main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #7-12: The Dying Light/ Legacy's End (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Lightsaber rifle? Don't you mean miniaturized Death Star tech?

2. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    I've only seen one full issue and the previews of this, but does Jocasta remind anyone else of Atris?

3. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Is there a thread in this subforum for the current Marvel Star Wars comics. The new Vader comic is taking too long to come out, so I broke down and started reading it.

4. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Hah, all I can say to them is “sorry”.

I personally think Kanan will probably die by the end of Rebels, and that Ezra will never become a full Jedi.

Vialco likes this.
  5. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    The best outcome in Rebels is probably for Kanan and Ezra to abandon the fight and take flight. Mainly because it is a show for younger kids, so killing two characters that I assume children have grown to love will be marketing suicide.

And having them as a continuing threat during Ep 4 to 6 feels wrong.

It shouldn't take a Vader to put them into flight/hide mode.

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Doesn't really matter, since the show will be over. :p

Vialco and spicer like this.
  7. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    But the brand will remain.

8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    If their (possible) deaths are well executed (pun intended) then most if not all mature fans will appreciate the character send offs. And I'd expect all kids who like the characters now to find appreciation for their deaths in due time too. And with soooo much Star Wars movies, TV shows both live action and animated, novels, games etc. coming up, the Rebels sub-brand is not that impactful in the grand scheme of things to make or break the SW franchise.

9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Jocasta's lightsaber rifle doesn't come off as odd to me at all. It's just a derivation of the same kyber crystal weapon that both Jedi and Sith have used for ages.

Lightsabers, battlestations, energy rifles.

They're all some sort of energy weapon focussed and enhanced through a kyber crystal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015

The Jedi would never use guns. Its just a cheap gizmo to give Jocasta a way to fight Vader

cwustudent and kalzeth like this.
  11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    What makes you think it's a Jedi weapon? That vault had many Sith artifacts as well. That rifle could easily be an ancient Sith weapon.

As for Jedi never using guns....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    revan772 likes this.
  12. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015

Obi-Wan used a gun out of desperation and necessity. After shooting Grievous, he remarked that they were "so uncivilized" Kanan obviously couldn't use a lightsaber during the Age of the Empire, so he used a blaster out of again, necessity. Anakin showed an interest in guns in the unfinished Utapau arc of Clone Wars, but then again, he is even creepier than me....

Yes, it could be a Sith weapon. I'll give you that. Still a silly deus ex machine though

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I thought the death of the mentor is a Disney staple? I do agree that Ezra will make it out alive, though.

14. Yunzabit

Apr 5, 2015
    Just have them both on Alderaan when it goes KER-BOOM. Someone floated that theory around a couple of years ago, and I say its a great idea!!!!!

15. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    that was my take from it as well. It's probably a captured weapon from one of the many Jedi/Sith conflicts which the jedi slapped a jedi emblem on to indicate which faction now owned it. That, or a weapon reverse-engineered from sith technology which was abandoned following the downfall of the sith. The fact that it was locked up sums up the Jedi's opinion on it pretty well.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    iPodwithnomusic and SilentGuy66 like this.
  16. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    My first reaction to seeing the lightsaber gun was we were seeing a miniaturized Death Star laser. I won't be a bit surprised if, at the conclusion of this arc, we see Palpatine giving the weapon to Krennic for continued research. If I'm not mistaken, it was shortly after the end of The Clone Wars (based on Catalyst) that the Death Star's weapons program really started ramping up. That would correlate with the timeframe this comic is taking place in.

Vialco likes this.
  17. Purpilia

Purpilia Jedi Master

Jan 2, 2010
    Really enjoyed this arc, especially the ending. From Vader, his interactions with the clones and Jocasta and the GI, to the overall storyline. I wish the Inquisitors were a little more developed though. And cannot for the life of me understand why the Jedi Temple's scale (it is supposed to be enormous) is rarely consistent, even in the movies. But that is a minor nitpick on the art, which overall, was really well done.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  18. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    This issue continued show how Vader is a true lord of the sith with his brutality and deception

spicer likes this.
  19. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Didn't expect Vader
    To kill Clone Commander Fox but I like it :D Fives is avenged

20. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Yunzabit likes this.
  21. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    Really just proves there is no bad characters. Even an one shot character like Jocasta Nu can have their moments.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  22. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    For someone who has to wait until next payday to get this issue, can I get a rundown? :) (It is just sitting at my comic shop... waiting for me lol.)

23. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Tried to transliterate the names and locations on Vader's HUD:

DARIEN WHIT
    -- ALDERAAN
    SCAPE LOEWIG
    -- CATHAR (!! [face_dancing])
    DEVIN HVITUR
    -- BESPIN
    ALAYTIA TAVERRE
    -- KESSEL

KRIS ELIOUP
    -- EADU
    ANNALI BISSA
    -- CORELLIA
    NIK LOWE
    -- MUSTAFAR
    JACQUE PORTE
    -- D'QAR

24. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Another hit in this series. I loved that Vader acted much like in the Legends stories that covered his early days - insecure and paranoid when it comes to his relationship with the Emperor. He's got enough suspicions about him being replaced with the Inquisitors, and he wouldn't want to risk his position with a Force sensitive kid becoming Sheev's new minion. I also liked that he's not willing to let his secret be revealed to the clones, and subsequently to anyone else. This reminded me a bit of Dark Times: Blue Harvest when Vader killed Commander Vill just to make sure their little chat didn't reach the ears of the Emperor. I'm not sure if Palpatine realised that Vader lied to him about Jocasta though - he's a bit difficult to interpret as to how upset he is considering things didn't go as he planned. The Jedi gun - I couldn't care less, and I'm not going to miss it. I don't hate it, but it's pretty unremarkable to me. There were some really depressing moments in this issue, but they did fit the narrative - Jocasta trying to kill herself and then getting stopped by Vader; and, Jocasta's friend got old and died waiting for her :( I like that this series is not afraid to be dark, as it should be.The art was good, and Vader looks better and better every issue. The artist is getting used to drawing him.

I know that Soule teased Vader & clone interaction, and I sincerely hope he didn't mean of the stuff in this issue. While I do think Vader and the clones were handled well here, I would like to see more.

Also, Cathar is canon again [face_party] And on the topic of Legends, since I am a huge fan of the dark times era in both continuities, I am glad that this series (so far) fits almost perfectly with most Legends stories in that period. So big thanks to Marvel and Charles Soule for this! You have a grateful canon and Legends Star Wars fan here.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Do we know if Jocasta died or no? We didn't see any corpse so...maybe?