main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    Like I said, it's an AU that was planned before TLJ, so it discards TLJ in any capacity. I might adapt some characters from it( although, judging by the people's reaction to Holdo and Rose, I am not sure if this is a wise idea) like I am currently doing with some Legends characters, but not more than that. Hell, even if I planned this fanfic after TLJ, I would 100% discard TLJ other than some elements. Edit: I do like the fish people and the Porgs though, they can stay.

Also, which is a better idea after all? Luke looking for an artifact for 6 years, or Luke holding back Snoke for 6 years?

P. S. I am Ukrainian IRL, and Google's misuse of clauses annoys me.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Master_Lok and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @FireKeeper maybe a compromise between the two. Looks for the artifact for part of the time, discovers it is a threat and "guards" its access to keep others safe for the rest of the time. I also agree that perhaps having an external explanation for the lack of communication. [face_thinking]

3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I feel less lonely now, in terms of people who use Cyrillic alphabet and old calendarists.

Master_Lok likes this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Wow. Coincidence!

You could always pick a language that is exotic to you, and where you would not know the clauses.

I don't see the point in guarding anything for years on end. If it was okay in the tomb before you came along, and you have not done anything stupid to either activate it or trap yourself, I would slowly retrace my steps and leave it alone. Then make the planet off-limits somehow.

So out of the choices, looking for it for six years, sounds more viable.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Master_Lok likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    one way is to do it after the creator: 'Undar's cage', 'a Undar prison', 'Undar's Force cage', 'the crystal Cage of Undar', etc.

6. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    So I am polishing my first SW fan fic in 20 years (Pre-Clone Wars era - it is mentioned that Dooku is meeting Ventress in Lower Coruscant but this is before he's outted as Darth Tyrannus).

The tags I kind of get...but the eras and what they might be are throwing me way off. Help, please.

Findswoman likes this.
  7. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    From the Master List of fics:

Helpful?

Findswoman likes this.
  8. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Thank you. I suppose it would be Saga TCW - AU since it's slightly alternate universe.

Appreciate it.

9. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @Master_Lok The prefix system is being revamped now that we have the board upgrade (Bri just started a thread about that here) so for now I think you just want to go with Saga - PT (since TCW takes place within the timeframe of the PT, whether it's an AU or not).

Master_Lok and divapilot like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Ha! I read TTT as a comic, I saw eight episodes of Rebels, the second half of the TCW film, the 1980s cartoon series and tie-ins to those (my expertise, LOL), 11 minutes of Holiday Special, read all of Legacy and Legacy: War, dabbled with new canon comics, ANH novelisation, first draft for the ROTJ script, Corellian Trilogy, KOTOR, Dawn of the Jedi and its tie-in book. Only that much, yup. [face_blush] We're both bad. :D

I thought about this a lot...and eventually decided against updating any of those three epics until February, despite having enough chapters ready. Why?

This month I have to write two award fics (one is from 2016 and I'm NOT proud of that!), the holiday fic-gift, the lost bet fic...even the stuff that I was 100% sure I would post in December and a random dare I got in the social thread might have to wait. So, it's basically updating the most recent epic, focusing on the four gifts/prizes and hopefully doing the overdue graphic and e-book work.

And yeah, commenting on the months' worth of stories I have missed or am chapters behind with is in order, too. ;)

:p:p:p How about those you're not in? [face_devil]

Master_Lok likes this.
  11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I’ve read

Legacy, Legacy War, Dawn of the Jedi and it’s tie in novel, the six Lucas film novelizations, Splinter In the Mind’s Eye when it was released, the first Thrawn trilogy, some of the young Obi-Wan books, Dark Empire and Dark Empire II, the Dass Jannir stuff in Star Wars Dark Times, the Cestus Deception and NUCanon dealing with Obi-Wan. I only own DoTJ and those nuCanon comics though. Barely watched the TCW and have the Lucas SW stored in my memory.

Not a fan of the NuCannon movies outside of Rogue One so far, so I will leave that alone.

Not bad, just selective. :p [:D] So those are generally where my fiction will be based (along with heavy influences from old American & foreign genre movies I love.)

Many thanks. I will use Saga - PT AU. :)

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  12. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    @Master_Lok I think the great thing about fanfiction is that you can pick and choose the bits you want and don't want. For example my one of my previous stories featured Mara and several other Legends characters but definitely took place within TCW/Rebels timeline because I wanted to include Ahsoka. Great thing about fanfiction is that you can adapt and change things as you see fit. You might not own the sandbox but you're free to build any kind of castle you want in it :)

13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Ewok Poet and gaarastar58 like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    @Master_Lok - The Balkans are a place where one doesn't really own things. The only things I physically have are copies of Rogue Planet, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Truce at Bakura and ROTJ novelisation...as well as a bunch of Ewoks-related picture books etc and the Ewoks/Droids comic omnibus. Everything else, weeeell...[face_whistling]

AND LEGACY AND DOTJ FANS ARE A MINORITY HERE. LET'S KEEP THE FIRE BURNING! [face_love]

Snocone, whiskers and Master_Lok like this.
  15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I will definitely be writing DoTJ fan fic. Love what John and Jan did with SW. So you can count on me for that eventually.

whiskers and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I'm certainly a fan of both, I just haven't had any real plot bunnies in either era.

Ewok Poet and Master_Lok like this.
  17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    No Legacy plot bunnies, but would happily read some. Off topic, but glad your pipes were fixed @whiskers. It is quite cold here so I can only imagine how much fun that was.

whiskers and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Unless I'm wrong, only @divapilot and I wrote Legacy since I've joined this board.

Master_Lok likes this.
  19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    When I get this fic down, I will definitely look for those

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Ok, so I posted replies to a story, and now I've somehow locked the thread. How do I unlock it?

21. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That's another thing that stopped working correctly when they fixed the prefixes. (They are part of the same add-on that allows us to adjust different forums permissions.) I'll unlock it for you if you want to PM me the thread.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  22. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Thank you, Mav!

Did I do something to lock it? I want to be able to post replies and keep it open and I don’t want to have to bother you to unlock it. Maybe I should just not touch anything that deals with thread status?

Ya know, you fix one thing and something else breaks. :p

23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I believe that the same happened to Ny and earlybird's thread, too.

24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It's actually odd that you were able to lock it because I think the same permission allows for locking too. (And I just tried to lock a thread in a sock and I couldn't.) It might have been some strange glitch. I'll bring it up in MS.

Edit: I just did a test and I see that thread locking/unlocking by user is working in the story forums but not here in Resource.

And no worries about us unlocking, it's a super easy fix. Back before we moved to to Xenforo there was no way for anyone to unlock their own threads and IGN autolocked threads after 6 months or so, so we did a lot of unlocking.

Yeah, I saw that this morning and didn't think anything of it, but now I think you are right.

Ewok Poet and divapilot like this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I was tweaking with Thread Tools trying to figure out [face_laugh] if I could edit the title. :p Accidentally locked the thread but thankfully was able to unlock it again.

Seemed like mavjade and Mira_Jade were able to edit the titles -- Mira was able to do so for an update posted today. :confused:

Ewok Poet likes this.