main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Which Star Wars era did you grow up in?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by basiloregano3004, Dec 9, 2016.

?

Which SW era did you grow up in?

1. 1977–1983: The Original Trilogy era

27.2%
  2. 1984–1990: The Calm era

11.7%
  3. 1991–1996: The Thrawn trilogy/EU jumpstart/pre-Special Edition VHS era

12.2%
  4. 1997–2007: The Special Edition/Prequels/OG Clone Wars multimedia project era

40.0%
  5. 2008–2014: The New Clone Wars era

7.8%
  6. 2015–present: The Disney/Force Awakens era

1.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Pre-special edition era for me. I started off with the 1995 VHS box set, along with Kenner's 1995 Power of the Force line of action figure line.

Fandalorian and Moff Hylldar like this.
  2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The Special Edition/Prequel Trilogy/Clone Wars era. :anakin:

3. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I was 9 when TPM came out, and it was the first SW movie I saw in theater, so I picked the 1997-2007 era. I have a very great, vivid memory of seeing TPM as we saw it in the brand new hugeeee movie theater that was built 20 miles away from where we lived. I was already a fan, having watched the OT and I stole all of my older brother's toys. But it was an unforgettable experience. I think it definitely contributes to my appreciative nature with the prequels.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I did almost the same thing with the RotJ novel. But I somehow forced myself to stop reading at the end of the Dagobah scene and wait to see the movie. That was the only one of the OT I saw unspoiled; I read the books first for SW and ESB.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    You were book spoiled for TESB? Wut! What did the revelation feel like?

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It was a shocker. I looked up from the page, stunned. Then looked again to make sure I read it right.

7. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    OT era. Hooked through 82'ish or so, then my tastes moved on and I hung up my "fan" hat but remained an "more than average interested general audience member" through the LucasArts games, the EU and prequels. Became born-again fan thanks to TCW, and that energy has sustained on through Rebels (and hopefully through whatever Filoni comes up with next.)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  8. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    OT. Wide-eyed four year old when I saw SW in 78 (uk) and I haven't actually grown up since. I bought the action figures back then, then the audio books, the music...the VHS...the costumes...Thrawn books etc....special editions...PT....more books...TCW...Rebels...ST...and I love it all, warts and all. Yes, even Jar Jar and Phasma.

I bought my son all the lego and toys but he wasn't really that interested. But lo, another child was born unto us and she was the chosen one, my Rey of sunlight, who took all of her brothers toys and went even more SW crazy than me. Clone Wars on a loop in this homestead.

Emperor Ferus and firesaber like this.
  9. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    I grew up with the originals and had been hooked ever since seeing Return of the Jedi in the theatre. I honestly thought that was it for Star Wars though, apart from Caravan of Courage and the Ewok Movie, I had assumed the story was over. Forever. Star Wars was pretty much a dead brand in the 90's and was only really kept going in our imagination through the Roleplaying Game and the unbelievable brilliant Sourcebook which expanded upon the universe with great detail. I remember then stumbling upon the Courtship of Princess Leia in my local library and that was the first EU book I read, and was, in my mind , the offical sequel to ROTJ even though Truce of Bakura was more meant to be the next few days after Endor. So, Courtship started getting me back into the world and I kept reading the books and playing the games, like Shadows of the Empire on the N64 until the Special Editions came out and I started to get worried as I didn't like many of the changes George put in, the Greedo shot, Luke screaming, the big brontosaurus walking in front of the camera in ANH...
    I actually loved all the prequels, even though they got a lot of flack, I thought people missed the point on them, the world was meant to be more shiny and new looking, it was a more civilised age! Ok, they weren't perfect, but they really felt like EVENTS when they came out.
    The Force Awakens had me intensely excited but I felt it was a wasted opportunity and a re-thread of what had come before and sort of invalidated the importance of the rebel victory in ROTJ. I'd have much preferred to see a strong New Republic facing off against a new threat and leave the dark side and so on as a defeated foe.
    Then The Last Jedi pushed me too far, it just....wasn't good in my opinon.

Thankfully Rogue One and Solo are great. I'm starting to feel that I'm too old now, the Anthology films are made for my likes these days and the saga films are strickly for the kids.

fair enough.

Moff Hylldar likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Still can’t beileve I haven’t answered this yet. Anyway I grew up with TCW. It was my first Star Wars film in theaters and it still holds a special place in my heart today.

darkspine10 likes this.
  11. Princess Of Manchester

Princess Of Manchester Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2018
    My mom was the original star wars fan. I was around i wanna say 14 when I saw ANH but I was fifteen when I saw TFA and then I became a huge fangirl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    I'm a prequel kid all the way. Watched the OT from VHS in the wake of the release of TPM.

13. DarthKamen

DarthKamen Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2018
    Well, I was born in December of 2000. So I was only 4 when ROTS was in theatres. Going by this....TCW era I guess.

BUT, I didn' get into Star Wars until last year, at the age of 16. Growing up, Star Wars was just not something I cared about. I thought Clone Troopers looked kind of cool but that was about it.

TX-20 likes this.
  14. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    1979 - The Calm Era

First saw Star Wars on a VHS tape that my Dad recorded off of a TV broadcast. He even "paused" out the commercials so that it didn't have any interruptions. Loved it since first viewing.

Jedi Knight Fett and Blobofat like this.
  15. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Your dad was wise. I had to FF through endless R. Whites lemonade and Captain Birdseye adverts.

TX-20 likes this.
  16. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    I pre-date all the options. (I voted in the OT era category.) Born in 1961, saw the original Star Wars in theaters (opening weekend, no less) as a high school freshman.

Man, right now I feel older than Obi-Wan Kenobi in ANH. It's been a great ride, though! :D

Findswoman , TX-20 and Blobofat like this.
  17. Darth 47.1

Darth 47.1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 1999
    I straddle the OT and calm era being born in the OT but too young to really understand Star Wars but I was also born during that time and grew up with it through the mid 80's.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  18. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Picked 2015 - present. If I had been interested at the time, probably would have been TCW, but this was when I got into Star Wars, and the movies I have anticipated and seen in theatres.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  19. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
    Prequel Era, but dislike most of the prequels.

20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Old man.
    A child of Star Wars. The movie called Star Wars, with Empire being the prime of my geekdom.

The Prequels came in my cynical 30's. When The Matrix seemed a whole lot cooler.
    I can see myself in a good deal of the people not liking the new movies. That adult wanting their childhood thing to take on a more serious attitude.

The new movies. I've loved them all. I can pick criticisms of them without getting angry about anything. I'm just happy to play in their essential silliness again as I gradually go senile.

Sarge and SithOverlord101 like this.
  21. ronifer

ronifer Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2018
    I was born in 1992 so I chose The Special Edition/Prequels/OG Clone Wars multimedia project era.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  22. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I was born in December 1977. My parents told me that they did watch ANH in the theater while my mom was pregnant with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.