main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT 'Death Star' and 'Star Destroyer' were terms coined by the Alliance right?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DealAlterer, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Not ANH, but- "Sir. We have a priority signal from Star Destroyer Avenger."

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    darklordoftech and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I've heard of a couple of Royal Navy ship classes that follow different rules than first-ship-of-the-class. There were T-class destroyers, all with names beginning with the letter T. There were Flower-class corvettes, each one named for a different flower. There were County-class ships, each named for a different county.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    To be fair, you can say that the use of Imperial Class distinguishes from Republic Class. Granted, the latter hasn't been used, but it does work.

4. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Thank you for those fascinating posters. I miss the world of Star Wars of 1977-79, before the dark times, before TESB.

5. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    Do you not enjoy ESB? Just curious. I love talking to first generation fans.

For the record ANH is my favorite too and I don't love that ESB ignores some of it's story aspects, but still... it's hard for me not to like it.

6. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I enjoy TESB, but it took the story in directions that I do not like at all (such as Vader being Luke's father). The 1977 Star Wars film has been my favorite movie ever since I first saw it in June 1977 when I was 7 years old. The original movie is the only thing in my personal Star Wars canon. Everything else is a mixed bag for me.

Snafu55 likes this.
  7. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    In the OT it did not seem to be common knowledge that the Emperor was a Sith Lord or in any way a Force user. Vaders origins also seemed to be a bit murky with perhaps Tarkin and a few others having some idea but not the complete picture.

I suspect that Palpatine would not want his true nature revealed as it could cause unease in the ranks if they knew how they and everyone else had been so completely manipulated be a single person for the sole purpose of his rise to power and the defeat of the Jedi.

8. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I totally respect this point of view!

There are certain aspects of ANH I wish they would have kept. I think Vader being an agent of the empire and the sith being it's own separate entity is WAYYY more interesting than having Vader outright command the empire. I also think Leia really regresses as a character.

But ESB did give us super star destroyers, the imperial march, Hoth, AT-AT's, Yoda, Cloud City... it's timeless contributions to the 'canon' are just too great to ignore for me. It's not as good as ANH overall but it's still a magical film. And I absolutely dig the Vader twist.

But ANH as this standalone, gritty film... is also magical. It's hard to argue that you needed anything more after that ending.

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    For some chronological pre-OT context... in Rogue One, Galen Erso says “we call it the Death Star.”

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Depends on what your source is. In the old EU, the Death Star had an official name, but it was widely known as the Death Star. Tarkin disliked the name, finding it melodramatic. Bearing that in mind, what Galen Erso says makes sense. "There is no better name," he said.

11. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    In Brian Daley's radio drama "Death Star" was the Empire's top-secret codename for the battlestation.

Princess Leia's slip of the tongue created an interesting scene, i.e. she said "Death Star" which made Lord Tion (the antagonist) understand that Leia must be working for the Alliance.

IIRC no one in ANH ever calls the "battle station" in-universe "Death Star". [face_thinking]

Unless I'm mistaken it's not until ROJ:

VADER The Death Star will be completed on schedule.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Rebels do. And one Imperial:

"The Death Star plans are not in the main computer" - Imperial officer on Tantive IV

"The Death Star has cleared the planet, the Death Star has cleared the planet" - announcement after the Death Star gains line-of-sight to Yavin IV.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  13. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    ^ Thanx, I can't believe I missed this particular one (and reminds me of yet unfinished business regarding the Tantive IV...) [face_blush]

14. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    1 & 3 count.

2 does not - as it was another poor special edition 'fix'

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Here's the ANH shooting script: https://www.starwarz.com/starkiller...ures-of-luke-starkiller-revised-fourth-draft/
    I think the idea when the OT films were released was that the Dark Lords of the Sith were a group of Jedi who pledged themselves to the Emperor and helped him wipe out the Jedi. Initially, there were many of them and Vader was low-ranked among them, but by the time of ANH, all of them are dead except for Vader. This explains why Vader says, "I was but the learner, now I am the master." At the time of ANH's release, the idea was that the Emperor himself wasn't a Force-user and the Dark Lords of the Sith developed their dark side teachings from their Jedi knowledge, but ESB changed it to the Emperor being a dark side master who introduced the Dark Side to those who would become the Dark Lords of the Sith.

I think it would have been cool if TFA either made Snoke a non-Force-user or had Snoke rule through a non-Force-using puppet ruler.

16. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    In terms of "destroyer" one thing to consider is that by the release of Starwars most navy's were shifting away from battelships, destoryers were becoming the main non aircraft carrier design.

Snafu55 likes this.
  17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    That just reminded me to go look at Wookieepedia again...thank god they changed the page name back to "Death Star" from "DS-1 Orbital Battle Station". Everyone in and out of universe calls it the Death Star, but no, they had to go with the really obscure in-universe designation that nobody mentions.

18. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Two of the first three words of the first sentence spoken by an Imperial in the first Star Wars film are "death" and "star".

Alpha-Red likes this.