main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I remember a kinda cryptic remark that Mon Mothma made early in Aftermath. I don't have the book in front of me, but she alluded to some "safeguards" that would be put into place after the disarmament. Does anyone have the quote handy? It continues to intrigue me...

--Adm. Nick

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Sinrebirth , Darkslayer and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Legends had Jedi vs Vong, Jedi vs Mandalorians in the Kotor comics, Jedi vs abeloth, Jedi vs underworld in scourge novel, along with jedi v Sith.

New canon films go straight for the rehash, and the new eu is too constrained to explore other stuff.

Time will tell if the new eu gets better but the flagship media, the new films, aren't setting a good example. The anthology films may help though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Darkslayer and Gharlane like this.
  3. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    Sure, it's fun, but in Legends, they didn't necessarily give us another, bigger Death Star or Hoth/Geonosis.

The New EU practically explored every other option. I'd like the idea that they're getting the Remnant out of the way first. Rehashes now, new stuff later, but I was hoping for just one rehash then new stuff in Ep. VIII. But...

Anyhow, I'm simply questioning what path they can go from here after the FO/Imperial wannabes have bit the dust.

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Wedge Antilles and the Secrets of Tellaris: A Star Wars Story

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Between Heir to the Empire and Vector Prime being released in 1999 we had eight year’s of the Empire being used as the bad guys with Dark Jedi and genocidal aliens and criminals appearing.

Then we had the Vong, and the Mandalorians. They pop up as asides to the main plot off and on.

But we went back to Sith and Empires with some immediacy from Dark Nest in 2005 to 2013...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AusStig and PCCViking like this.
  6. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I actually consider the EU starting from 'The Keeper's World', along with the Nagai war and the Alan Moore stuff---that was new stuff, and within the early years of the EU. We also had the Ssi-ruuk in the modern EU.

PCCViking and Sinrebirth like this.
  7. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    spoilers for Darth Vader: DLOTS #10.
    I guess luke in his travels found the cave that housed the last remaining Jedi Holocrons

8. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    You have provided absolutely no evidence for your guarantees of what the plot of Episode IX will be like. Don't get on a high horse and don't disrespect other users.

9. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    I made no guarantees, they're 'feelings.'

I put out questions that anyone could've answered in a calm fashion rather than attempting to stifle my opinion.

As I stated I am weary of the 'rehash' argument but telling me to shut up and enjoy it isn't productive at all.

I have an opinion regarding things and unless the moderators tell me I'm out of line, I intend to express them. Much like anyone can comment another's opinion. Case in point, your comment regarding your own weariness about 'rehases'.

10. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    No attempt has been made. Don’t play the victim card.

11. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    I've presented my own feelings regarding the ST so far and where they'll go from here. That is all. If you have a counterargument, I'll receive it.

If not, 'this bickering is pointless.'

12. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    In the Vader issue released today there was a scene in the very end of an older Luke finding the old cave where Jocasta Nu was hiding all the old files of Force Sensitives around the galaxy. He looked quite a bit older than he did in the OT so I am guessing it is supposed to take place around the same time he agrees to take Ben as a student.

AusStig, Revanfan1 and TheRedBlade like this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Jammin, spoiler code that, will ya?

14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Sorry. Got it. I created a thread so we might be able to specifically talk about that. I'll put that under tags to.

15. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Hm. I always wondered if poor Luke ever got to see his father before he became DV. H should be able to find that recording Ahsoka was meditating to, right?

If not, the Skywalker family really has been set up to be purely tragic....

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    He saw what Anakin really looked like at the end of ROTJ. Remember Hayden was the force ghost in the special editions.

17. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    That's true, but I meant Luke seeing Anakin in action as a Jedi and speaking.

That's to say nothing about whether Luke/Leia know about Padme. Plus Leia/Anakin, it's obvious those two never reconciled.

Or did they?

I know in Legends she names her youngest after Anakin. But, this isn't Legends, so that's moot. :p

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    It is starting to look like in canon they are setting Aphra up to be the one to tell Luke and Leia about Padme. Aphra knows about the connection.

19. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Eh, I suppose in the grand scheme it doesn't really matter. Not everybody goes through life knowing who their parents are. A parallel with Rey perhaps.

Luke knows his father, but he doesn't KNOW him. Same can be said for Leia.

20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Leia knew her real father very well. Bail was the one who loved her and raised her and taught her right from wrong. I don't think Leia ever considered Vader to be anything more than her father on a strictly biological level. Her long denial and concealment of her true heritage is indicative of this.

21. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Jedi? In Legacy V2? Are we reading the same comic?

22. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I would have thought it was a reference to things like the forces that form Leia's Resistance and funding being set aside, but maybe they also moth-balled parts of their fleets instead of sending them to the breaker yards.

Another thing that occurs to me reading through this thread is the idea that "the Resistance" is only 20 people on the Falcon. While that might be true, there's still a whole lot of worlds with self defense forces and private security forces that would step up in the face of an FO invasion. OTOH, there's also worlds that are already secretly aligned with the FO and might well side with them.

I don't think what we're seeing is a repeat of the Galactic Civil War, instead we may end up in a situation where we have multiple galactic powers (this opens up the potential for future storytelling), and maybe the FO survives or maybe it becomes something else once again. The thing to remember about the Resistance is that it was partly blessed by the NR, but with the NR leadership dead, there's no one to order reinforcement of those forces, and what remains of the NR fleet is probably busy recovering from the attack that just happened as well as setting up to protect the NR worlds that remain, even if the political arm and most of the military command is gone.

We don't know, once things kick off, how much in the way of assets the remains of the NR as well as any worlds that wish to fight the FO, even if it's not under the banner of the NR, can muster. Once the FO attacks things turn into an actual war, not a cold war between an FO that isn't seen as a threat and a small Resistance cell that was deniable to the NR brass.

23. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Thinking of the disarmament I can't help but remember Crimson Empire III. Basically, when the old Empire fully phased out old warships they had them secured in reserves. Over a decade later a wannabe-successor to the Empire cracked open one of the old storehouses, revealing a fleet of functional "legacy designs". If the Resistance needs a deus ex machina...

AusStig and MasterPrince713 like this.
  24. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I think we're looking at a the difference between Germany post-WWI and post-WWII here. Sure, Germany got hit with crushing reparations in 1918, but it had not been invaded before that and its leaders weren't put on trial for all the world to see their crimes. The galaxy let the Imperials off easy once. The First Order is not the kind of infection you leave alone, hoping it will get better. It has to be burned out or amputated completely.

25. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I agree, although I also think that part of the issue with the FO and the reason it found it so easy to reconstitute and gain footholds on former Imperial worlds is that there was/is a chunk of the galaxy that wanted a firmer hand on the wheel or didn't see the problems with Imperial rule. Even within the NR you had sectors and politicians who wanted a strong central government and military.

My point was more about the short term for story purposes...Disney may decide to leave the FO, or something that grows from it, in play in order to be a faction in the galaxy in they choose to leave an antagonist in play. Even if the heroes triumph over the villains of the ST, we may see the organization or ideals survive or change yet again...or not, we won't know until Episode 9 airs, but I think the romance of the Empire has been shown having a foothold on many worlds and that's something that could be ripe for stories either in books and comics or potential future movies, but we'll see.

I'm sure just as many will point to the NR's decapitation as a sign of their "weakness" vs the "strength" of the FO...because, honestly, that's just what would happen and we've seen it in the real world often enough, but you're right in that the smart thing would be to make sure the FO or remains of the Imperial military and their political and sociological leaders are eliminated or neutralized for the good of the galaxy, especially as with each iteration they seem to become more unstable.

TheRedBlade likes this.