main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Did The Last Jedi change your view of the new SW canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Dec 14, 2017.

?

Did The Last Jedi change your view of the new SW canon?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2018.
  1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    46.8%
  3. I don't have a answer now.

10 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Yeah, if there's any problem I have with the new regime, it's on EA and Disney's decision to give them an exclusive license. It's a move that only makes sense if you've never actually looked at EA as a company, and you haven't read the history of Star Wars video games. Star Wars has such a rich history of first and third party titles ranging back 30+ years, including some pretty innovative and experimental games. And, instead of continuing that with the monetary might of the Mouse, they decide to give the license to one of the worst Publishers around for 10 years exclusively, basically eliminating the chance of any studio outside EA's umbrella getting a hand at making something in the Star Wars universe.

If anything makes my blood boil, it's that.

2. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Hopefully, Disney takes away their rights at some point.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    That's basically my perspective on the whole of the Disney era...
    Dark Horse replaced by Marvel.
    All those great titles being worked on replaced by EAfront.
    No movies replaced by bad movies.
    TCW replaced by Rebels.
    A personally awesome canon cut down to a slab.
    When you don't like the replacements it's hard to stay positive.

Dr. Steve Brule and srd5090 like this.
  4. srd5090

srd5090 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2012
    Chiming in here.

I was heartbroken with the New Canon announcement back in 2015 or whenever it was. But I tried to be a good sport. Bought NuCanon novels, enjoyed Rebels for what it is, and was trying to be on board with stuff. I had been cautiously optimistic with the content and enjoy a decent amount of it.

But after TLJ? I'm done. No thanks. I guess should've known better. I liked TFA well enough, but what 'Star Wars' is now that TLJ has been released... I'll only say that Kylo Ren is an interesting character to watch and Adam Driver does a good job acting the part.

But I'll take Waru. I'll take LotF and FotJ. I'll take whatever the EU had at its worst, knowing I'm also getting it as its best. I'm just sorry for my eventual kids. The classic OT and Luke Skywalker are tarnished and that is what future generations will know as Star Wars.

5. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I find it fascinating that in a world where LOTR, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, GoT, etc. have all been direct almost word for word in some cases, adaptations of books, there is such a STIGMA around Star Wars books and the possible notion of encouraging more people to engage with and become interested in the books. There's clearly a large (or was) audience for the video games, before the BF cock ups, but more effort should have been put into tying their books into the games - which in fairness I think Inferno Squad does (I haven't read it yet).

But this notion of refusing to ever make a film adaptation of a book, or having key elements of a movie tie into a book, is a bit old world. It honestly screams of "We love twists and tricking people and shocking people and having a film be a book adaptation is boring because then we wouldn't be able to keep it a surprise."

Gray and others have acknowledged they can't write anything between VI and VII without the express permission of DR. Which kind of indicates, as nothing is coming out, that there is currently a tight lid on those events.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  6. Shadowrain10

Sep 12, 2017
    It's mostly that I don't want the books to become obsolete. I want them to have a bigger role in the franchize then they actually have at the moment, and in my mind by putting all the important information from the books in to the movies it cheapens the overall effect of the books because there would essentially be no real reason to go out and read the books if the movie is just going to tell you what happened anyway. I want them to work in tandem with each other, not having one supersede the other. I know that most people don't want to read the books and only watch the movies, and that's fine, you can, but I don't believe that it should come at the price of the books being seen as unimportant, that's why I'm so against the popular opinion that if the movie doesn't tell me what I need to know then it's a bad film. The movies shouldn't have to tell you everything that you need to know, that's the beauty of an expanded universe, that you can tell the stories that weren't shown in the movies, and explain who the characters are.

While yes, you can do that in the movies, I don't think that it should always be the case, if the story as presented in the movie doesn't absolutely need all the info that the canon can provide right then and there then it shouldn't happen on screen. However, if knowing a character's backstory is hugely important then sure, show it on the big screen to the degree that is required to catch the audience up, but make it feel organic with the rest of the movie because if they just randomly show a clip that was from a book I already read, then I would consider that scene a waste because it's something that was already shown to us in another source of canon in a much larger way with more context. I don't want the people who claim that the movies should be the end all be all of Star Wars to get their way because I feel like it would cheapen the overall series. I look forward to getting the new books. Heck, this series is what got me into reading in the first place, so yeah, I'm a little protective of the books. It might also stem from the fact that I missed out on Legends back in the day, and when I see people saying that the books should be irrelevant or that you shouldn't need to read them to understand the series I start to panic a bit because I don't want to see them die out just because famous nobodies feel like the movies should be the most imporant, I feel like they believe that they are somehow entitled to the knowledge simply because they aren't following the canon as much as some of us are.

zchmrkenhoff likes this.
  7. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm not sure if you were countering me or agreeing with me but I basically want the same thing haha.

8. Shadowrain10

Sep 12, 2017
    I thought you were countering me, so I was trying to explain my reasoning. :p

Xander Vos likes this.
  9. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    No! If anything I was trying to suggest more ways to encourage people to read the books. :)

zchmrkenhoff and Shadowrain10 like this.
  10. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    Well said. I'm gonna stick around and reserve full judgement till Ep. IX. After that, we'll see. My hopes aren't all that high, however.

The ST is definitely encouraging me to read the Legends books. If only to see what could've been.

Kind of makes me wish they went the LOTR, Hobbit, HP angle. I found an interesting fanmade online film on YouTube regarding Jaina and Caedus/Jacen's duel, it definitely had that spark.

Question is with Carrie, Ford and Mark as old as they are, which ones would they have used?

11. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I don't really get the instinct to keep Legends but adapt its stories into movies... they wouldn't be straight adaptations; there would have to be changes and alterations, which would render the original stories non-canon in lieu of the films. So the established continuity would still be overwritten and the franchise would exist in the same weird limbo as Harry Potter and others were the books and the films are both taken into account despite being at odds with a lot of the details.

12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Children of the Jedi, Planet of Twilight, and The Crystal Star

Xander Vos and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Nothing but respect for MY sequel trilogy.

14. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    I dunno, the OT trio aren't aged as much. And peoples' gripes with CGI mean they'd probably object to making them younger.

15. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Film trumps prose in franchise adaptations. Slaves of the Republic in TCW was an adaptation of the tie in comic, but the other tie in comics still remained canon to Legends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

16. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    The episodes came out before the Legends switchover, so they overwrote and replaced the comics in that timeline, meaning the original story was removed from canon; the same would happen to any books adapted into films, so it's an odd choice for those who want the EU timeline preserved.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    wasn't the carbonite aspect from the Citadel episodes originally in that comics, then used in the Citadel episodes of the show, then the comic itself was adapted?

18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Considering the ages of the actors, they could have easily set the sequel trilogy at 45 ABY. Just say Han and Leia's adult daughter is running off somewhere, and have Rey a new upcoming member of the Jedi a la Harry Potter. Snoke and the First Order could still have been intact with the villain being perhaps Ben Skywalker. They'd just have to decanonize Legacy.

Xander Vos likes this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Chewbacca is dead

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Ouch, forgot about that one :chewie:

Han: Chewie is that you?? Snoke imprisoned and enslaved you for 20 years to build Starkiller Base? I'm so sorry, we all thought you were dead back during the Sernpidal incident!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  21. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    No it isn't. Having the legends books be the basis of a loose adaptation is far more preferable as there would still be a sense of familiarity even if you used, say, LotF but changed key aspects which meant large chunks of the EU was obsolete (e.g no Centerpoint station, no YV invasion, Chewie still alive) but kept fundamental tenants (Luke married with a son, leader of a new Jedi order, Leia a Jedi knight with two children, central government back on coruscant).

22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    A broad strokes adaptation, like the comic book films keep broad strokes in common with the comics while not following their exact continuity. They should have gone with this for Star Wars.

Xander Vos likes this.
  23. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    It would also mean not all legends books would be done away with. Basically all books PRE-TPM could (and really should have been) be left in.

sidv88 likes this.
  24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    And adaptations of books won't necessarily lessen sales. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings films are adaptations of novels everyone knows about, but made a LOT of money.

No one stayed home from LOTR films because they could just read the book. Instead, fans were excited about seeing this scene from the book in the movie, etc.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Xander Vos likes this.
  25. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Definitely. Bloodline is one of my favorite Canon Star Wars books, and the Poe Dameron comic series is one of my favorite runs in the Star Wars comics, which seems to get better as time goes on. I even rather like The Legends of Luke Skywalker, with the exception of a story or two. The fact that they were all so good in their own ways, building up my interest in the lore of the sequel trilogy, made my disappointment in TLJ that much worse.

I'm still looking forward to seeing how the Poe Dameron series wraps up, especially since I think Charles Soule is the best Star Wars writer at Marvel.Moving forward however, I just don't feel that excitement that I did before TLJ.

MasterPrince713 likes this.