main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit "Superman" Luke of the EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthPhilosopher, Jan 9, 2018.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    These 3 guys are the Legends sequel trilogy. The Thrawn Trilogy is Legends Episode 7, the Dark Empire Trilogy is Legends Episode 8, and the Jedi Academy Trilogy is Legends Episode 9.

We get the rise of the New Republic, answers to plot threads from ROTS (that didn't even exist at the time of publishing!), and re-establishment of the Jedi.

In canon so far we get the destruction of the New Republic, no answers to ROTS (just more questions like who is Snoke), and the destruction of the Jedi down to some books and a girl who only ever got 2 lessons and will have to self-train from hereon out.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    My thoughts exactly.

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The only way that the sequel trilogy would have continued in that way was if Episode VII was released in 1986, Episode VIII in 1989, and Episode IX in 1992.

Return of the Jedi was originally intended to deal Vader, but the Emperor and Luke's sister Nellith would have been brought into the sequel trilogy, per Gary Kurtz.

Jedi Academy is a pretty garbage denouement though. There's not really a flow to that trilogy at all, especially since Dark Empire never really fit given it was written with placement about a year after Return of the Jedi, and the New Republic is suddenly reduced back to the Rebel Alliance hiding at a secret base again after controlling a majority of the galaxy less than a year prior after it was moved to keep it consistent with Zahn.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  4. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    Ooh. Interesting. I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

5. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    And how is this different from what we're getting now?

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I see your point but I still think that the idea of him choosing to move on is more accurate to what we saw for a number of reasons. First of all, yes, he looked completely exhausted after the projection, but just moments later, by the time he'd climbed back on the rock and begun meditating, he didn't look so exhausted. Second, I think a short time jump was implied, because after the shot of him collapsing, there's an "exterior" shot of the island, before cutting back to Luke. So I think a short time passed in which he recovered. Third, Rey and Leia's conversation about Luke dying peacefully implies to me that he was not hurt or exhausted when he died.

Now given, Kylo's line about "the strain would kill you" does seem to be foreshadowing...but I choose not to see it that way. Otherwise, he wouldn't have tried to reach out and mind trick her because the strain would've killed him. I think it has to do more with Rey's lack of training. But I guess that also goes back to the idea that channeling a certain amount of Force energy would be harmful and that not seeming to line up with ESB, so...I don't know.

7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Kylo in 9: Look at me project across the galaxy without dying!

Rey: How??

Kylo: Luke was only Jedi Master level 40. His HP was too low. After grinding I am now Dark Jedi Master level 90!!!

Rey: :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

8. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Yeah but at least in canon the promise of a starship hyperspacing into something is delivered on.

Any universe in which Empire's End, any of the JAT, or even erm, Luuke is gone is a marked improvement

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    but Luke walks on lava

you won't find that in nucanon

10. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Ummm...he does something similar in Legends of Luke Skywalker!

11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Dr. Cylo says hi ;)

Yeah the Legends Executor's shields withstood 3 star destroyers hyperjumping into it in Escape to Hoth.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

12. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Even if that were true (and you have a long way to go to convince me that it is; "preserve one's own life for as long as possible" doesn't appear in the version of the Jedi Code I'm familiar with), it's debatable that passing into the Force as Luke did is "dying" in any way that actually matters. There is no death, there is the Force.

13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    LEGENDS of Luke Skywalker.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I agree that's a sequel trilogy that grows naturally from the end of Return of the Jedi (and I absolutely loved when they came out and still do!) but my only small quibble is that it's missing the generational jump aspect that defines the Star Wars trilogies. But as a "somewhat immediate sequel to Return of the Jedi" trilogy, it's pretty solid.

15. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    That book title is such a tease. I honestly thought I'd open it and see warped stories from the old Legends that were semi-brought back into canon in the guise of the myths that Rey heard about. (Shadows of Mindor, Luke v Luuke, things like that).

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Bantam era inconsistencies I think aren't that much an issue to solve-to be sure the critical reader will find them but there not that bad an issue-and most of the time can be retconned easily or creatively depending on the individual inconsistency.

But they did expand the story-Jaina and Jacen had adventures, there were new threats-Ssi Ruu, Nagai, Yevetha, and things besides OT 2.0 happened.

17. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    This is a false equivalence. The last JA book came out in 1994. More than a decade after Return of the Jedi.

We're currently not even done with the sequel trilogy.

So let's hold off on the prophetic judgement a while longer hmm?

18. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Thanks for the responses people.

I'm surprised by those who think the post-NJO Luke is more in-character than TLJ Luke. I mean it sounds like they essentially threw out things about his character they merely made more open to interpretation in TLJ.

I am fine with Luke's portrayal on Pillio. He only kills when he is attacked, and I view his assistance of Del as him caring for his enemies (but naturally he can only help another if they are willing to be helped, not that he just kills or disregards people who don't ask for help).

Ehh, I don't think the ST is any less of a 'natural continuation' then those examples you give.

Granted, we don't have IX yet, but the ST basically follows this structure:

7: Fascism and evil still haunts the Republic and the galaxy, striking from the shadows. The Jedi are sought out to assist and return, both by the good guys (Republic and Resistance) and the Force itself (by awakening Rey) to defend the galaxy.
    8: A debate which centres around 'passing on what you have learned' and the responsible you have if you fail. Whether the Jedi should be restored given they can give rise to essential walking genocide machines. Are the Jedi essential to the light? Whether their failures mean they are actually too dangerous to restore. The answer is yes they should be resorted, but not because of their practical abilities, but because of the inspiration and leadership they provide for the galaxy. Luke becomes Space Jesus, with his apprentice and new disciple beginning of the new Jedi.
    9: The new Jedi, taught by Luke's failures and inspired by his example, are rebuilt?

I think that's a natural continuation.

19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    You're saying there is a natural continuation where writer of 7 (JJ) doesn't know what writer of 8 (Rian) will do and vice versa? Rian didn't even know why Luke was on that island. JJ didn't know and left it up to Rian to figure out. This is all in interviews.

9 is a who knows what now.

7 clearly had other ideas for Snoke and Rey's parents that 8 went in the complete opposite direction of. There's no "map it all out" structure here so if things come off as a natural continuation, it's more an illusion and a coincidence than any actual overall writing structure.

20. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    You mean like the relationship between Zhan, Vietch and Anderson's writing?

Whether or not the whole thing was planned out before hand doesn't mean it's not a 'real' (whatever that even means) natural continuation. I mean most of the best continuations in SW weren't planned out before hand...while stuff that has been has felt disjointed.

Darth_Duck and Outsourced like this.
  21. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    There's always a bit of truth in legends.

Revanfan1 and Outsourced like this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Wait the EU was planned out?

man that makes it even worse

Darth_Duck likes this.
  23. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Yeah right? People act like The Last Jedi was a giant middle finger to Abrams (forgetting that Abrams is a producer and publicly voiced his approval of the script since the beginning), then forget the torturous discontinuity between the Thrawn trilogy and Dark Empire cuz Zahn refused to play ball.

24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    They are both disconnected. Neither is organic. In the end, what does one find more enjoyable? I know what I find more enjoyable, it's not 7 and 8. If I have to apologize to disappointed friends on these movies and explain "That really wasn't Star Wars"... Yeah :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ImpKnight likes this.