main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    You are right. There's two timelines.
    One of them is Legend, where LOTF Invincible has already happened, but not FOTJ.
    The other one of them is Disney Canon straight after the Starkiller base gets destroyed. 30 ABY.
    So it's actually 42 ABY EU meets 30 ABY Disney.
    It's not going to be any Jacen Ren interaction because Darth Caedus is already dead.
    Han Han interaction.... Not yet. Maybe in book 2 or 3. Sorry.
    Anyway, since this is not the fanfic board, I'll just stop introducing my fic. But still, if you ever write your own version of Legend vs Disney, please tell me. thanks

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I wish I had the talent-I just read whatever authors write.

3. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Wait a minute
    Han Han interaction is probably not happening. Seeing Han got killed in TFA!
    NOO!
    Well then, maybe he survived the lightsaber through the chest and the fall of bottomless pit?

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    And maybe Jacen somehow survived getting impaled as well! See we actually do have a story! Though that would be harder to retcon than Han surviving in canon but I suppose it could be done.

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    My problem is, canon just feels like generic replacements of stuff the EU did better or shouldn't have done at all. TFA was just such terrible, terrible damage to the universe, and Rogue One was decent but did a number on the Alliance leadership, that I just don't care about the canon universe. Wedge and Hobbie are not the same and gone because of cut content, respectively. Also, canon wants diversity, but removed hermaphrodite Hutts, which is one of the most diverse concepts out there.

6. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    There is no way the NuNR should have destroyed the NuEmpire in one single year.
    I know there is Operation Cinder or whatever, but it's like a trump card that feels like a deus ex machina.
    If we look at RL civil wars from even medium sized countries, it takes a long time. No way around it. And then after the NuPire gets destroyed, it should not take 30 years to have the FO get going. They should have attacked in maybe 15 ABY. If they cannot attack in 15 ABY, then realistically they cannot attack in 30 ABY, cause all the vitriol is gone. If WW2 in Europe didn't happen in the 1940's, it sure would not happen in the 70s. Hitler was able to fan the war fervor partly because some, if not most of the German people remembered the humiliation of the Versaille treaty back then. e.g. Just ask the average US social study student in high school or even college what Vietnam war is, and see what happens.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The Legends Galactic Civil War lasted something like 21 years. While including the early guerilla campaigns, the imperial warlordism, Thrawn's resurgence, Palpatine's last gasp, Daala's offensive and the final campaigns between Ackbar and Palleaon.

Not to mention the involvement of third parties such as the Ssi-Ruu, Nagai and Tof, Yevetha and so on.

It was far more fitting-a galactic scale civil war that involved both guerilla campaigns and lightning changes in the circumstance and positions of the factions involved.

And interesting about wars-if WW1 for example had not taken place when it did in a few years it would have not taken place at all with Russia quickly industrializing and alliances shifting.

If WW2 began a few years later than it would not have taken as long or would not have happened at all.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    However, the Great Hyperspace War and Great Sith War each lasted a single year. The Second Civil War lasted eight months. The Nagai-Tof War lasted five months at most. So short Galactic Wars are feasible, if not annoying.

However, strictly speaking while the Galactic Civil War legally began in 2 BBY, the Deep Core worlds did not surrender or fall until 25 ABY. Most people consider the War ended in 19 ABY in spite of the Second Imperium; the same is with the idea that the Empire in new canon was gone by 5 ABY.

The Battle of Jakku lasted months after the Galactic Concordance was signed and Coruscant ceded. The Empire had fleets and territories in the Core, Inner Rim and Northern Outer Rim; the guides mention a Cold War beginning after the Battle of Jakku, with annexations over time. To say the war between the Empire and Rebels was over when the Galactic Concordance was signed is no different than the Empire under Pellaeon largely settling into a Cold War after the Battle of Celanon; within the next 5 years the Empire works with Daala to attack again, and then retreats to eight sectors; the War was not over after Celanon and it was not over after the retreat - nor was it, I have noted, over when Pellaeon signed the Bastion Accords and nor was the War completely over when Mas Amedda surrenders Coruscant and signs the Galactic Concordance in Canon.

Shrug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DARTH_MU and Outsourced like this.
  9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm pretty sure in legends the GCW ended with the Bastion Accords. While the empire did maintain bases and other facilities in the Deep Core in the event of renewed hostilities there was no conflict.

I don't consider the Second Imperium Crisis to be a continuation of the war given the circumstances and personnel involved.

Though yes Galactic wars in Star Wars can indeed be relatively quick affairs-the clone wars, Sith-Imperial War, and a few others to be sure the galactic civil war in Legends was very sensible in its length given the objectives of all the combatants, the intervention of various third parties, Imperial infighting, and Imperial resurgences.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm totally fine they bounced hermaphodie Hutts in the new canon. That just gets confusing.

11. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Let's not forget the New Sith Wars collectively lasted a thousand years!

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Now that is a period of Legends history that begged for further exploration. It seemed liked such a fertile ground for stories.

13. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Have anyone ever considered that the Yuuzhan Vong may be... us?

14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I don't believe so-humanity doesn't have a sentient planet to protect us from two warring droid civilizations.

Though it is mentioned humans and Yuuzhan Vong have very similar DNA except for one strand or something(presumably a similar structure).

I don't think the Vong are human.

After all Star Wars takes place "a long time ago"

15. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Maybe the Vong Galaxy is the Milky Way. Us Earthlings would never really notice if a vast majority of our galaxy's planets were destroyed.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The Vong language resembled Janguine, so I wonder if the Vong originated from the SW galaxy but came back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Either that or there was some other Praetorite Vong even before Yomin Carr and co.

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The Vong Galaxy had to be a long long way from the GFFA given it took millennia for the Vong to reach it traversing the intergalactic void.

I read somewhere the cremlevian war was supposed to take place around 15,000 BBY. Implying the Vong trekked across the void for well over nearly 15,000 years.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Legends shout out for Noa Briqualon at the very end of last week's Star Wars show at 8:45

"MAKE WILFORD BRIMLEY CANON AGAIN!!!"

Daneira and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm all for it. :D

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. GnastyGnas

GnastyGnas Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2017
    This question is obviously directed to those who agree with the premise of my question.

I recently started taking a deeper dive into the EU post ROTJ because I've been disillusioned with the Disney ST. It's easy to understand why some people are "Lucas" purists, only taking as canon material that was created by or with direct supervision of George Lucas, but why do most Lucas fans also readily accept the EU as canon? For me, what I've read in the EU makes sense and feels like it belongs as part of Star Wars, whereas the ST feels artificial. I also know that Lucas and the old EU tried to never get in the way of or contradict each other. So what is it about the EU that we so easily accept as Star Wars that we don't feel in the ST in your opinion?

LordDallos likes this.
  22. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Merging with our existing thread which encompasses this subject.

23. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    I think it's quite simple, really. Most of the EU authors/writers/editors made it their mission to keep with the themes of Star Wars. While they all put their own spin on it, they rarely attempted to transcend or redefine Lucas' vision. Disney, on the other hand, has attempted to brand Star Wars in their own shape. I personally like Star Wars better the way it was before: when it was Star Wars.

GnastyGnas likes this.
  24. GnastyGnas

GnastyGnas Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2017
    Hey, thanks for replying! I really like your answer. So what do you think these "themes" of Star Wars are and which ones do you feel Disney violates or neglects? How has Disney redefined Star Wars?

One of the strangest things about the new movies to me is that you can tell that they're kind of "off" just by looking at them. There's just something visually weird about them... I wonder what it is. I suppose the prequels look different than the OT, but for some reason it doesn't offend IMO as it feels like the GFFA in an earlier, more prosperous era.

LordDallos likes this.
  25. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    No worries. Thanks for posting the initial query.

Thematically, I think the Disney films are failing to grasp what the Skywalker Saga is supposed to be about. It’s not supposed to be some story about a bunch of characters who struggle in a galactic crisis, some of whom happen to be Skywalkers. It’s supposed to be a family space opera, where the Skywalkers play the central roll. Also, they fail to properly utilize the force. Yes, the force is within everyone. And no, it’s not only about midichlorians and birthrights, but the force is something you have to work hard to obtain a mastery of. These films have failed to show that. They seem to want to redefine the Skywalker Saga and the force to make the films more accessible. That’s their plan to give the franchise infinite longevity.

As far as the visuals go, I do agree in many ways. While I like the practical effects, costume design and animatronics that they have utilized, I often find myself looking at the ST with confusion. One glaring problem is Disney’s refusal to use familiar aliens. The cantina scene in TFA looks like a different universe. And don’t even get me started on Canto Byte. That whole planet was like Attack of the Clones meets Great Gatsby. And there’s other things too. Their takes on Stormtrooper armor and blasters look cheap. Some of the attention to detail isn’t quite where it should be. Often, it feels like they are imitating Star Wars rather than making a film set in the Star Wars universe.

GnastyGnas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.