main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Horizon Series: Zero Dawn (PS4) and Forbidden West (PS4/5)

Discussion in 'Community' started by JEDI-SOLO, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    PSN took Frozen Wilds down to £9.99.

I can't say no at that price, so it's currently downloading.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    It's certainly among the best DLC additions to any game I've come across. It features some of the toughest machines in the game.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    vw_jedi and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, there could be a rant or two here then!

4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    There will be when you meet the frostclaw.

The scorcher is annoying enough and there is another one to follow that I consider more annoying than a frostclaw

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Outside of the collectibles, the only thing I have left to work on in the DLC is the Hunting Grounds. The Chieftan Trial, which ends has you face two frostclaws at once; is the kicker.

6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm just on collectables and hunting grounds now.

I may do tutorials for a giggle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I haven't finished the main game yet. As soon as I finish the Chieftain Trial, I'll go back to the main game and complete it.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Just beat the game today. Such an incredible game. I sat through over a half hour of credits just to give the developers their respect. Now it's on to collectibles and eventually a New Game+.

Oh yeah, I got this from eBay.
    [​IMG]

Seeher, vw_jedi and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    heels1785 likes this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Quick question to those who own/have played - is there any benefit to picking up TFW before I finish the main story? I'm certainly going to get it, but didn't know if there's any point in doing so while it's still on sale for PS Plus.

11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You might as well pick it up if it's on sale. I did actually play through the DLC before completing the main story of the game.

Just last night I finally picked up the Shield Weaver armor. I know it was after the fact of completing the game, but I wanted to gain all of the collectibles and finish all of the side quests before starting a New Game+ (you get to keep all of your loadouts).

heels1785 likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd buy it while its going cheap but wait until after completing the main game - though, you'll end up doing that anyway. When the plot really kicks in....

heels1785 likes this.
  13. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It is a good way of leveling up though; and you can obtain some pretty nifty weapons and armor for the standard game - probably the best that'll be available until you start a New Game+

Jedi Ben and heels1785 like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, there's that - without giving the game away for Heels, how much of a jump is it compared to the main game? Haven't started it yet.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    IMO it's far more challenging; no matter which difficulty setting your game is at and what level you're up to. I won't give anything away, but while it doesn't directly affect the main story, it does supplement it. You can almost consider it to be a "spinoff".

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Guys....how many boars do I need to kill in order for me to get a ****ing boar skin?! :mad:

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Seriously though, you just gotta keep at it. Boars are among the easier animals to find and kill in the game. It gets even more tedious when you're trying to hunt the smaller animals for their skins and/or bones.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Old proverb say: Only when you do not want it, will you get it.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Excellent news.

Also, HZD was up against massive competition in the form of the best Zelda game in years both at the time of release and over the last year. And yeah, the game can absolutely sell PS4 - it is the only system to play this on.

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm not going to talk about the competition with the Zelda game because they'll be no end in sight. From the moment I saw the original trailer of the game I knew it wasn't a question of if I was going to buy it new but when. And I'm extremely picky when it comes to new game purchases.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_laugh]

Well, the idea is that most games would have got steam-rollered by that level of competition - instead HZD still sells millions of copies, there's the Monster Hunter outfits that'll draw people to it.

If HZD2 has a clear shot, it might go even further than its illustrious predecessor.

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I wonder if Guerrilla Games would hold out on releasing a sequel for a few years; until Sony comes out with the its next console (PS5). It might be just too tempting to work on releasing the game sooner.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think they're working on it. That's why there was only the one, big DLC expansion.

They've a world they can keep adding to, so why not? Especially with lots of the work done.

I've no official info, just guesswork.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, after a 7 month break, I returned to this tonight.

The practice run of re-acquainting myself with the world involving killing 4 Glinthawks, 3 Watchers, 3 Scrappers and 3 Flinthorns - I had forgotten just how much arse Aloy can deck when she gets going.

Then, entered the new area and had that Daemonic Scorcher fight....

Frankly, it was hugely, ****ing irritating - the thing ignored every single thing the focus flagged up - Freeze arrows? No effect. Load of electric wires to stun? Had bugger all effect. It was a frustrating pile o' bullcrap and it really cast a pall over the DLC in the immediate term. Problem being that this is the first fight you have, is it representative of all that is come? If it is, I'm not going to get far here.

Fortunately, it slowly recovered - had conversations, various quests got added and I decided to go straight for the Tallneck. It made for an excellent quest, tracking down the machine parts - turns out Aloy was fine dealing with Daemonic Scrappers and Watchers. Tormenting the former with an array of blast wires was highly fun. Then I took out a normal Scorcher and a few Glinthawks, before hoping onto the Tallneck when I had activated it. That remains one of HZD's signatures - how do you make tower climbing exciting? You render it as a giant, non-hostile and mobile robot.

After that, decided to make my way to the town on the eastern edge of the map and ended up tangling with control towers. I had feared they would make these towers indestructable, with only over-ride being temporary, you know, for the "challenge". Fortunately, nope, once over-riden, you can destroy them. One seemed fairly straight-forward, as did another, there was only Watchers, daemonic variety yes, but still Watchers. Nope, not just Watchers, Daemonic Stalkers too! That ended up being quite the punch-up.

Before I took out the third control tower, I took on Daemonic Scorcher - well hello bastard, I know how to kill you now - and a pair of Daemonic Longlegs - then did the tower and called it a night.

It sounds nuts to say this, because HZD is an incredibly good looking game, but Frozen Wilds takes it to a new level. The snowfield effects on the Tallneck quest were amazing.

Have only done exploring, found that Aloy can deck the various Daemonic versions, but not done any quests or got any new weaponry.

It is a big, big expansion, with the same stunning, dense design that made HZD's world stand out.

vw_jedi and Ahsoka's Tano like this.