main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What Album Did You Just Hear?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Oct 7, 2014.

1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Sharon Van etten, are we there

I love her you should all love her

2. ppslytherin1994

ppslytherin1994 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2017
    Sugar Ray's 14:59 (1999):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Juliet316 likes this.
  3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
  4. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
  5. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Been listening to a lot of Steppenwolf and Earth, Wind and Fire.

6. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    Taylor Swift’s Reputation

7. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
  8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    My favourite album of 2017:

[​IMG]

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]

Been listening to old radio dramas on vinyl each evening because I am a pretentious prit.

Currently on the 4th volume of Orson Welles' THE SHADOW stories.

10. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
  11. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    I also just listened to TSwift's new album. It's good and it's new, I like it, but it isn't her best.

12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
  13. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    True, my favorite album is Speak Now.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I wish she would forever hold her peace. BOOM NAILED IT.

No, I actually like a lot of her stuff.

15. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
  16. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Probably some of the best heavy and prog metal of the last 20 years from both acts.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
  18. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Working Men live concert by RUSH

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Gonna get the reviews on these last couple of Christmas albums I listened to this year out of the way.

[​IMG]

Ho Ho Ho Spice (2004) – Various Artists

This is a charity Christmas CD released in 2004 in order to raise funds for a hospice organization, the folks who provide end-of-life care to the dying. Now, the title is a bit off-putting; I’m just not sure how I feel about puns about hospice services, but fair is fair, I guess, and they got the money. Regardless, this was a bargain release. It was under fifteen dollars when first released and it’s a double CD, featuring a whopping FIFTY songs. Both CDs are packed right up past that 79 minute mark. This is, unfortunately, a pretty mixed blessing. There are a lot of really great songs on here, both witty versions of standards and clever, well-done originals. With fifty songs, there would have to be a lot. Of course, with fifty songs, there would also have to be a lot of mediocre songs and more than a couple pretty bad ones. That’s true as well. The good stuff here is really great. Among the best: a haunted version of O Come O Come Emmanuel by Marina Belica; And To All a Good Night by 5 Chinese Brothers, a witty country tune about suicidal thoughts on Christmas Eve; a sloppy, drunken guitar/saxophone duet on Jingle Bells by Flat Duo Jets; Mike Daly’s Something Bout This Time of Year, a surprisingly warm and genuinely moving song; the bluesy Merry Merry Christmas by Rocky Zharp; Graham Parker’s frenzied Soul Christmas; Five Iron Frenzy’s bouncy ska You Gotta Get Up; The dB’s ninety second punk rant Holiday Spirit; a punky, raspy version of Auld Lang Syne by The Cucumbers; and probably ten more or so that I’d pull off to put in a playlist. After that, things get substantially weaker and there’s a large batch of songs here that, despite only listening to this album yesterday and today, I can’t even really recall; the titles are reflective of the generic nature of the songs: It’s Christmas; Christmas Day; Heading Home for Christmas; Christmas Eve; Merry Christmas Eve; Christmas is My Favorite Holiday. A lot of this just kind of runs together into a big sonic soup of mellow, Christmasy balladeering. There are a few really awful tracks too. Kise turns in one of the worst songs I’ve heard all year with their gruesome butchering of the already pretty terrible Holly Jolly Christmas; the less said about Pork Chop’s White Trash Christmas the better; Negatones Christmas Greeting is a weird, seventy-second kind of ambient thing that sounds like it was dashed off in about five minutes. This CD is made for scavenging; some of these tracks haven’t been released digitally, so this CD is the only real way to get them legally, but once you’ve ripped off fifteen or twenty of these tracks you’ll never listen to the whole thing again. At over two-and-a-half hours, this one just wears out its welcome and makes you wade through a lot of aural pudding to get at the good stuff. Like the song says: we need a little Christmas. A little. No one asked for this much. 2 ½ stars.

tl;dr – way overstuffed double Christmas album has some great tracks, but at over two-and-a-half hours, this album weighs things down with far too many bland mediocre filler tracks. 2 ½ stars.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  20. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Swoon by Silversun Pickups

21. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
  22. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Underrated.

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas (1999) – Bill Haley

This album advertises itself as being by Bill Haley “and Friends,” and that’s fair because Bill Haley himself appears on only four out of the eighteen tracks on this album. Then there are two tracks by The Comets, Haley’s backing band, out on their own and tracks by various people who were in either The Comets or Haley’s previous group The Saddlemen. Haley and the Comets doing Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree and Jingle Bell Rock is suitably cool, but I also really liked the two tracks by the Comets, recorded in the eighties, a bopping version of Blue Christmas and a stellar instrumental tune called Ring a Chime. And then there’s Rockin’ Rollin’ Christmas, a track that is actually by a Haley impersonator; before you scoff, give it a spin – it’s one of the best tracks on the record and the impersonation is eerily accurate. There are a couple of rarities by Bill Haley & the Saddlemen, Haley’s group prior to the Comets. The Saddlemen are pure country and Haley’s voice is frankly unrecognizable on these two ballads, so they’re very different from the songs and sound Haley used with the Comets. Unfortunately, these two tracks are incredibly poor quality, though one of them, A Year Ago This Christmas, still really works as a great country weeper. A lot of the other tracks are of middling quality that seems to indicate that they were taken from vinyl or deteriorated tapes; on some the voices are painfully loud and you can barely hear the music and on others everything is muffled and crackly. The eighteen tracks here add up to a bit over forty minutes (songs used to be short, you know?) and of those eighteen tracks, I’d say about a third are good. It’s too bad as some of these are both genuine rarities and also really great tracks. For instance, Ring a Chime & A Year Ago This Christmas, aren’t available anywhere else. But this one just isn’t worth it. 2 stars.

tl;dr – hodge-podge collection features poor sound quality on many tracks and a host of tracks that fail on their own merits; a handful of great rarities can’t make up for the bad stuff. 2 stars.

24. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  25. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    The guitar tone on the album is great and totally jarring to anything they had ever done at the time.

It's so blatantly not Out of Time or Automatic For The People.

Honestly, it's not my favourite album of theirs but it's a lot of fun for the snark they seem to throw at pop culture throughout the album.

It's an utter mess but one that is always interesting.