJ. However, attachment to that is not why I disliked 7 and 8. It's because I felt the stories were bad and they went the complete wrong way of how characters were portrayed in the OT--the Legends portrayals had nothing to do with it.

You can have a Star Trek film where Spock sells out the Federation to the Romulans for 5 million bars of latinum and a permanent resort on Orion. The new writers can then write a justification saying it's due to Pon Farr withdrawal. People who don't like this can point to the obvious contradictions in character and should not be accused of not having an open mind.

Gamma626 likes this.
  12. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think the problem is that once Lucasfilm tell you how events happened with fan faves in official live action then thats new canon and thats how things went down.

Its like people still have an issue with R2D2 being able to fly in the prequels because he didn't in the OT and yet its such a small detail that while apparently you can make BB8 be this weirdly OP droid who can somehow get into walkers and control them using his little droid arms to safe the day... R2 needs to be remain kinda grounded.

I don't think the legends stuff help either because they give fans something to compare, so while you have luke do his thing in legends all we get from luke in TLJ is... well... not much at all.

Mostly Handless and DARTH_BELO like this.
  13. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I see your point. I will however just reiterate that I was referring not so much to what fans had read in Legends material-but rather expectations they've formulated in their own head, specifically about different plot and storylines and how they might not live up to certain fan's expectations. My overall point is that I imagine some may see these expectations-more so for this one than other films, given the subject material-getting in the way of their enjoyment of the film, even if it is a great SW film.

14. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I'm very optimistic for this movie. I certainly expect it to be much better than The Last Jedi.

I am also eager to see how Alden Ehrenreich does as Han.

15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Imagine if it's like RO where it's not only good but actually rivals the best films in the saga! I know you are a huge fan as well but I still can't believe how good RO is - I never thought anything would touch the OT...ever!

I am playing this one safe in my own mind and keeping myself in the "If it's good it's good - If it's not it's not" crew.

Chief concerns are obviously -

Han. Big shoes to fill...huge shoes. I wanted Anthony Ingruber originally because he already looked like a younger Han and that is half the battle... If Sebastian Stan got a between ROTJ and TFA Luke gig I also wouldn't be worried because with a beard he would almost look identical. They have to look alike ESPECIALLY when the films are set so close. I have made peace with that now as he is close enough...but can he act like Han - We'll see.

Aesthetic. RO nailed the look and feel of the OT timeline. The ST has mostly done this also but the minute they go all cgi environment and polished looking sets and ships I go :oops:

Continuity. Don't mess with it so much that it makes us view the OT Han differently...

Other than that - I'm good to go!

Blue 5 likes this.
  16. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Getting fed up with those that didn't like TLJ imagining this 50/50 split.

TadoFett likes this.
  17. TadoFett

Aug 16, 2004
    Exactly! Was TLJ universally loved? No, there are a minority who hated it. However, to pretend it is a 50/50 split is ridiculous (appearances on these boards not withstanding)

Getting back to Solo though. The leaked Lego images confirm that the Falcon has some of it's old, blue markings, as seen very briefly, and small, in ROTS. It seems a natural progression between the design below, and that which we know and love:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...SFalcon.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20060923060728

There was a rumor about a cargo pod that fits in between the mandibles of the Falcon, and it does appear as if they are going to have that in the movie. I suspect we'll be seeing the Sabacc game in which Solo wins it from Lando.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I really hope this guy can act... I actually don't think I've seen him in anything [face_thinking] I don't want another HC scenario where (I'll word this fairly as I have seen solid performances from him) they don't get the best performance they could have from the actor!

19. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

He’s very good in Hail Caesar. Whether that means he can pull off stepping into Ford’s shoes, who knows? Fingers crossed. Everything hinges on the casting.

20. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The big differences we will see with the Falcon;

1, The paint job - White and Blue.
    2, The extra pod between the mandibles.
    3, A single cannon in the turrets rather than the quads.
    4, A retractable sensor dish.
    5, The interior will be fresh and clean.
    6, Everything will work.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Updated thread title.

22. TadoFett

Aug 16, 2004
    Interesting. Looking at the Lego leaks for Solo, it is confirmed that they are keeping some version of Han being a former Imperial. I can't tell based off the toys, but it looks like he has an outfit similar to General Veers when he's driving the AT-AT in ESB. The old canon has Han as a former cadet or pilot, maybe they're tweaking that a bit?

Also, Kessel confirmed, which has been rumored for quite a while.

23. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't mind Han being an Impeirial Officer. It gives a new layer of depth to Han and Finn in TFA.

When I first watched TFA and Finn told Han he was a First Order deserter my mind went to Han being an imperial officer in the EU so I'm glad it's canon now.

24. rg1fan123

rg1fan123 Jedi Padawan

Feb 8, 2016
    I took it as him being in disguise

25. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    What BB-8 did is nothing compared to Chopper in Rebels