main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, not with Alex Smith. I am definitely excited to see the prospect of what this team could do with all its talent, but with Mahomes at the wheel. That's certainly what I'm looking forward to.

I just wish they could have gotten it done ONCE at home in the Smith era. It really does show how much his meh leadership holds the team back. Just no pride, no push to rally back, etc.

But at least Smith is done here. Hope he enjoys Cleveland.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    But doesn't cite specifics. If they took the time to go through them, they'd see that:

- the Titans first fg should have been instead a turnover the Chiefs recovered. And would have returned for a TD if not whistled dead for no reason. Refs gave Titans 3 points, and took 7 away from the Chiefs.

- Mariota was still scrambling, and in fact running BACKWARD when they whistled the play dead for forward progress... When he wasn't going forward. Which the ref admitted. Apparently, "he was gonna get sacked really bad" is enough to blow it dead? He fumbled and the recovery for 2 pts for the Chiefs would have won it for us. We couldn't challenge it. 5 points from the refs to the Titans now.

- Mariota was absolutely past the line of scrimmage when he threw that pass. Easily. It should have been 4th down Titans. Let's say they get a fg, that's still the refs spotting the Titans 4 more points. We couldn't challenge it, once again, and the booth didn't call for a review of a game changing play in a playoff game because evidently their jobs aren't important? So now 9 points that the refs had given the Titans.

And minus 7 for that Chiefs. Even if it's possible the refs alone caused a 16 point swing in a close playoff game, that should be viewed as entirely unacceptable.

And that's just scoring plays. Never mind crap like Harris being called for holding on a perfectly clean block on a first down run.

I will readily admit when a call benefits us and say we got lucky, and I hate when people don't do that. But I honestly just can't think of any terrible game-changing calls that went the Titans way. If someone can, please share them and I'll look at them gladly.

I just know the bad calls started right when we were about to blow the Titans out. Suddenly the Titans had a fg to take into half as a glimmer of hope, instead of a fumble recovery for a TD that probably would have started a rout. These bad calls have happened to all losing teams at some point this year. The NFL clearly wants close games, and even if the refs just know that and it's subconscious, it has been affecting how games are called all year. Just ask any underdog who tried to stomp on the Pats.

Any way, the Slate article is definitely right about this being just one in a long string of creative and agonizing ways for the Chiefs to lose playoff games. Because ultimately like I said, as bad as the refs were, just playing like an NFL team for a quarter in the second hald would have done it. But as Slate and many others have said, the Chiefs are just snake bitten in the playoffs and will find a way to lose in Terri fashion.

But I guess all sports writers talking about this are just annoying whiners. Not people using their brains to analyze what happened in a game.

PCCViking likes this.
  4. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  5. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  6. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You keep saying this, but it's just the rule being stupid and you not liking it (similar to the fumble out of the endzone being a touchback rule you also hate). I'm not saying it's not stupid, or it's not confusing given the NFL's other rules about "lines" (goal / scrimmage) and the football, but you're incorrect here.

For most NFL rules, the rule is the ball vs. the line. For a lateral, any part of the ball touching any part of the imaginary line == lateral (see "Music City Miracle"). For a TD, any part of the ball crossing the plane of the goal line, including indefinitely out of bounds, is a TD.

However, for a forward pass at the line of scrimmage, it's the QB's body and it has to be the entire body across the LOS to be illegal. Most of Mariota's body, including the ball, was past the LOS -- however his back foot was clearly behind the LOS when the ball was thrown. QED, not an illegal forward pass.

It's stupid, but not incorrect.

jcgoble3 and LloydChristmas like this.
  8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    This quote from that is spot on, and has my blood boiling:

"Here's my question: did the NFL know Triplette was retiring before this game? And did Triplette get a playoff game BECAUSE he was retiring? Triplette had not been assigned a playoff game since the 2013 season, according to Pro-Football-Reference."

They absolutely gave him one last playoff game on purpose, knowing that his crew was bad. And it absolutely kept us from making two or three game-changing plays. Again, we still had chances later and Alex Smith did absolutely nothing to lead the team to victory, which is while I'll be glad to see him go.

But still, sorry, being pissed off about this is not whining or annoying. If you don't want me to be mad, then the NFL needs to be run like it cares about officiating and fairness. At all. The Chiefs were offered up to an incompetent ref as a going away present. Because the NFL won't just fire bad refs.

I honestly think inconsistent officiating is a much bigger reason for declining ratings than any protests. Half the fans according to polls agree with the protest sentiments. But how many fans think the NFL knows, for instance, what a catch is?

I would say this is unbelievable... But again, it's the Chiefs. Failure will find a way. This was the perfect storm.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I guess football teams from Georgia like playing in California so much they decided to win playoff games in rival stadiums there. :)

11. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
    I mean, officiating this season has been by far the worst I have seen in my 30 years of life. I am hoping we see some changes in the off-season, many some professional development or full-time officials. And I also hope they take a look at some of those rules, such as the fumble/touchback rule, which burned the Bears this year with Foxball [face_plain]

BigAl6ft6 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  12. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I agree with dp4m. His foot was still on the line when he threw the pass. Crazy play.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  13. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the passer's entire body have to be past the line of scrimmage for it to be an illegal forward pass? I could've sworn half of Mariota's foot was behind the line.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Do you literally not read threads? :p

I posted that not five posts before yours!

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That was looking like an all-time Bills comeback until they remembered that they were, in fact... the Bills.

17. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002
    Holy crap

Edit: HOLY CRAP WHAT

Edit 2: HOLY CRAPPPPPPP

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    dp4m likes this.
  18. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Cut the bot some slack it was scanning reams of data for the last QB to step completely over the line!

dp4m likes this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So you're saying Nanaki is Wocky v2.0?!?

:eek:

20. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    What gives with the back yard wrestling Bills fans?

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Worse... He's a cowgirls fan. ;):p

22. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    [​IMG]

23. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Can you please not cheer for the Vikings next week? I’d really like my brother and his wife’s team to go to the SB and every other team you’ve cheered for has lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LloydChristmas and dp4m like this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The next 52 seconds to whether Lloyd needs new pants or not...

EDIT: NARRATOR: "He did not."

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    LloydChristmas likes this.
  25. TahiriVeilaSolo69

Sep 27, 2002