main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams to Score the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zilonline, Jul 11, 2016.

1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Thats the one. Thanks for the link.

KembaSkywalker likes this.
  2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    There's so much subtle stuff left for us to discover over the next few years. I love a new Star Wars score to explore!

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. modaubr

modaubr Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    I posted this on another thread :

It seems like the kind of thing Williams would do, as Finn's last thoughts would probably go to Rey. Does it make sense to anyone else ?

Mostly Handless likes this.
  4. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Is anyone else a big fan of Holdo's theme? I love it. It's almost like a superhero theme

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    He has a theme. It was just never played during the movie.

It's played first in the video!

I was thinking on linking Follow Me from TFA OST, but while trying to find a clip with his theme, I noticed some people confused Poe's theme for his (I'm guessing because of the TIE fighter escape scene?). On YouTube there's a Battlefront II video claiming Poe's theme as his, just fyi.

6. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011
    I’m not sure why that video labels the Rathtar/Follow Me motif as Finn’s theme. It seems more like a chase motif throughout the film, such as when Rey and Finn run from the First Order on Jakku, fight off TIEs in the Falcon, and escape the Rathtars—all of which are scenes with other characters. Poe, on the other hand, sees his theme reprised when he has his “one hell of a pilot” moment above Takodana, tying that theme to him.

Furthermore, Poe sees his theme reprised at the top of TLJ during the dreadnaught battle and when he meets Rey at the end, whereas the TFA chase theme is not heard from again.

7. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    I don't disagree with you and wish Finn had a more flexible theme that doesn't seem just like an action/adventure thing, but it is his official theme. During TLJ I thought Rose's theme was a new Finn theme. haha (Part of me still wants to think this.)

8. RavagerFish

Nov 26, 2011
    How do we know it’s his official theme? The consensus I’ve seen is that he has no theme.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Can someone give me track names and time stamps for these themes? Finn's and Poe's?

Also, I think seeing as nothing specifically from JW says "Rose's Theme" it certainly could be Finn and Rose's theme.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  10. RavagerFish

Nov 26, 2011
    There’s definitely room for interpretation regarding what some of these motifs are tied to, to be sure, but I’d argue the themes don’t need their own tracks labeled “[character]’s theme” to be regarded as such. Generally, because the sequel trilogy tracks aren’t concert pieces for a particular character (Rey being an exception) but rather correspond to a sequence on screen, there can be several themes employed in a single track—as such, though there isn’t a track called “Kylo Ren’s theme,” we know that Kylo has his own theme.

With that in mind, I’d say it’s pretty clear to me that Rose has her own theme. It’s played right away when she first appears in the film, and returns when she scolds Finn for leaving, when she talks about her past on Canto Bight, and when she’s shown flying a ski speeder on Crait. There are a couple times when it’s played with Finn on screen as well—such as when she and Finn ride the Fathiers to escape—but overall it’s clear to me that motif is primarily tied to her character.

I can’t speak for Finn’s theme, as I’m not sure there’s a motif I’d tie to him specifically, but Poe’s motif can be heard in The Force Awakens during: “I Can Fly Anything” (1:14-1:46, when Poe flies the stolen TIE fighter away from the Star Destroyer) and “The Resistance” (from the Academy Award consideration album—0:53-1:30, when Poe destroys twenty TIE fighters over Takodana). In The Last Jedi it can be heard in: “The Main Title and Escape” (3:06-3:13, when Poe clears out the last cannon on the dreadnaught) and “Peace and Purpose” (1:51-2:06, when Poe meets Rey).

Howard Hand likes this.
  11. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    This score is REALLY growing on me. I've been listening to it a lot the last few days. It's amazing how well it can take me to exact moments and I really feel like I'm back in the theater experiencing them all over again.

12. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I remember that I originally thought it might be Finn's theme. That doesnt seem to be the case though. It's more likely intended to be a Millenium Falcon theme. The track which first has the theme is entitled "The Falcon" after all.
    We also didn't get this theme until the scene when the Millenium Falcon is revealed, despite Finn being present in the scenes prior. Also, Dave Collins on Oxygen thought so, so i'll trust his judgement.

Xinau and RavagerFish like this.
  13. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    The horns in The Falcon are obviously a motif first heard in ANH (often with the Falcon or Big Three heroics, come to think of it). It's quoting too much of Williams' prior scoring, even if brief, to be referring to anything but the OT thing (in this case, the Falcon) being seen on screen. Definitely not a theme for any new character.

Han Solo, while he had Han Solo and the Princess as his shared romantic theme (which is actually just a reworking of Leia's theme with more orchestration), never actually had a real theme. He sort of has a jaunty running motif in the Death Star that kind of is easy to associate with him in action.

John Williams actually does have some interesting tracks here, but yes, the old motifs stick out like sore thumbs as instantly recognizable in a way that the newer ones don't quite reach. I feel like the new characters need something really emotional in a heightened way that they're not getting. It's the reused Han Solo and the Princess and Luke and Leia's themes that are having that impact instead. Rey and Kylo's moments of connection have taken over the reused Force theme.

I'm loving A New Alliance for its dark, menacing fight action sound. It's almost at Indiana Jones levels of gloom and menace with a touch of sad. The Praetorian Guards have an attack motif that's quite catchy. With a brief quote of Force theme, of course.

Howard Hand likes this.
  14. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Continuing on the Indiana Jones connection, is it just me or does anyone else think The Falthiers sound like it could come straight out of an Indy film (in a good way). Classic Williams' bumbling action music with perfectly timed comedic stingers. Really adds to the (unfairly maligned (IMO)) sequence.

RavagerFish and Mostly Handless like this.
  15. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Everyone talks about the reprise of the TIE chase theme in The Battle of Crait track, but am I the only one who digs the version of the Resistance theme from 1:00 to 1:25? It’s just the perfect theme for “running the gauntlet”, so to say.

16. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I'm not sure it reminds me of Indiana Jones specifically, but the music in that sequence is definitely very 80s Spielberg.

Howard Hand likes this.
  17. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    I've connected it... The Praetorian Guard attack briefly sounds reminiscent of Slalom on Mt. Humol from Temple of Doom. Specifically, that they're both very quick, intense note repetition motifs.

Definitely an '80s Spielberg sound on The Falthiers.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Do you mean the Rebel Spacecraft theme?

19. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I've been wondering about the very end of the score. For TFA, it's the main theme, which has also been used for Luke, and then there's a lot about Luke in TLJ. This time, the score ends with a motif for Rey (0:54 in "The Scavenger" & 0:13 in "Rey's Theme"). I think it's the only time that motif is used in TLJ, and it has a somewhat dissonant harmony until the last note(s). Is it a reflection of Rey's journey in TLJ, or something that may carry into IX?

20. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    http://variety.com/2018/film/awards/john-williams-could-set-oscar-record-1202658996/

IlhamKamaruddin and Grey Matter like this.
  21. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    I have listened to my TLJ CD a few times, and I have to say, I think John Williams has run out of creative juices. I was expecting a bit more out of this soundtrack, since it was said that Johnson was going to edit the movie according to William's score. But I can't say there is anything much interesting. I actually thought Michael Gacchino's score for Rogue One was better. The last good John Williams score, IMHO, was TPM and AOTC. Didn't care much for ROTS, and TFA only had a couple or three good new songs. Seriously, where is the new equivalent of an Imperial March, or a Luke/Vader final battle music or Emperors Throne room?

22. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    There were many deleted scenes with completed music by John Williams. I think what is missing is indeed found in the deleted scenes which are missing from the movie.

John Williams had a complete idea, a start, a middle and an end for TLJ's score to send across its own message but due to the movie having to be cut shorter, it is harder for us to connect the dots.

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I love ‘Old Friends’. Especially the part from 21 seconds to 24 seconds - it is so amazing. Luke is walking around the empty and dark Falcon like a mausoleum, with ghosts of the past lingering. The glory days are over. That brief musical moment captures that vibe PERFECTLY. It’s sad and mythic at the same time. John Williams is a genius.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  24. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    This has really been bothering me. Is this Holdo's theme, or is it a First Order theme? We get it when Holdo is on screen and when she makes her big sacrifice, but I just noticed we also hear it in the soundtrack before she's supposed to be on screen. Not only that, but her theme has the First Order motif. IM SO CONFUSED. Maybe it's a theme meant for the Supremacy? That makes more sense for me at this point.

1:33

1:04. You can hear Holdo's theme. 0:19 is the motif for the First Order.

Ill have to see the film again to see if this bit of music is actually in the film during Kylo's attack on The Raddus. Holdo is introduced after the attack destroys the bridge, after all.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  25. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    Have to completely disagree. War Horse, TFA, BFG, and TLJ are among my favorite scores of the decade. He might not have as many hit scores as he did in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, but there is still something special in his music when he nails it, even today.

On Rogue One Giacchino did well, but I can also tell he had some filler moments (like when Jyn was climbing the tower). I didn't hear any filler moments in TLJ. The music immersed me throughout the whole time.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018