main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Shhh! [face_shhh] Mods have secret powers (and a batcave to go along with them).

2. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    Hey there. :) I have a quick question about the alphanumeric codes used by stormtroopers.

I'm writing about a character whose real name won't be revealed until the latter stages of my tale, and I refer to him as TK-6013. Is this number appropriate for a low-ranking trooper at the time of ANH? He's usually stationed on some remote outworld, carrying out pointless tasks.

Also, do all Imperial officers have codes with three letters during that time period? Thanks.

3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
  4. It Is Your Destiny

Jan 1, 2014
    @divapilot - Thanks so much for the thoughtful links. :) I'll definitely check out what these challenges are all about.

Findswoman likes this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    The second one could really, really use a new participant. Plus, the songs are hilarious. ;)

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Your alphanumeric code sounds fine for your stormtrooper.

As far as I am aware, normal officers do not have such codes, unless they are officers in the stormtrooper corps, and were originally stormtroopers. TIE pilots may have such codes as well.

7. It Is Your Destiny

Jan 1, 2014
    I'll certainly keep this challenge in mind. I'm far more familiar with pre-2010 music as well. :D Thanks.
    Right, officers wouldn't have two letters and 3-4 numbers like stormtroopers. Instead, an officer's operating number would consist of three letters and 2-3 numerals, like ABC-03. At least that's what I've read. Does that seem accurate?

Thanks for the input. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I am not aware of normal human, and that one Chiss, officers, having an operating code of any type. Basically, if they have a visible face, no operating codes.

Anybody behind a faceplate - stormtroopers, TIE pilots (who tend to have their own officer structure), AT-AT drivers I expect, etc. They will have operating codes, as the Empire likes to keep them in-personal.

If you particularly want your guy or gal to have a code, it's your story, have at it. I doubt anyone here is going to make a federal case out of it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Okay, so I'm writing a crack!fic, a bizarre AU and "from a certain point of a view type of a story" at once. HALP. How does one do that alleged "focus" thing? The last time I tried this, some two months ago, nothing materialised.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @Ewok Poet - what, precisely, are you asking?

How to write from a POV?

Or how to focus on one story?

If the latter, I go to Wordcounter, set myself a word target, say 200 words, and start typing.
    That helps me concentrate on a particular fic's update, just so I know that I am making progress.

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I have no problem progressing, it's just that my attention flies over one to another and back.

12. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    Usually to focus on something I'm writing, I try to read a previous section or story I've written. Gets me thinking about the characters and arcs.

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That's normal. I think. But I get an idea for whatever other story I have and I'm like, "MUST.ASAP.HE.CARD.READ.GOOD!1!1" [face_rofl]

Snocone likes this.
  14. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015
    Can you just note that idea (with details) really quick, then go back?

I think finishing things is its own skill to be mastered. It's really tough, but worth it.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I do manage to finish stuff - finished three epics so far, and numerous shorter fics, except for those when I did the usual seat-of-pants thing and wrote myself in the corner and the ones where I suddenly became more interested in their joint sequel.

But this has been an issue for, like, the past twenty years or so. If I get an idea, I must drop everything and immediately put it to paper, or, well, Word or Evernote.

Snocone likes this.
  16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Does anyone know of a name for this piece that goes down the front of the dress from the waist. I was thinking apron (which is also what the pattern calls it), but I feel like that invokes an image of a cooking apron. I was thinking thin apron, but I don't know if that still makes you think of something you'd wear to prevent the garment from getting dirty rather than it being a part of the garment.

[​IMG]

17. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015
    mavjade likes this.
  18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    @mavjade - if you wikipedia "apron", as I did, you will see that it has lots of uses; even deities wore them.

Apron works as a term, but doesn't necessarily mean what you thought.

Several examples of ceremonial aprons.

mavjade likes this.
  19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I think I've used the word 'sash' for that kind of thingy (or more specifically waist sash) since that is the word for the thing Ventress wears: Rattakaki Sash. (Edit: the word is also used for Togruta things like that HERE.)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    mavjade likes this.
  20. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    EDIT: Wrong clothing item. Blame DRL for my attention span.

21. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    @mavjade - the pattern itself refers to it as an apron. There doesn’t seem to be much in terms of a rl item like it, although a little internet sleuthing cane up with “placard.” The thing is, a medieval placard would be attached at the bodice, not the waist. The belt, technically, if we’re looking at this as medieval, is a “girdle.” As medieval clothing goes it’s purely decorative.

Edit: you already read the back of the pattern envelope. Duh. Of course you would have. Sorry! :p:rolleyes:

mavjade likes this.
  22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh I know, but I think we someone reads the word apron this day in age, what they think of is something that is used as a covering, not an item of clothing which is why I wanted to use a different word.

- -

Thanks all! Looks like sash is probably the best bet! I like the idea of pinafore (in the list snocone linked) but I think that's another case of people wouldn't know what it was, except maybe a ship (musical theater joke, sorry).

23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Don't be sorry. I got the joke, even though I've never seen that particular musical. It was, however, referenced in Star Trek: Insurrection.

Findswoman and mavjade like this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So, would it make sense to throw away two plots, one of which has not gone anywhere since mid-2015 and the other one since February last year? Like, donate them to the plot thread?

25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Perfectly fine, if you are not doing anything with them.

Ewok Poet likes this.