main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Indy 4 that bad?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by skywalker_san, Mar 12, 2011.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    There were a few over the top moments for me...but overall I quite enjoyed it actually. I felt the character parts were well performed, good action sequences (the jungle car chase scene leading to the ants was great IMO), the whole first half of the film felt very appropriate for an Indy film, I liked the whole '50's vibe the movie had, including the use of aliens and connection to the Roswell incident etc. Great to see Marion again-being Marion, and I actually didn't mind Mutt. I thought he'd just be this bumbling comic relief-but he could actually hold his own, I liked that.

The only things I didn't like:
    -Nuke the fridge
    -Swinging with monkeys
    -"not from space, but the space between spaces." I mean why couldn't they have just been from space?!

But these were just brief moments-which didn't ruin the whole rest of the movie for me. IMO Much better than Temple of Doom, with all of Willie's shrieking...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I liked it, especially the ending. [face_love]

christophero30 likes this.
  3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Is Indy 4 that bad?

[​IMG]

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's not that bad.

But it's not that good, either.

5. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    The action sequences in Indiana Jones 4 >>> 2010's blockbuster action sequences (except for the fun Indy throwback sequence in The Last Jedi (the Falthiers scene))

The script, dialogue, and cinematography (a rare misfire for Kaminski) are all pretty lame though

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  6. Your Pal Friendpatine

Your Pal Friendpatine Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2017
    Yeah I thought it was pretty crappy. I went in expecting it to be better than what people were making it out to be, figuring they were just being impossible to please. I thought that even a phoned-in Indy movie would probably at least be decent. Sometimes word of mouth is bad for a good reason though. It had some moments but they were few and far between while the bad moments were plentiful and long.

7. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I enjoyed the action sequences. The st is also good.

8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    You know, I always thought the ending of The Last Crusade was the perfect way to end the franchise. And it basically is - riding off into the sunset. But seriously, the wedding scene is the next best thing. I love how low key it is. Indy gets a happy ending, and we get to see him at a different part of his life. KOTCS allows the character to have a more complete character arc. Yes, he's older...but he's still INDIANA JONES. He's still the man. And what better way to show that by putting on the hat? He's not handing the mantle over to anybody.

9. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    Irina Spalko's pretty much all Crystal Skull's worth watching for ...

[​IMG]

Emperor Ferus and christophero30 like this.
  10. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    It's okay just kind of meh for me. I love the original Indy trilogy, and I am a big TOD fan so I know how it feels to have to defend something many don't like. :p

StarYogi and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I liked Indy 4, I just don't like that they have taken forever to do an Indy 5. With the available special effects, they can really expand on stories. The thing is now, Harrison Ford is a bit older, and how believable will it be to see him doing big jumps of chasms.

12. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I had heard Crystal Skull was bad before I watched it and I think that clouded my judgment. Over the past two weeks, I watched all four Indys and I ended up really enjoying Crystal Skull.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Darthman92 likes this.
  13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    For me the only real stupid scene is the jungle chase. Tarzan Jones is simply horrible.

eko32eko7 likes this.
  14. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Oh yeah, for sure. The Tarzan part is just too cheesy, but I like how it brings Jr. back to the action between the two vehicles.

15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The main problems with the Jungle chase for me are that firstly I have no interest in seeing them trying to hand the baton to Mutt and watching him be the focus of the action. Also that whole scene is also dragged down by Marion coaching him from the sidelines as he's fencing, along with the knowing looks from Indy and Marion, they may as well break the fourth wall and wink to the audience and say "see that... chip off the old block right there". Terrible stuff.

17. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    The scenes in Peru from getting off the plane to surrendering to Mac after they find the skull in Orellana’s tomb are the best bit of the entire film for me. Some of Indy’s dialogue is good and it feels like an Indiana Jones movie. The fact that there are just the two characters together helps, as it becomes a bit crowded towards the end.

The Good
    Area 51 scenes up to the rocket sled thing
    Orellana’s Cradle scenes
    Some good Indy dialogue:
    “Good thing we’re not grave robbers”
    “Dance on your own dime will ya?”
    “Depends on who your God is”
    “They had him locked in the sanitarium, it’s this way <doffs hat> sister”
    “Here and gone. Who is she?”

The Bad:
    Too much CGI
    Some rubbish dialogue
    Jungle sequence
    Oxley character
    Too crowded
    Indy helps the Russians find the Temple?
    Indy’s slapstick clumsiness
    Nuke the fridge
    There’s more...

18. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of Indy IV. So much so, I had to rewind and watch certain parts over again to understand them. There is always a supernatural element in the Indy films.

19. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    KOTCS brings to mind a sense of old school fun that is kind of a lost art these days. I think it does have a little too much CGI but the Indy spirit is still there. It’s a Moore Bond type atmosphere where we’re a big kid just going along for the ride. It can be hard sometimes as an adult, but if you completely let go of strict reality it’s a fun time - I’m looking at the fridge scene for example. It puts Indy in a “how the hell will he escape THIS” scenario.

20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I just watched Indiana Jones 4 yesterday I really like It a lot I think a big reason I like It I am a UFO Nut I love shows like Ancient Aliens, Project Blue Book, Unsolved Mysteries especially the Alien stories and anything about Aliens I love shows movies books. So the Alien Aspect of the film didn't bother me one bit It totally felt like an Indiana Jones movie to me I absolutely loved it even nuking the fridge and the Gophers!

21. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    It seems to have a following around here. I wish i liked it more. i don't hate it, but it doesn't have the magic of the other 3 to me. I enjoyed the first half and after the jeep chase it seemed to go flat.

22. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    No and yes; It had a lot of great ideas, but executed them horribly.

23. MikeWW

MikeWW Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2019
    No, it's a good movie. Maybe not QUITE up there with the other 3, but definitely in the same ballpark.
    Also the fridge scene isn't any more over the top than the airplane pontoon float scene in Temple of Doom.

Indy 4 fell victim to prequel style double standards.

24. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    true but Temple of Doom has some incredible action scenes to balance out the silliness. The opening 20, the bridge and the mine cart chase are classic action set pieces.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  25. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    I liked the beginning and the 1950's setting. I thought it would have been cool for them to have explored that more fully, venturing into other areas of the world during that time period instead of returning to yet another jungle setting. The aliens plot was also just a bit much for me.