main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Relationship of Chirrut Îmwe and Baze Malbus

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by SateleNovelist11, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It was actually Temmin

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ah, I stand corrected—thanks.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  3. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
  4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Excuse me? John Boyega is gay in real life? Can you cite this somewhere reliable?

It should also be noted that on a different note, we are how many films into the Marvel Cinematic Universe and not one opening gay actor or LGBT character represented on screen. 17 films. Not one actor or character. Starting to get far beyond any sort of believable coincidence for me....

As for the topic at hand, I do agree with several people who have said the film doesn't really comment either way and all interpretations are valid. I personally enjoy the idea that they are romantically involved. It's fine with me and somewhat endearing. I relate to the characters even a bit more because of it.

5. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

6. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    Is Aphra bi? I only recall her ever showing interest in women? I'm fine either way but I haven't seen any more evidence that Aphra likes men than Han does.
    Can someone provide a scan to back up Aphra's bisexuality?

7. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    People of the same gender can be best friends without being into each other. Shocking I know.

Darth Sith Saber likes this.
  8. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    People of the same gender can be best friends without being into each other.
    And they can also be lovers. Both things happen.

9. Asajj Ventress

Asajj Ventress Jedi Padawan

Jan 3, 2018
    Not one person in the history of our species has ever said otherwise.

10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I like the concept of them as brothers/friends, too.

At all rates, it goes to show what some good acting can make people question. The Force works in mysterious ways. ;)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    ThereseAn'ya1994 and Master_Lok like this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Maybe I got it wrong. I have not yet read Aphra I just know she falls under the LGBTQ community and somewhere i heard that she was Bi.

12. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    I have heard other people say she's bi, but I've never seen her show romantic interest in a man.
    I read the trades so I'm always a few months behind, but unless something's happened soon, that's what it is.
    I'm not saying she's definitively not bi, just that so far she's shown as much interest in men as Han ever did. That could always change, and it wouldn't surprise me if she did, but she's been around for awhile now without it happening.

13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Where did I say they were? Nowhere. I just saw them as warriors who shared a bond, but not in a sexual way. Geez.

Avnar likes this.
  14. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Like I said, it could go either way. Personally, from what a few of you have said, I favor the "brothers" theory over the "lovers" theory now. R1 is my second favorite SW film after TESB now. If anything, this is bittersweet. Bodhi was a great man who sacrificed everything for this mission. He could have had a peaceful life, but he committed to aiding this rebellion. Similarly, Baze was seeking purpose again in life, and Chirrut is just the bomb.dot.com. Hehehehehe. Wonderful performances. I brag a lot about Jyn, Cassion, and K2, and so I'm happy to do this.

ThereseAn'ya1994 and Master_Lok like this.
  15. odin1981

odin1981 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 31, 2016
    As a veteran I see them more as best friends. Not that they couldn't also be gay though. From my experience when I was in combat with my brothers often best friends or friend groups would often have the sarcastic back and forth that they both had as a bit of one up each other per say. It was quite often for humor to be found in either sarcastic platitudes or dark humor as well. However the way you have described it I can see equally as it being either and/or both.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  16. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think that based on Rogue One -movie alone at least Chirrut and Baze are not really lovers. More like brothers.

Thinking them as a gay couple is probably just a misconception caused by modern western culture in which close relationship between unrelated males is rare unless they are homosexual. In many other cultures (and in ancient times) homosexuality is unthinkable, but close relationships between men are not- and they were also more common in the past than nowadays (even though some of those may have been secretly homosexual). It is also true that sex between men has been accepted in some cultures in which idea of gay marriage has been crazy and unthinkable. Also in some other cultures it has been thought of as a terrible sin, even if love between two equal men are seen as pure and real form of love.(often even more so than love between man and woman, especially in cultures that see all sex as impure or sinful)

Because these people live in a galaxy far far away in a totally different culture we would need to know more of which sort of relationships are typical for people of Jedha and how Guardians of Whills even see sexuality. Since they are religious movement they may require even celibacy which would make thought of any sexual action forbidden, gay or not. Or who knows how liberal they are- they may be, since they are fictional so they need not to follow any real ideas or moral standards. Since Jedha is based on oriental cultures, middle eastern influence and actors are chinese. I think it is best not to apply western standards of sexuality to them without any basis. Sure in SW galactic mainstream culture seems to be dominated by ideals that are very much like modern western thought, liberalism versus fascism, but Jedha is supposed to be foreign to all that. I think people should also remember that "straight" and "gay" are not only sexual orientations there is- there is also bisexuals, asexuals, pansexuals.... Movie makes it clear Chirrut and Baze are close and care for one another, but it says nothing about their sexuality and for me their relationship didn't look sexual at all.

17. mirrorbright

mirrorbright Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2016
    I personally feel fans can to interpret their relationship in any way they want to (same goes for whether or not Jyn and Cassian started developing romantic feelings for each other or not). Friends, brotherly relationship, romantic, whatever you want to think.
    I personally wish they were explicitly made to be a romantic couple, but I figured some of the audiences wouldn't like it, so they went with this choice. But again, I'm fine with anything regarding these two.

18. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    I feel the same way, Mirror Bright.

19. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Whatever their relationship entailed, one cannot deny that they are among the reasons why the film is entertaining. Chirrut is an obvious example. But Baze has a good character arc. It's also funny how he sighs when he relaxes after Cassian and Jyn's disagreement. Overall, Baze and Chirrut are as good as K in terms of the supporting cast. Bodhi, I believe, is the weakest character of the movie. Good performance and all, but his initial motivation should have been more fleshed out, and he should have experienced more lasting damage from Bor Gullet. At any rate, I like how helpful Chirrut is in the film, and you get the sense that he and Baze have had some pretty impressive adventures in the past. "We've been in worst cages than this, Captain," he tells Cassian. You gotta admit that the man has some wonderful lines. Best one: "There is more than one sort of prison, Captain. I sense that you carry yours wherever you go."

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'll say I saw more tenderness during my recent viewing, which made me see them as a romantic couple. I understand Endor_boy's frustration over the plausible deniability.

21. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Next to Han and Chewie, and Din and Grogu, they’re the best duo in Star Wars, IMO.

And see @CT-867-5309 - Rogue One really rewards a rewatch. Watch it a couple more times and you’ll love it.

Sarge likes this.
  22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I saw a lot more in Baze overall. A tragic past, bitterness. He was probably more like Chirrut, a true believer, when they were younger, before the Empire.

23. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    The relationship is a good example of less is more. Little comments like "Baze was once the most devoted guardian of us all" sets your imagination going and makes the universe fell bigger and more real. People think they want every detail of every character explained all the time - but in reality that's usually a bad idea.

Sarge, EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. ThereseAn'ya1994

ThereseAn'ya1994 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2023
    To me, the most telling things proving that the two were in a relationship were how they said goodbye to each other, Baze's sheer determination to avenge Chirrut and that final look Baze gave to Chirrut just before his own death. It's very moving stuff. It's interesting that people are willing to openly acknowledge that Vel and Cinta are dating in Andor but the somehow possibility of a relationship between Baze and Chirrut is considered controversial. Both are equally valid and I would imagine that Vel and Cinta's relationship should make one between these two men more acceptable to some. Of course everybody's entitled to their own opinion. But eyes don't lie.

Bor Mullet and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  25. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    That's what I was talking about initially, and I suppose I've been a bit too accommodating of the alternative notion. But all relationships are equal. Unfortunately, though, I doubt we'll see a transgender person or a polyamorous relationship on screen in Star Wars. Maybe a nonbinary person, though. Even so, I think that Star Wars should reflect the real world, and I'm glad the writers of Andor elected to do so with Vel and Cinta.

Bor Mullet likes this.