main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    I didn't see the Ninka fire anything in the movie but all her guns are used in the Battlefront 2 map. And the Profundity fires its broadside turbos and ions as well as the point defense.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The Ninka destroys one of Kylo's wingmen with her upper turbolaser turret.

--Adm. Nick

3. Admiral Keller

Admiral Keller Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2017
    So I take it that two Wings (144 ships) is the official complement of the Resurgent SDs. So with a combined total of 864 fighters in the worlds slowest car chase...how tactically inept is the First Order?

4. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    They're inept when the plot demands it then suddenly hypercompetent when they destroy the New Republic in a few short weeks when the plot needs that as well. I REALLY liked the First Order as a concept initially, but it's hard to take them seriously when the writers aren't consistent at all about how to portray them.

5. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I thought I remembered reading that there were 30 star destroyers following the Supremacy, which would be 4320, and the Supremacy itself can probably field ten times that amount. But what do you expect from terrorists that blow up the planets they want to control?

Senator Wan likes this.
  6. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    30 resurgence-class star destroyers to take over most of the galaxy... really?

7. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Has it been stated somewhere that the entirety of the First Order's fleet was present chasing the evacuees of D'Qar?

TheRedBlade likes this.
  8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    The comment about "thirty Star Destroyers" is likely a nod back to the 30 +/- ISD's accompanying the Executor at Endor. There is nothing that says it is the entirety of the First Order Fleet. I suppose one could argue the opposite (as it isn't stated to not be the entire fleet), but that scale of minimalism seems less likely these days. Besides, I think the fact that the First Order is in the process of invading the known galaxy is evidence enough that their fleet, while far smaller than the Imperial Navy at it's height, is still a large and formidable force.

How large? As large as the plot demands. As it should be. I would caution anyone who tries to argue it requires hard numbers (big or small), as that is an exercise in futility. :p

[face_peace]

--Adm. Nick

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Given that the Resistance is 400 people on four ships and is treated as a major force in the galaxy, I would say that minimalism seems to be more likely these days.

10. Snafu55

Oct 19, 2015
    yep we're the most tied into such a small galaxy with this trilogy... versus others...
    sorry that was a bit off topic...

MercenaryAce likes this.
  11. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    If I remember correctly it seemed to be implied that there were more Mandator IV Classes out there.Seem unlikely therefore that most their fleet was with the supremacy.
    Actually I wonder if the Battlefront 2 DLC has an answer to this:
    Just before they show the heroes downloading the schematics for the Mandator IV they look at a screen with Aurebesh writing and comment that FO is bigger than they thought. Anyone know what that Aurebesh said

12. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I think they're a major symbolic and political force, not a military one. As Leia realized, the strength of the Resistance is not its paltry military presence. What really makes them dangerous is that the Resistance has enlisted a number of seasoned revolutionaries and bright young idealists. Starting a galaxy-wide revolution without the Raddus is easier than starting one without Leia and Ackbar.

redxavier and MercenaryAce like this.
  13. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Kylo's wingmen were shot down by the Raddus and Ninka. I'm just saying they're nothing like the point defense guns on modern naval warships. Real point defense guns are like, essentially, the ones on Malak's ships in KOTOR, essentially autotarget weapons.

14. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I think there were something like 100-200 or even more FO capital ships according to the BF2 dlc campaign when they showed a galactic map with tons of little dots popping up. It was definitely more than 30.

15. Snafu55

Oct 19, 2015
    Sorry off topic again,
    You'd think with such a large idealistic Victory Kid Generation (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Victory_kid) there would be a lot more now adults that would want to join the New Republic Military and Resistance after the destruction of the Hosnian system... even if many were still scared off by the First Order's power.

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    There were presumably plenty of jobs available between the NRDF and all the planetary defense forces. The PDF's are basically a quasi auxiliary/reserve for the NR, so a lot of victory kids would probably do that. Mind you, I imagine that many of the PDF's used the same ships, uniforms, and iconography of the mainline NRDF. I can see a young woman who joins the Mykapo Defense Force flying a T-65 emblazoned with local colors, but I bet you anything she had a NR or Rebel starbird on her helmet. ;)

--Adm. Nick

17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah and they were on other sides of the galaxy from D'Qar. I think it is safe to say that the FO has SDs stationed at major Centrist worlds that seceded and likely are at the very least making an approach on planets like Corellia and Dac

This is what makes me so excited for a full on war between films. The Republic has a new GAR if all these worlds are willing to fight. Think of the story potential of trying to get these worlds to send ships to different NR fleets while still protecting themselves. You will have battalions made up of squads from 5 different worlds and there would be bound to be some conflict there. The story potential is fantastic.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  18. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    I wonder if the Core Worlds would be able to scramble enough firepower to at least hold off the local FO forces to gather allies with the Resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vncredleader likes this.
  19. Snafu55

Oct 19, 2015
    is there seriously no leftover "gone somewhere else on training exercises" New Republic Armada left lead by Admiral Wedge Antilles somewhere in the galaxy... [face_praying]

I've almost lost hope...disney just wants the New Republic to not have any screen time in the ST...

20. TheRedBlade

Mar 17, 2007
    Can they? Probably. Do they have the gumption to? Remains to be seen. I'm sure Chandrila is and Corellia are at least ready to go down swinging, but Kuat and Brentaal probably not so much.

Not Disney. Lucasfilm, whose president was hand-picked by George and whose Story Group is entirely composed of employees that have been with the company since before George sold it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  21. Senator Wan

Aug 13, 2017
    There’s many other Rebellion heroes who could lead a Loyalist fleet to assist the Resistance, though apparently, Wedge was on some sort of “retirement” when the Starkiller was activated. Maybe he caught wind of things and might be trying to get help from old friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snafu55 likes this.
  22. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I fully expect Kuat to be buddies with the FO.

23. TheRedBlade

Mar 17, 2007
    Given the overall messasge of TLJ, I'm now at the point where I actually won't feel cheated if we never find out what happened to Wedge or even Lando. The future is not theirs, and the Sequels seem committed avoiding the EU's pratfall of having septuagenarian GCW veterans crossing blades with or dogfighting people a third of their age. I loved Mercy Kill, but it's about twenty years after Enemy Lines, where Wedge already considers himself too old to be climbing into a cockpit.

Very probably, particularly if the NR never continued the Star Destroyer line. I am kinda into the idea of a post-war Kuati economic depression. Sienar Fleet Systems never seemed as bound to a single planet, but we know both the Resistance and the FO used SFS or Sienar-Jaemus craft. Maybe this means Sienar's loyalties might actually be a little split?

24. Senator Wan

Aug 13, 2017
    Kuat may have still found work making tech and weapons for the NR, in addition to producing the Neb C line.

Sent from my iMC-85

vncredleader and TheRedBlade like this.
  25. Admiral Keller

Admiral Keller Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2017
    I come bearing gifts!