main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT PT- Inspired Art and Fan Art Discussion

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CEB, Mar 27, 2017.

1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Hi, I checked with heels1785 for where to post this, and apparently there isn't an existing thread for prequel inspired art, so I'll start.

This is more of a technical exercise than a piece of real creativity. I'm a massive fan of Drew Struzan and an (improving) illustrator (I painted my avatar) so I've always wanted to have a crack at recreating Drew's phantom menace one-sheet. I remember seeing the poster as a 19 year old and feeling like I could never hope to even draw a likeness like he could, let alone create a full painting.
    I'm not there yet, though I'm closer than I was a year ago. I had a lot of fun making this piece in any spare hour over the last six weeks, and because I had no deadline, I didn't trace as Drew does, preferring to draw freehand, using the original source photos instead of Drew's painting as reference where possible (the Anakin pose is something I don't think has ever been officially seen aside from in the poster art. Though please correct me if I'm wrong about that)

Hope you like it, it's just a short vid, and if this thread takes off hopefully I'll post some more of my digital and traditional art here, when it touches upon PT characters and themes

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Thanks, CEB!

Hope that some of our really talented people in this community share their work, as well.

Edit - Stickied the thread.

Mostly Handless, Deliveranze and CEB like this.
  3. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    Woah! That's awesome! I'd also love to see any other people's art too.

If I ever get around to drawing somethings I might post them here. Although I'm not the greatest at 2D:p

4. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    CEB I wish I could do stuff as beautiful as that. You are very talented.^:)^=D=

5. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    CEB: You art piece for TPM is fantastic! :) Keep it up.

I have a couple of questions though.

1) You said that Struzan traces. Do you have any sources on how he works and stuff like that?
    2) Do you have the source photos? I don't think I've ever seen them.

6. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Thanks, glad you like it - was more an experiment than an artwork, though, since it's a copy.

Regarding Struzan - he has an official DVD, "creating and conceiving the Hellboy poster", which shows his entire process, from initial ideas and sketches right through to step by step through creating the final piece.
    He addresses the issue of tracing, and he changed my opinion on it.
    He creates sometimes dozens of preliminary sketches, then works some of the up into detailed, full value drawings, makes changes as requested, then eventually begins on the final piece - he traces source photography, sometimes getting family members to photograph himself in costume for references combined with promotional photography for new poses, and traces though doesn't slavishly trace - he makes poses more dynamic, characters more heroic looking, chiselled etc. If I was working to a deadline and needed to have a spot-on likeness, I would probably do the same thing.
    Regarding the source photography, bear with me and I'll post up the images I used that I think it's likely he used. I wish I'd had higher res versions to work from though...

Alienware and DarthAnakin96 like this.
  7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Here are the reference photos I think Drew used - the image of Amidala is reversed
    [​IMG]

The interesting thing is quite how much was added in the drawing - that photo of Liam as Qui-Gon is nothing special, dull if anything, but the final image looks more like Qui Gon than Qui-Gon.
    With the image of Padme, the reversed image looks reversed - there is some compensation in eye placement/size to make her look more natural. Obi-Wan's pose is slightly more dynamic in the drawing - look at his shoulder placement particularly

8. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    James Raiz was livestreaming (and has said that he will continue later on) his drawing of Star Wars. He was drawing some Episode II stuff when I was watching and I think he makes great stuff. Also seems like a cool guy. Here's a link if anyone's interested.

And here's a cool little art piece I found on Twitter. Made by Anima Eternaā€¸ @ladyanimaeterna.

[​IMG]

9. rodringo

rodringo Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2017
    James Raiz is really talented. He have really good skills. :)

Mostly Handless likes this.
  10. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
  11. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
  12. Sixes

Sixes Jedi Master star 2

Apr 5, 2016
  13. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
  14. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    You know, just putting it out there, I take it the PT Social Thread slash fic is off limits here? Asking for a friend... *whistles*

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    THIS IS BRETHART'S FAN ART POST FROM REWRITING THE PREQUELS THREAD

Stupid board function is broken for merging. Apologies, but fits here.

whostheBossk and Mostly Handless like this.
  18. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
  19. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    'The Senate'(?) artist unknown
    [​IMG]

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This is not even his final form