main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    For about 30 seconds, I honestly thought you were talking about me. :p

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Time for this again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Man, check out the prosthetic package on Vader!

4. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Those are just cultural appropriation. Han's stripes are earned real deal.

And influential. Just when I hoped high waist might go out of fashion,
    Ben Solo just had to have that shirtless skype chat with Rey...

Gamiel, AV-6R7 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    The canon has been quite vague on what happened to Vaders other lightsaber. But if he lost everything, well Obiwan is responsible for destroying two Sith sabers from their masters.

Dr. Steve Brule, kalzeth and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    New thread topic today: "What key elements of EU have been brought forward into NuCanon?"

[​IMG]

Oh, I want to tell him. But I can't. That would be evil. Aw, poor unfortunate soul...

vncredleader and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think it's interesting that Mimban is apparently going to be used in Solo after it got used in the concept art for Rogue One. I guess someone on the LucasFilm art team really liked Splinter....

8. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Also funny that stuff from Splinter is going to enter the canon via a Han Solo film in spite of it being one of the few non-Han tales from the era...

9. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    "Splinter" is always gonna loom large for the folks who were there from the beginning, which encompasses a lot of the creative folks making SW now. It was the first SW thing that wasn't the movie, alongside the original Marvel comics; longtime fans that ended up not being too fond of what the EU became, still remember that early early stuff. Mimban was also one of the first EU bits namedropped on TCW as well.

BigAl6ft6, AV-6R7 and vncredleader like this.
  10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Danny McBride as Grammel pls

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Lest we not forget that
    Splinter was developed as a lower budget (and, Four Dot, points out, as a Ford-less story to help accommodate that) potential sequel to Star Wars before it was a huge success (which allowed them to shift gears and go full-on in with ESB instead), so it does loom rather heavy above other material by that pedigree.

So, while somewhat obscure in the greater EU context, it's not surprising that is being mined. I mean, kyber crystals and all, right?

Revanfan1, BigAl6ft6 and Amon_Amarth like this.
  12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    In terms of historical perspective and importance to Han's character, the Bloodstripe is a little bit more than a retcon or a goofy bit of EU cheese created to "explain his pants." References to the stripe as a Bloodstripe and a symbol of heroism date back to some of the earliest lore - Daley's Han Solo and the Lost Legacy I think was the first to reference it, I believe, with the Marvel comic doing so as well in one of its later issues. It was, at the time, a clue to the background and motives of a character whose background fans didn't know a lot about at that point except in very broad strokes (and then only if you were reading the old poster magazine or Lucas interviews). Yeah, it's all about Han's trousers and it can be a little silly, but it deserves a little slack :)

Trip, Kylun, LelalMekha and 5 others like this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I suppose a fairer description of how I see the Corellian Bloodstripes would be that it's analogous to the 25,000 year-old Republic: it's not that I'm really opposed to the concept itself, just that the nature of its origin is fairly ludicrous.

...also, was this intentional?

14. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Tidied that bit up for you [face_mischief]

15. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Considering other characters than just Han wear them in the OT, it's still a silly EU retcon that seems to go against the intent of the films (though likely because Daley et al didn't have as much free access to footage and stills as we do now) and also implies Han was in the Corellian military, which no other source has gone along with as far as I can recall.

16. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Exactly there is where the retconning gets sloppy. In the Daley novel it was stated he earned them when preventing a training flight disaster. This was backed up later in the West End Corporate Sector sourcebook.

17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Speaking of jackets...

The fact that Han seems to have at least two jackets in this movie (the red one in that Japanese poster thing and the white one in leaked photos) sort of backs up my statement from a year or so ago that Han's a jacket/vest connoisseur. So far, he's got:

-Red jacket (Solo)
    -White jacket (Solo)
    -Black vest (ANH)
    -Brown jacket 1 (Han Solo comic)
    -Blue jacket (ESB)
    -Blue vest (ROTJ) (Or does the lighting on Endor just make it look blue?)
    -Brown jacket 1 (TFA)

That's not even counting his parkas in ESB (note he's the only one wearing a parka instead of an entire cold-weather suit) or TFA, or his camouflage trench coat in ROTJ (Luke and Leia wear ponchos, but once again Han gets a coat).

I hope we get a few more canon Han jackets and that we see his closet in the Falcon and it's full of nothing but jackets and bloodstripe pants. :p

BigAl6ft6, Kylun, SWpants and 3 others like this.
  18. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    You bet your TROUSERS it was.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It’s likely just a simple matter of the stripes implying a military decoration or design origin and reconciling that with Han not seeming to have had an Imperial background (at the time) by making it more cultural/government specific by making them Corellian like Han. And it gave a little flavor to Han’s background (which they couldn’t really go into much / had little to go off of at the time). Pretty reasonable.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  20. The Positive Fan

Jan 19, 2015
    This isn't a fully formed idea on my part, but just doing some random thinking: back in the early lore the term "Corellian" may not have necessarily meant "a person from the planet Corellia" at all. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the name "Corellia" was ever actually used until WEG (in fact, didn't an early WEG source call it "Corell" instead of "Corellia"?). Obviously it wasn't thought out to any great extent by Lucas or Daley or whomever but it's interesting to consider the possibility that the original intent of "Corellian" may have been to denote some sort of galaxy-wide institution or culture rather than that of a specific planet or sector. Thinking about it in that context causes a few things to make a bit more sense - the ANH reference to the Empire using "big Corellian ships," non-Corellians with Bloodstripes, and so on. I have little to back it up but its a theory I like.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  21. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Jackets are great, but I wouldn't say it is Han at his vest.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The ANH novel uses "Corellian" multiple times- first indicating they're often pirates, with multiple people said to be one. then Han's reference to "Corellian cruisers" (separate from the Imperial ships, unlike Han's line in the film) and then both Docking Bay 94 scenes (Jabba, then Luke and co) specifically identify Han as a Corellian.

I don't recall offhand if the planet itself is referenced, but it's clearly a people.

The Positive Fan and Gamiel like this.
  23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I wonder if this film will finally confirm spice as a dangerous addictive drug, and that a big deal is appropriately made of Han smuggling it, with scenes of spice withdrawal, highs, and countless lives being destroyed by it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Corellia definitely gets referenced as such at least a few times in the original Marvel comics.

25. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Word on the street is that it looks like there's a very good chance we're going to be seeing members of the Pyke Syndicate in this film. That's... a pretty cool canon/TCW connection, and makes absolute sense if we're going to be dealing with Spice.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018