main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Got a question? Ask it here

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Kabers, Nov 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Newcanon (and Legends) sources, specifically, give "distance in light years, from the galactic core" of Hoth and Bespin.

In both cases:

Hoth: 50,250 light years
    Bespin: 49,100 light years

Hence the 1150 light year minimum distance apart.

Thus, backup hyperdrive theory.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Keycube wrote

In the OT, the gun had a 2-axis system achieved by swiveling between the support arms and pivoting around the central support tube for those support arms. In TFA, that central support tube no longer has its axis "fixed" (horizontally in relation to the falcon, vertically on-screen from the gunner's position) in the scene where Finn is getting acclimated to it, but seems to operate normally when he's firing (although it's difficult to see at times). Not to mention the gun appears from "below" the gunner, as opposed to from "above" in ANH. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it kinda drives me nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_OSeRxhGOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sarFZJl3h0

The TFA cutaway book mentions the top and bottom "caps" (for lack of a better word) that contain the guns and gun window, now rotate; which can lead to the situation in TFA, where the window is (briefly) shown to the rear of center. But even so, to have the guns appear from the "bottom" of the window, the whole gunner's station internally would have to be flipped 180 degrees, which makes no sense.

I can only see this as either a screw-up, a reimagining for camera footage's sake (bad), or a re-engineering of the gun setup, which is also bad, but I could at least get behind if there was something to back it up...but I can't find it. Help?

[​IMG]

It's a can of worms, the interior layout of the Millennium Falcon is a subject I nowadays give a wide berth and consider it "the ship of riddles" (even though I did a deck plan back in 1988 which was both right and wrong, of course).

First, the gunport access tube must be rotating towards the position where personnel can access the gunports (i.e. its normal position next to the Falcon's circular corridor is off-center). We see that (way too long) access tube connecting both gunports during gun operation in ANH, the deleted gunport scenes of ROJ -

[​IMG]

- and of course in TFA (i.e. that we still see the ladder opposite the corridor to the cockpit behind BB-8 is an in-universe continuity error, the TFA cutaway doesn't acknowledge that it's an alcove and not a corridor of its own).

Now, the OT seemed to suggest that the guns are somewhat rigid and always point front, i.e. Luke and Han's feet and butts were "looking" front in ANH (and I'm sure the same applied for the gunners in ROJ, considering that the Falcon took out several TIE fighters ahead of its flight path with these guns).

However, in TFA the Falcon was pursued by TIE fighters coming from behind, so the TFA filmmakers felt that the guns should be able to rotate 180° to take out such pursuers (makes sense, IMHO, from a practical in-universe point of view) and that's what we saw happening.

3. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Thanks for responding. :)

Yeah, I see this more now, that directly behind is the only real "blind spot". Nonetheless, even if that whole cap turns to accommodate this, the seat presumably rotates with it, since Finn is always seeing what he's firing at, I believe. If that's the case, the gun would always look as though the supports were originating "from above" (from the gunner's perspective"). Basically, it would always look like ANH, even if the whole thing rotated.

If the seat *didn't* rotate with the cap & window, you wouldn't be looking out the window at all, because of it's asymmetrical design, true? FWIW, this does seem the more feasible option, engineering-wise, but is also more ridiculous for obvious reasons.

It's a hornet's nest for sure, but it seemed to be made more so for no reason. When he first sits down and it looks like that main mounting tube was now more of a knuckle/ball joint kind of deal instead of a rotating pivot, I knew we were in trouble.

4. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Seagoat wrote

EU, however, as always, has an answer. The MF has a backup hyperdrive that's not nearly as fast as its standard one.

IMHO, that remains a convoluted explanation I never subscribed, too.

It's merely the "lower gear shift" of the hyperdrive (without jumping) they had to use to get to Bespin. The whole point both in ANH and ESB had been that they needed to jump to vanish from their Imperial pursuers' screens.

And all Threepio ever said in ESB was that the hyperdrive motivator had been damaged, making it impossible to jump. That didn't tell me that the entire FTL capacity of the Falcon's hyperdrive had been broken, just that they couldn't jump.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The term is always "jump to lightspeed" or "go to lightspeed" (with the implication that it includes lightspeed itself, plus speeds faster than it.)

Thus, going faster than "lightspeed" without a "jump" doesn't really fit with the way the phrase is worded.

In Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual, a point was made of how the backup hyperdrive and the main one share the same motivator.

Presumably, they could fix the motivator, but not other damage to the main hyperdrive - thus, time was spent fixing the motivator (but not the rest of the damage) and the backup was then brought online.

6. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Apparently "going to lightspeed" (which in ANH is obviously a synonym for the "jump into hyperspace") is a widespread (but technically incorrect) colloquialism from ancient times.

Nevertheless it possibly suggests that there was a time when FTL was accomplished without jumping into hyperspace... ;)

7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Rather broad question, but how do people control jetpacks in SW?

With Cad Bane, we see him controlling his jet boots with the buttons on his wrist. But when it comes to Mandalorians or Clonetroopers with jetpacks, they just seem to will the packs to fly where they want. Is it some kind of mental link with the pack?

8. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Keycube

I investigated the subject a little further and even made a visualization based on TFA screencaps (but my image provider doesn't currently work).

Now, the TFA Jakku footage clearly reveals that the bottom gun is facing backwards and that's because the entire central "core" cylinder (including the center off-set gun view port) is facing backwards, which is the opposite of the above top view alignment (however, just before the Falcon flies into the engine of the crashed Super Star Destroyer - continuity error - and is later picked up by Han and Chewie we see the bottom gun facing forward).

It appears the fimmakers gave the issue some thought and ultimately felt, that what we saw in ANH was somewhat erroneous. I.e. the shortest way to get into the gunports would - of course - be to have the core cylinder (above in the 9 o'clock position) turn to the 11 o'clock position (interestingly, during the Jakku lift-off the top gun 'hangs' in a 10 o'clock position...).

But as a result and from the gunner's point of view, the gun would be visible through the "lower" part of the window (e.g. TFA) in contrast to what we saw in ANH (gun visible through the "upper" part of the window).

So depending on one's point of view TFA either fixed an ANH in-universe continuity error (because the shortest way makes most sense) or it retconned an established but somewhat weird ANH concept (which would require the core cylinder to turn to a 5 o'clock position and an access tube 'travelling' from the main corridor to the gun port). ;)

9. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Are the commentary tracks on the Blu-ray releases of I-VI the same as on the DVDs? I'm pretty sure they are, but I never owned the DVDs, so I'd like someone to confirm this.

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There are two commentary tracks on the Blu-ray. One is ported from the DVD release, and the other is exclusive to the Blu-ray release and is made of archival interviews.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  11. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Many thanks.

12. alpha_particles1981

alpha_particles1981 Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2017
    Why didn't Han pay his dept to Jabba? He got the money he needed and then some after the Battle of Yavin, but he never paid the Hutt back, despite saying several times he wants to do it. In ESB he gets sidetracked, and is captured and brought to the Hutt. Why didn't Han use his money to pay off Boba Fett? Why didn't Leia use her wealth to stop the Hutt's wrath? Did Jabba ever get the money? He was just willing to settle for Han in cyro-freeze?

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He decided to be part of the Alliance's cause, and the rebels have been on the run since the events of ANH:

14. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I was wondering if anyone has in universe and real world reasons why ATST drivers wear open faced helmets rather than helms similar to ATAT drivers and Tie pilots. I always thought they should wear closed helmets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master_Rebado likes this.
  15. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    ATSTs are manned by officers and NCOs only. They get to wear open faced helmets. The ATATs are manned by an officer or officers plus "men" i.e. enlisted troopers, who all have terrible acne.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Merging with Questions Thread.

17. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Not really. The Art of ROJ clearly illustrated that the main reason why the front part of the biker "scout" helmet lifts (see above) is to use macrobinoculars. Obviously that's still the most efficient way to use these.

Same applies for the crew of a "scout" walker. I say it's safe to assume that that walker will often stop, one crew member will open the top hatch and do at least a 180° sweep of the area ahead with macrobinoculars.

The AT-ST driver doesn't need a helmet because he's mostly protected by the scout walker's head, the biker scout needs a helmet for protection when he's out in the open, but both need to expose their faces when they want to use macrobinoculars most effectively.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Snafu55 likes this.
  18. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    On a similar helmet related vein, does anyone know why Scout Trooper helmets have a tiny mouth grill under the visor?
    [​IMG]

It's clearly too high on the face to be a mouth hole, the mouth would be positioned behind the lower cylindrical bar. It also just looks kind of goofy, like the whole face is squished in the middle.

19. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    As with the stormtroopers I never believed that to be a mouthpiece or vocal amplifier but rather a part of the breathing apparatus and/or gas mask / air filter.

20. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    I always assumed that was an exhaust vent for the their breath. Same with the "frown face' vent on the regular stormtroopers.
    The bridge of the nose on Vader's mask has what also appears to be a vent where channeled breath is emitted.

I'm sure this could all be cleared up if we weren't too lazy to look it up :p

21. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Too late to edit: specifically, ventilation to keep moisture and condensation from the breath from fogging up the eye pieces.

22. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    It seems to high up on the face for that kind of purpose though, it's too high for the mouth or nose, so the breath wouldn't exit the helmet very efficiently.

And while the ROTS scout troopers do have the same tiny grill:
    [​IMG]

the earlier version seen in TCW lacks it:
    [​IMG]

I suppose it could just so an evolution, from not vent to a small one, slightly increasing the breath output, but that seems a stretch.

Has any BTS info been given about the section on the helmet that does cover the mouth? It's odd that none of the other troopers styles have a mouthpiece like that.

23. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    Answered My own question

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  24. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Couldn't he have used PayPal or an E transfer?

25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Han uses a drioid, and Jabba only takes Apple Pay apparently. :p