main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #7-12: The Dying Light/ Legacy's End (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean the Wook can do pretty much whatever it wants- I don't think authors treat it as anything more than a compendium for info; they're not gonna browse the category of Order 66 Survivors for characters they can use. Again, it's a simple matter of providing extra context, which I know doesn't always jive with a site that's all about categorizing everything, but I feel like that's the more fulfilling role the Wook can play over being a straight-up encyclopedia.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ending of the issue with the lightsaber gun was fantastic, I love how weird an idea it is but Star Wars tracks in weird ideas and you'd figure over thousands of years SOMEBODY would have tried to use a lightsaber in a different purpose. Let's just say it projects energy from the Kyber crystal in the saber or something.

And the droid calling Vader as "Master Skywalker" is easily my favourite little moment in this arc and Vader having to beat it to pieces with his own hands.

Jocosta also dropped an "I am one with the Force, the Force is with me" line which shows that it wasn't just a matra from the Guardians of the Whills. And her wiping the archives does tie up a potential PT lose end but if in some piece of future media, say Luke discovers the archives in the Jedi temple, I think it's enough that Palpatine could have put some Top Men on it to restore it. But for now and until / if they pop up again, they're wiped.

Lady_Misty and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Regarding Quinlan Vos, I don't want to see him in this series, but rather in his own. He is too big of a character to have him in 5, even 10 issues like the completely unknown Kirak or the largely undeveloped (until now) Jocasta. And I trust only Ostrander and Duursema with the character. Soule is one of my favourite SW comic authors, so nothing personal against him, but Quinlan is Ostrander's baby.

4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

It's funny you'd say that, given that Canon Vos is nothing like Legends Vos. As for Ostrander and Duursema, those guys haven't touched Star Wars in years. I doubt we'll ever see them again in this fandom. Not too sad about that, they always struck me as a one-trick pony. The only main protagonist they ever did was "Dark-leaning Jedi who interacts with the Underworld"-that could apply to both of their main characters, Quinlan Vos and Cade Skywalker.

Darth_Duck and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I really enjoyed this issue, and I really liked the Kyber gun that Nu pulled out at the end.

6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Darth Vader is one of the most interesting, flawed, and nuanced characters in Star Wars. We'll be reading about him for years to come.

Grievousdude likes this.
  7. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I think a post-Dark Disciple Vos could be written similarly to the Legends Vos. Or at least, I think that a post-Dark Disciple Vos should be written differently than the way he was in the novel. He did have some life changing events happen to him anyway, so it would make sense for the character to be different.

Until and if Ostrander and Duursema publicly state that they have no interest in working on Star Wars again, I'm not giving up hope. They are some of my very favourite Star Wars comic creators, so how could I give up? For what it's worth, Jan posts Star Wars art regularly on her Facebook, despite the fact that she has plenty of non-Star Wars art to share (which she does actually, however, her SW artwork is what she shares the most). I was was Jan, I wouldn't post much if at all SW art on social media if I didn't care or didn't want to work on SW again.

I love Ostrander's & Duursema's SW work. I love Republic, I love Legacy and despite it's flaws, I like DOTJ as well. Say what you will about the protagonists being the same (which I respectfully disagree - while the basics of a conflicted, morally ambiguous character are shared between Quinlan, Cade and Xesh, everything else is different, including their story progressions which makes them distinct characters), the world building, designs, concepts and plots in their comics are amazing. There is a reason why their work is generally highly regarded, and it's not because only me and a handful of others liked it. YMMV, of course.

8. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Darth_Duck likes this.
  9. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Grand Inquisitor definitely displays why he's the chief of the Inquisitorious. He defeats Jocasta quite handily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ithorians likes this.
  10. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  11. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Vader sure likes to use human shields when his lightsaber isn't available or effective.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice bit of call-back between two different comic depictions of Vader across the years.

Jedi Ben and spicer like this.
  12. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    It's such a Sith thing to do, it's great.

13. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  14. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Vialco likes this.
  15. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Usually arcs are 5 issues, right?

Issue 11’s solicitation is about
    a bounty being placed on Vader. Sounds like it is a new arc, but it could be wrapping up this one, now that Jocasta knows who Vader is.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  16. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Jocasta understands much for one so narrow-minded.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Nice, I think he's jamming her canon with the force! Which was set up previously by showing him tinkering with his armor. I hope Jocasta survives.

18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    She's sharp-minded, that Jocasta. At least she knows all the pieces of the puzzle, before her end.

19. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Translation of her lines: "I know too much and have to die now."

20. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Is it just me or this Lightsaber Rifle the silliest thing you've ever seen?

cwustudent and kalzeth like this.
  21. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Its not just you. The lightsaber rifle is silly.

But Jocasta is surprisingly smart in those panels. Too bad she has to die now.

cwustudent likes this.
  22. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    The great thing about this series is that, due to the 19 year gap between Episode III and Episode IV, it can essentially continue indefinitely without ruining future plans. I just hope they'll keep up the great quality storytelling they've shown in some issues.

Hey, it had to happen eventually or Yoda wouldn't be correct when he calls Luke "last of the Jedi" in ROTJ.

Vialco likes this.
  23. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Tell that to these two.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  24. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    No. I take it back. The lightsaber rifle isn't silly. Its PANTS

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2018