main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #7-12: The Dying Light/ Legacy's End (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 27, 2017.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    While it isn't explicitly stated, the implications are that Vader killed her. Vader ignited his lightsaber in front of Jocasta and she replied "Ah. So be it", seemingly content with her imminent death - something she attempted to do herself mere minutes before. The vehicle was then crashed and obliterated, most likely to cover the body and any physical evidence that she was killed by a lightsaber. In addition, I can't think of a reason why would Vader let her live.
    More like "New Darth Vader Comic Helps Explain How Rey Is Force Sensitive" The children on the list are nothing more special than Luke, Leia, Anakin, Ezra or any Force sensitive child ever. To have Force abilities one needs proper training. Rey, as far as shown in the movies lacks that for the most part. And I'm saying that as a Rey fan and someone who likes TLJ, no need to pretend like that's not an issue with the character.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    La Calavera and tatooinesandworm like this.
  2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    According to ESB Luke picked up the ability to pull lightsabers out of the snow just fine on his own, so training doesn't really correlate to abilities or powers. Harnessing or focusing that power into the right channels is something else.

ManWithoutAStar likes this.
  3. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    I would say yes, absolutely. Both because of what others pointed out and because that's where the themes of that whole sequence are pointing:

Though she dies, she wins. She is not imprisoned/interrogated, the Emperor never sees that list (which was half her reason for wanting to remove it from the Temple), and her library of stuff is not found until Luke. It's all very Jedi, and I'm personally satisfied with it as a respectful ending for the character rather than some of the sick, stupid torture fantasies I've seen floating around.

4. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    so luke skywalker found all of those jedi holocrons? Cool!

5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm guessing the very last panel is
    Luke after ROTJ as I don't think him finding a treasure trove of Jedi artefacts would fit well otherwise.

Obi Wan: Luke you must go the Dagobah system there you will learn from Yoda, the jedi master who instructed me.
    Luke: Do I though? I mean just last week I found this cave of Holocrons....

Also was that clone commander that Vader killed officially Fox? If so I'll be heartbroken, he was my favourite clone as a kid :(

kalzeth likes this.
  6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Jocasta was absolutely amazing in this one. Playing off Vader's insecurity like that was brilliant. Lots of cool stuff in this issue.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Jocasta Nu, of ALL people, using "begs the question" incorrectly in the colloquial manner?

[face_not_talking]

Other than that she was pretty awesome.

8. Jordan D. White

Jordan D. White Marvel Comics Editor VIP

Mar 26, 2015
    I am ashamed I let that through.

9. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I have a question about the last page of this issue :)
    Is it set between IV and V, V and VI or is it after the OT ? (If you can reveal that yet)

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  10. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I'm pretty sure he's dead, and for what it's worth Wookieepedia has updated his page to say so. I typically love clones but for me Fox just never did anything right. He foolishly let in Grievous' undercover bomb droids, he was a jerk to Ahsoka and Anakin in the Ahsoka Fugitive arc without really accomplishing anything, and he killed my favourite clone when he was so closing to saving the Jedi and the Republic. So yeah, I'm not too sad to see him go. :p

Revanfan1 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  11. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Can't say a 100% but I would guess it is after Ep. VI. Luke looked quite a bit older than he was in any of the OT movies so I am assuming it is around the same time he takes Ben as a student (that may have been the way he tracked down other students as well that he said he trained in TLJ).

Of course all the people on that list would be grown by then but those people's kids could have become Luke's other students.

12. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    You can see the passage of time also by the spider webs.

Nu did play off of Anakin/Vader's insecurities and fears. She gave away Anakin's identity infront of the Clones, he murdered them. He also killed her mainly because he knew what the Emperor wanted from her and the chip, more like him. Meaning more Inquisitors and possibly a new apprentice, replacement. Vader knows he's expendable and replaceable. Before all of this he was naive and taken off guard previously with the debut of the Grand Inquisitor - and only after Nu spelled it out for him, he was really doubly naive and deluded.

I guess this is the reason they're giving for the limited number of Inquisitors. Although Rebels and and even project Harvester made it clear they've still found a way to recruit Force sensitives. The Inquisitors are part seeker too for younglings. It slowed the process but it did not stop it completely. Plus Vader gave the GI the mission of recruit or eliminate the Jedi back in Season One.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  13. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I really enjoyed this issue and this arc as a whole. The art style is amazing and I thought the end of the arc was a fitting way to end it. I'm really looking forward to Issue 11.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    So, does this mean Vader wasn't aware the inquisitors had a second mission: to find Forces sensitives children? Or did he warm up to the idea?

15. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I enjoyed this issue, but
    still frustrated at the way Soule depicts Vader with clones and their relationship.

Plus I don’t know why should be any surprise to the clones that Vader is Anakin Skywalker. They fought with him at the Jedi Temple. Did all the clone security at Coruscant completely missed the Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker marching into the Temple with the 501st?

16. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I'm assuming he eventually warmed up to that idea. It's good to know that the writer is giving some room for character development for Vader, at least.

17. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I agree with you that we're yet to see proper Vader & clones interaction. There is still time to do that, however.

Come to think of your second point, I believe you are correct - pretty much everyone in the 501st should know that Anakin Skywalker led them during Operation Knightfall. Question is, did they call him Lord Vader even then, or General Skywalker?

kalzeth and SilentGuy66 like this.
  18. Jordan D. White

Jordan D. White Marvel Comics Editor VIP

Mar 26, 2015
    That last page takes place over many years, and the last panel is Post-RotJ.
    When the next issue starts, we are back in the "present" of the series, just after RotS, though.

19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks for doing this. I was thinking when I saw that panel that someone would do the work. :)
    Do these name have any meaning to anyone? Something mentioned in new canon or Legends? Not sure why you're happy with one name in particular, @Senpezeco

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Senpezeco likes this.
  20. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
  21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Sallah: The cat? You are named after the cat? Haha!
    Scrape: I have a lot of fond memories of that cat.

22. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    It re-canonizes a planet from Legends
    Cathar

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Another very fine addition. I like it when there is more dialogue and insight into what goes on in the character's heads. Jocasta really has grown on me. She was an inconsequential buffoon in AOTC but much more interesting here. Maybe not the smartest, but a very brave woman.

"You did this yourself."
    It seems Vader didn't enjoy killing those clones as he already knows Jocasta doesn't care about them.

Hopefully Vader doesn't get to kill these kids. It would be a bit weird... ;)

Jordan D. White likes this.
  24. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    If I were a Star Wars author I would soooo name some random background character after myself, that would be the ultimate dream lol.

Aside from that, maybe (TLJ spoilers)
    the authors son and cat end up joining Rey's new Jedi order. :p

Revanfan1 and Grievousdude like this.
  25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I think he wanted to blame their
    (Shock Troopers) murders on Nu to make her feel bad and responsible - you know all that Jedi sensitivity and all, but she had none of it for them cause they were all traitors and chose their path(although she had no idea about the bio-chip nor did Vader).