main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    We already see Spice the drug in TCW, specifically in season 6, where we see Lom Pyke imbibing the stuff. There's also residue of it all around his chin.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    What we don't get, however (at least on screen), is details- what effect does it have (hallucinogenic? Narcotic?) how addictive it is, and so forth.

We know that in the TCW era, spice itself is a commodity - when Hondo demands a ransom from the Republic for Dooku, he demands to be paid in spice - and the Republic pay it.

Tie-in materials tell us that it's narcotic:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/pyke-syndicate

however, other materials (Rebels Visual Guide) tell us narcotic drugs are made from spice. Spice is the "space opium", whatever Lom Pyke is inhaling is the "refined drug" - "space morphine" and so on.

We know that the Empire runs the spice mines:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/kessel

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Speaking of the Pykes, it's very cool that we're getting one in live action.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm gonna have to go back and watch the episodes of TCW that they appear in. I'm guessing some of this backstory came from George, which is very interesting for this film!

--Adm. Nick

BobaMatt likes this.
  5. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
  6. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
  7. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Only if they go full Boyz N The Hood Cheeseburger scene.

8. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Yup, and lots of those ideas have found their way into various other projects. Underworld turned out to be a great resource for ideas despite never actually getting made.

MercenaryAce and AV-6R7 like this.
  9. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I wish they'd drop a trailer already.

Anyway, I'm really nervous for this movie. Idk if Donald Glover and the Han Solo actor can capture the essence of Lando and Han. Woody Harrelson is awesome and I'm excited to see him in the role as Han's mentor but I feel a lot of fans are going to say: that's NOT Han Solo.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  10. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    They're already saying it, so no point being worried.

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Matt Smith isn't Prince Philip, either. I still like The Crown.

12. cookeycat

cookeycat Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2016
    I want the Pykes in Han Solo film (´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)
    I love the Pykes more than my life.

a random hater DMed me on IG and said that a leaked lego figure is not a Pyke,
    but a someone wearing Pyke's skull as an armor.

I'm really anxious and I can't wit until 25 May.

DarthTalgus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I LOVE THE
    PYKES
    SO MUCH

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THEM IN THIS MOVIE

14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Ever since they got mentioned in one of the early Rebels tie-in things and then never appeared in the show, I bet that the Kessel Royal Family (ugh) was going to show up in the Solo movie.

I hope we're going to see Han's childhood as a herder of giant reptilian aphrodisiac-beasts if this is being based on Lucas's extensive notes on Han's background.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, as has been said in the past, I'm like 99 percent certain Lucas's "extensive notes" really look more like this than anything:

16. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Except the potato bit is double crossed-out.

SWpants likes this.
  17. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
  18. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    "Understandably, this development could make viewers feel uneasy, but there isn’t too much to worry about in this situation."

"Despite their negative connotation, reshoots are quite common on big-budget productions and allow directors to fine-tune certain aspects of the narrative."

Supreme Leader Woke and BobaMatt like this.
  19. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    They sound more like regular old pick-ups really. Nothing sinister.

20. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    "Examples within the revived Star Wars franchise include alterations to The Last Jedi‘s Canto Bight sequence and additions to The Force Awakens‘ Starkiller base lightsaber duel."

Sure, reshoots are not at all uncommon. All recent SW films had them. But both of the stated examples had more time between reshoots and the airing date. So I'm just wondering if this will delay the release date at all.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If they push back the release date, I'll eat this thread. It ain't happening.

... although I think the flick would do better in August instead of sandwhiched between Avengers and Deadpool 2.

but, yeah, it ain't happening. Bob Iger set the May 2018 release date for Solo, and all of the other Star Wars movie release dates slipped to December from their first-stated May release date but, by God, they're going to make it May for this one.

Anyway, shamelessly stolen from screenrant but freakin gold

[​IMG]

22. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The databank page for the pykes also say that the Pykes control/controlled Kessel. Maybe we'll see the Empire take over the mines in the movie?

Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    While this is the only Starwars movie where they have actually come out to say they’ve had to give acting lessons to it’s lead actor :eek:

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Huh. This sort of sparked something in my mind, and now I'm imagining a potential scenario where the Pyke boss has a tacit under-the-table agreement with the Imperials, but is the one who actually runs Kessel and acts as the film's antagonist - but when Han shows them up in a big way at the climax, the Empire disposes of them and takes direct control. It would fit with a lot of things: stuff going all the way back to the early scripts about the Empire nationalizing groups, my own hope that the Empire will take more of a back seat similar to pre-ANH Han novels, giving 'weight' to the Kessel Run to help make it an underworld legend. Heck, it could even offer a reasonably non-contrived way to make that rumored Darth Vader cameo happen (which would also be a tie-in to earlier rejected concepts, come to think of it - the one from Rogue One where Krennic actually survived Scarif but was then choked to death by Vader).

Actually, on the note of speculating about an antagonist - we still don't really have a clear idea who the new characters actually are playing in role terms, do we? I mean, there seem to be some widespread assumptions but I don't know if any of them have a solid basis.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I love that there are still people like you here. The many Grievous fetish people left, the Gand groupies show up like once a year now, even those couple of weirdo Neimodians-Are-Love people are gone. At least someone is carrying the torch with pride.