main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey's New Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BucMan-55, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    At the end of the film Rey is holding both halves of Anakin's lightsaber on the Falcon. You can see the crystal poking out of one, but it doesn't appear to be damaged.

Luke'sSeveredHand and dekaneas like this.
  2. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    Agreed. It's really a can't-lose situation for JJ, and it just depends on which way they want to take the story.

If it's new and different, they'll market the hell out of it. It will further emphasize moving away from the Skywalker saga and toward new stories. And it will further Rey's own stamp on the franchise.

If it's the Skywalker blade, they'll market the hell out of it. Anakin's saber becomes even more of an Excalibur character in its own right, and it will fit into the larger story in some special way. Rey and Ren have already fought over it in both TFA and TLJ. Continuing that narrative struggle would maintain consistency throughout the ST.

Could be really cool either way. Just like the rest of IX though, it's wide open for them to do whatever they want.

Mostly Handless and cerealbox like this.
  3. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017
    For those who brought up a lightsaber pike, there is a really cool SWTOR cinematic trailer that showcases one. The main character, Senya Tirall, looks very similar to Rey, and the way she uses her lightsaber pike reminds me of Rey's fighting style in both TFA an TLJ. Personally, I think it would be really cool to see Rey use a similar weapon.

Here is the video:

3:15 Primary Lightsaber Fight
    4:52 Better View of the Lightsaber Pike Construction

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Revanfan1 and Gemlake like this.
  4. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I've sensed a lot of Lord of the Rings echos in the story of the ST. Not direct analogues, of course, but echoes... hints. The Skywalker saber has been compared to Excalibur, and for good reason, but I think it now carries echoes of Narsil, the blade that was broken. It's the great heroes weapon... tinged with betrayal, and a fall into darkness for one of its owners. Now Rey holds the sharps to Narsil and I'd like to see them pick up that echo and see the lightsaber reforged as the Star Wars version of Anduril.... and old artifact that becomes a new artifact. We often see ancient talismans and artifacts appear in fantasy, but I think it could be really cool if we see how such a legendary thing comes to be. In that sense, I hope they keep the saber in a reasonably traditional configuration.... single bladed, intended to be used like a sword. But I wouldn't mind it taking on some unique flavor to differentiate it. Perhaps it has the crossguard vents like Kylo's due to the crystal being cracked. Perhaps it's color changes due to something unique about Rey and how she builds/repairs it. But some linking of the old and new is called for here, I think.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Single bladed blue lightsaber that uses Anakin’s crystal. Just being realistic

6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Since she had the Skywalker saber at the end even though it is split in two, I think they'll have her "reforge" the same saber, but maybe it crackles and sizzles more like Kylo's does. Not quite that much, but a little bit of that instability. It would be a nice mirror of Kylo's saber.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Luke'sSeveredHand and yanote like this.
  7. Gemlake

Gemlake Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2015
    I think JJ will want to create something never seen before. He has freedom to experiment, given that Rey must repair the lightsaber on her own.
    Maybe a curved lightsaber? Similar to a Japanese sword? I also like the idea of a multicolored, double lightsaber. This is one of the first pieces of concept art created for TFA:

[​IMG]

The story group probably wouldn't allow the actual blade to bend, but just for fun:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I feel like the Skywalker saber breaking is supposed to symbolize the Skywalker Saga coming to a close. It's been a through line connecting one generation of heroes to the next and is now permanently broken. So personally I don't think it'll be reforged. I expect Rey will build a new lightsaber.

Revanfan1 and Mostly Handless like this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Double bladed yellow lightsaber!

10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    But she'll totally steal the crystal from it, just like she stole the Sacred Jedi Texts! And, she was so mad at Finn for stealing Poe's jacket. What a hypocrite. :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  11. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I think a yellow lightsaber would suit her. I know that won't happen, but I think it would be cool.:)

12. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    What I think would work best thematically, would be:
    • At first, Rey disregards the broken saber. (She thinks, "It's too damaged," "Let the past die," "I can build one on my own")
    • She crafts a completely new saber on her own, but in the mid-point of the film, it shatters and she is back to square one.
    • She then takes her knowledge gained from her experiences and rebuilds the broken one.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    And she worked for Unkar Plutt, who she knew stole the Falcon from Ducain.

14. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    Maybe she could have an unstable blue saber with a cross guard. Like the good guy version of Kylo's saber.

bluealien1 likes this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And she stole that, too. SHE'S HABITUAL!:)

No, but seriously, I vote for double-bladed blue lightsaber.
    [​IMG]

Gemlake and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I vote for this also.

Gemlake likes this.
  17. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I can see the symbolism in that, but I also took it as a mirroring of Anakin's saber breaking in AOTC.

18. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I am going to guess a double bladed one too - blue colour from Anakin/Luke's crystal.

She is used to using a staff - so double bladed lightsaber would make alot of sense.

19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Whatever type of lightsaber Rey has, it better be purple.

20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I hope that Rey has a double bladed light saber if only to see Kylo's "oh crap" face when she fires it up for the firs time. I can't tell if it would be better if both blades are activated at the same time or if it's more like Darth Maul's saber that lights up one at a time. I'm thinking it might be funny if she lights up one side and we hear Kylo make a dismissively smug comment about fixing that old relic of a lightsaber and then she fires up the second side and then his face drops and he gulps.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am seeing a new blue lightsaber.

22. Darth_Narcissist

Darth_Narcissist Jedi Knight

Feb 25, 2012

DAMN MAN every time I see these cut scenes from the old republic I wist they would make an animated series just like these cut scenes and that this game would be made for Play Station or Xbox

J7Luke likes this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    They are really good but really really expensive.

24. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I'd love for it to be shaped like the Darksaber
    [​IMG]

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think that would be to much of a daparture in style for the general audience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.