main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Prequel fans - Would you be open to Special Editions of the PT...?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Avnar, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The PT has already received the Special Edition treatment, although the additions and revisions are relatively and appropriately minor when compared to the OT.

The complete opposite to me. Only the artist (Lucas) should be allowed to change his movies. Not someone else.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It could be argued Lucas already done his special editions of these movies, they were just never titled it.

When it comes to lucasfilm or Disney making their own changes its possible part of the deal says they can't change anything.

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    The owners can also change them. Lucas told Kirshner & Marquand that TESB & RotJ were "their movies", then he changed them later. Which as the owner he was perfectly entitled to do. Lucas then put his hand out & pocketed $4bn from Disney. Of course that entitles them to change their properties. Out of respect though they should always make the Lucas versions available too.

Avnar likes this.
  4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Curiosity would probably lead me to looking up what they changed, but overall I'm quite comfortable with the 2011 Blu-ray set as the definitive SW experience.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Doesn't mean I think they should. Fortunately Lucas was cautious about that when he sold the company, as expected of him.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    They were never "their" movies. Lucas "changed" them quite a bit BEFORE they were released in 1980 and 1983.

About this topic, I think most people tend to overestimate the amount of changes that were made in the SE (even though I'm assuming we're counting the changes made in 2004 and 2011 as well). Even though they were controversial, they were mostly minor changes. Episode IV was the only one that was more noticeably changed, and only in two sections of the movie. Only one deleted scene was added in the whole trilogy.

7. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Yeah please, more CGI and deleted scenes of Jar Jar featuring slapstick

8. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Don't worry. I heard there will be a real desert and more emotions packed in.

9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    If George made them, yes. In fact he kinda already did it with the Blu-Rays.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would be fine if they felt like updating the CGI in some area's, but thats about it.

CGI Yoda was way better then puppet Yoda in TPM.

11. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Shirtless Ray Park, please ;)

Avnar and Deliveranze like this.
  12. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    yep, if it's from Lucas

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The specific cgi I would want fixed up in AOTC's would be some of the Jedi Temple interior shots, Kamino interior shots and a couple on Geonosis! The cgi in TPM was better imo.

14. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    All right... Why not?

I have no problem with that, but OK. And updating Jar Jar and the Gungans to today's CGI would be OK.

But that was the point! At the time of TPM, those droids presented menace to unarmed people. That's why they enslaved Naboo. The Jedi cut them like butter, yes. And as the galaxy became more and more violent place, the droid industry provided some more lethal models.

And my biggest wish, my eternal desire - insert Qui-Gon's voice at the end of ROTS. Those scenes in the script were awesome, too bad Liam Neeson couldn't make them.

15. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I actually would love if they let John Williams come back and rescore some of the stuff that was effed up after recording, most prominently the entire last act of TPM which was dramatically re-edited after the score was recorded.

16. Valency Jane

Valency Jane Force Ghost star 6

Jan 17, 2016
    To me the PT looks great as is & doesn't need any touchups or added cg; but when it comes to small details like the backgrounds or what have you where there could be touch-ups I usually don't notice them. :p

I think that TPM, AOTC, and ROTS are great as they stand. However, I'd love it if they could add in the deleted scenes in AOTC pertaining to Padme & Anakin visiting her family, & in ROTS of the beginnings of the rebellion w/Padme. To me it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to fit them in to the existing movies, & would give movie depth to Padme & Ani's relationship, & Padme's part in what would become the rebellion. But the fact that we have those scenes at all is great, so, yeah.

I don't think Disney'd go back & do anything super drastic with the PT. [face_thinking] But as technology advances in the future I can definitely see them tweaking the picture & presentation of the PT (& OT), just for the highest quality experience. They've done this with their own movies as they've released them on DVD, then Blu-Ray, now (I presume) 4-K. Beauty & the Beast comes to mind; when they released that on dvd the 1st time; came w/a few versions: original theatrical, test screening in NYC (I think; never actually watched that one), & the new version with the added Human Again sequence. I forget if the picture was polished up in all 3, but definitely the new one. I think they may have done that with Aladdin too, but not sure. Granted, I know these aren't the same since they're Disney's own, but still. Gives me an idea of what could possibly happen with the PT in particular; maybe going back and giving two versions of TPM: original theatrical & the final, home video version. Or more likely that they don't mess with them anymore to maintain status quo and not cause a stir. :p

(wonder what's more likely to occur first: SEs of the PT or getting new releases of the Ewok movies...[face_thinking] :p)

Triad Moons and Dagobahsystem like this.
  17. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh there are already a bunch of CG shots that have not aged well in all three PT films. It's been a long time since I have watched any of them, so I can't recall many off the top of my head, but yeah... there's some pretty shoddy work that could be improved.

Avnar likes this.
  18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I know it's pathetic - But I love Caravan of Courage! That and The Neverending Story were my favourite films when I was a kid :cool: I never saw Battle for Endor until I was an adult (didn't know it existed??) and hated it...HATED it! I wonder how I would have felt about it IF I had of seen it as a child [face_thinking] Nostalgia is an interesting thing...

Dagobahsystem and Valency Jane like this.
  19. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I'd prefer if Williams could score the Battle of Geonosis. The Battle of Naboo at least features new original music that thematically belongs within the movie. It's a shame he never got to create the score for the climatic battle of episode II.

20. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    All of those locations were actually models, or matte paintings.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    You mean the movies they never could have possibly made because he wrote and produced them and was effectively co-director on both of them?

Oh those movies!

Wrenegade and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  22. Lost_Trekkie

Lost_Trekkie Jedi Knight

Jun 6, 2017
    I'm of the complete opposite mindset.

23. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Actually, I would love an updated version of AOTC. I think it's the most ambitious of the movies but it could use some TLC.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  24. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    The only thing I wish would be fixed would be the re-edit that was done on the Blu-Ray of AOTC after the Dooku/Yoda fight. It's just...awkward.

But, yes, only Lucas should be able to edit/make changes/additions to his films. Suggesting that the studio do so is just opening the freaking floodgates for any studio to make their own cut of a well loved film.

25. ChillCaladbolg

ChillCaladbolg Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2017
    As long as Lucas is the one doing them, then of course!