main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST Complimentary Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I liked that I had a sense of the geography of the island. It’s kind of rare to feel that in a location but I had a general sense of where things were such that if it was somehow real I think I’d know my way around and where to get some of that delicious and refreshing space goat milk.

I love that the fish is a practical effect and alien looking too.

2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I love the new Resistance/Rebel ring, and how it secretly has a symbol.

Also, how Snoke destroys Kylo with harsh words, and this makes Kylo strongly focused to kill Snoke as soon as possible.

MarcJordan likes this.
  3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Ben flying his ship and spinning. That’s a good trick!

Xinau and Ender_and_Bean like this.
  4. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    1. Finn's bewildered look as DJ seems to hesitate after opening up the switch. Boyega really sells it. I felt the same. :D

2. The moment Finn and Rose look at each other, after the "hijack" of the walker by BB8, they suddenly duck in a split second escaping the lazer blast from Phasma/Stormtroopers. These tiny detailed set pieces! ^:)^

b. Come to think of it, both F and R duck simultaneous suddenly at Canto Bight at the bar when the tremor hits as the Fathiers are heard running in the racecourse. I wouldn't put it past that RJ intended it to show how in-line both F and R are as a team.

3. When F and R are explaining how to deal with the hyperspace tracking hypothesis with Poe. It was like a competition who has better knowledge in the nitty gritty of tech in the FO and the present GFFA.

Cheers!

MJ

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  5. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Way late to this thread, but I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. Definitely brought back the feels. Kinda weird seeing posts dated December 15, etc. Seems like a million years ago now.

I'll add a few thoughts I don't think were mentioned (or if they were, not mentioned all that often)

• Every second of every scene with Paige Tico
    • Every second of every scene with Tallie Lintra (WHY DID SHE AND PAIGE HAVE TO DIE RIAN)
    • The way the scenes with the Resistance bombers were modeled off WWII bomber footage (just like ANH dogfights were modeled on WWII fighter gun camera footage)
    • The scene where 3 bombers are wiped out by secondary explosions from their own bombs. Check out this video of a B-24 being destroyed by a bomb dropped on it from a friendly plane flying above it (at 0:53):
    • The flight helmet game in this movie was very strong. We see a lot of pilots, and their helmets are badass. Just like in ANH, it looks like each one has a story. Much better than the helmets they had in TFA.
    • The mushroom cloud over the Resistance base reminded me of the destruction of Jedha city in Rogue One
    • The engine sound of the Falcon when it leaves Ahch-To finally sounded right (it never sounded right to me in TFA and that distressed me greatly)
    • The lighting in the scene where Holdo rams the Raddus into the Supremacy. There's a visible star (presumably it's the star in the Crait system) and as the Raddus turns, you see the light from that star and the shadows it casts move in sync with the ship movement in both the exterior and the interior shots (thru the bridge windows) with Holdo. Nice attention to detail that really emphasizes the ship's turning motion.
    • Nice bit of direction given to John Boyega when Finn is walking around with his bacta bag leaking all over the place. He's all serious and concentrating so intently, while at the same time he's completely unaware of what's going on with his own backside. Have seen that look and that behavior so many times with ill friends & relatives in the hospital, when they're heavily medicated or just coming out of it.
    Glad to see so many mentions of Luke's wink at 3PO. That little moment just wrecks me.

p.s. Had to add one:

KMT's delivery of her line when Poe is asking how she and Finn met. Don't remember exactly what he says, but it's something like "good luck?", and Rose says, "don't know yet". She really sold that sense of kind of having been smitten at one point, but now the scales have fallen from her eyes and she's as suspicious now as she was infatuated before.

6. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Top class post! Enjoyed it greatly. =D=

I was bit perturbed when the bombers were imploding so easily when the debris struck them but now that you've shown the above footage. These things can happen and Leia's point "dead heroes" no leaders, is a huge wake up call to Finn.

MJ

7. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    OH, another major one...

How beautiful is the shot of a single, slow bomber, marching alone towards the dreadnought, while all hell is breaking loose around it?

8. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    "DESTROY THAT LAST BOMBER!"

9. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    1.“Bombers keep that tight formation, fighters protect the bombers” – Doesn’t that sound Luke-ish? But cuter ahem :p

2. “copy that Blue leader. You get us there. We’ll give it to them”

3. “Gunners look alive”

MJ

Mostly Handless likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Luke's force projection.

Mostly Handless and themoth like this.
  11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I’ve mentioned it before, but projection Luke (when we first see him) walking towards Leia gives me big ROTJ vibes. I feel that could’ve been their intent, as well.

12. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Rian Johnson does what Quentin Tarantino has been trying to do for years and successfully apes Sergio Leone at the end of the movie. There were shots directly lifted from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly when Ren and Luke were facing off on Crait. Johnson also does a great job of aping Kurosawa during the throne room scenes.

Dr_Cthulhu, Satipo, TK327 and 6 others like this.
  13. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Also, Leia shooting a gun on Crait.

Satipo likes this.
  14. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    My favorite quote is Hux asking Kylo:
    "Do you think you got him?"

Mostly Handless and MarcJordan like this.
  15. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    I also loved how the music blends with the action.

In many movies, the music just follows along with the action, with no direct relationship except being adequate for the moment.

John WIlliams, on the other hand, crafts every single second of his themes to match exactly the on-screen action. Every single character movement has a musical resource attached to it.

Every single movement.

The way the music is so perfectly matched to the movie, makes it almost transparent. It becomes an integral part of the movie.

Rogue One, as much as I rate a 10/10 movie, had several moments where the music just did not match perfectly the action. Not bashing the composer of Rogue One as he had a few weeks to come up with the music, and what he did was amazing in the time he had.

The only composer that matches John Williams, is Ennio Morricone.

16. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I agree with the points made here, and would like to add some thoughts of my own...
    Probably the bet acted SW film so far IMO.
    Some nice juxtaposition of Luke's theme from the OT with his new theme from TLJ, at the end when the children are acting out his adventures with their toys, Lukes heroroic OT theme has become his again.
    Some nice call backs to the OT and the PT, which aren't awkwardly on-the-nose the way some in TFA and Rogue One are.
    I thought the Fathier stampede through Canto-Bight was very 80s Spielberg.

Love Rose's theme (1:45)
    Luke's new theme (2:56)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This thread (and dozens of others) sincerely needs to pump the brakes on amateur psychological evaluations of other members who have the audacity to not share your unrivaled opinion about a film. Or we have a lovely therapy couch in the Unban Request forum where the staff apply Freud to all of the pleading that previously self-assured users fall into once forum access has been stifled.

18. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Love dem Jedi Temple nuns. Love em! I really needed additional scenes of Rey breaking crap so that the nuns could throw her more side eye.

DL44Jo, Satipo, Doom_Buggy and 2 others like this.
  19. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Best one, Adam Driver. Then Mark Hamill.

Carrie acting was much better on TLJ than on TFA.

Satipo, NileQT87 and Miles Lodson like this.
  20. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    The Millennium Falcon scenes. Every time it showed up it served it's purpose. The previous time it seemed more like fan service (sorry for using that term but I needed to), however, in TLJ I loved it.

My favourite's above all would be a) When Rey leaves Ach-To and it arrives from lightspeed over the Supremacy drops off Rey's "coffin" and speeds off in very dramatic fashion. Very awesome sequence. Top class! b) They way it's shoots (thanks to Rey) the trio of tie fighters in one fell swoop. Rose was toast when she couldn't shake them. c) The shadow of the Falcon as soon as the Tie's bite the dust. Rip roaring stuff! Beautiful. Han-like!

MJ

DL44Jo, Strongbow, TK327 and 2 others like this.
  21. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    In hindsight, that was a poor choice, as they where so close together that they chain-exploded. Which was cool :)

22. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    The moment when the camera shows that Luke was the entire time on the island, and is levitating... come on, that is the definition of badass.

On my first viewing, when nobody knew it was a projection, the audience went crazyyy.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    TK327, themoth, redxavier and 3 others like this.
  23. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    1. "Here's comes the parade"
    2. Chewie handing over the lightsaber to Rey. Didn't expect it . Nice, nice touch!
    b. "If you see Finn....tell him...yeah tell him that" ^:)^
    c.To Chewie for coming up with the appropriate level headed growl :D
    d. Chewie's confident nod after Rey approves the message.

MJ

Sarge, Mostly Handless and Garth Maul like this.
  24. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Absolutely! IMO it is extra special being the first time we see this. Then it's more appreciation each time I watched TLJ. (Rian "Jedi" Johnson took a big chance here). ^:)^

MJ

25. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Random things I like always seem to pop into my mind.

I like the sea creature skull when Rey goes into the dark side cave.

I also love the shot of Rey below the Falcon with the rain coming off it and her holding her hand out to catch the rain off the Falcon.

I like Hux smugly looking at Kylo Ren as he walks past him after explaining how they have the Resistence on a string. Like a brother who knows the other is going to get in trouble.

I love the shot when DJ comes out of the shadows in the prison
    Cell.

The guards begin to approach when Kylo Ren says “But I’ve given you everything I have!”

Snoke telling Kylo Ren that he has too much of his father’s heart and allowed himself to be beaten by a girl who had barely held a lightsaber!

I love how Snoke uses other honorifics beyond “Master of the Knights of Ren” when talking at the end. “Heir to Vader, prince of Darkness, complete your training” or something along those lines.

Rey’s innocence in the hut when talking to Ben. Her naïveté really comes through and you can tell she hasn’t been around many guys close to her in age and certainly none who understand these powers she has.

Luke seeing them and walking in angrily was perfect. He doesn’t want to lose another young savant to Ben Solo’s strange charms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.