main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    They would still need manpower to crew the ships. They're down to the handful of Resistance members that got away on the Falcon.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The good guys will ultimately muster as many ships as the plot demands in IX. The good news is that there are reasonable explanations to this if this is the outcome. Detached New Republic task forces, planetary security fleets, independent system navies, etc. Hell, considering the mentions of Mon Cala and Virgillia being top Resistance supporters among the New Republic membership, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Mon Calamari saw the rise of the First Order and were like "hmm, maybe we should setup secret shipyards again". Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if these yards (planetary owned or NR facilities) still exist, albeit inactive.

Send crews and resources and you can re-start ship production. Plus we know that there are New Republic scrap yards with inactive ships. Unless the FO has destroyed/occupied them all, I can see NR members or NR-sympathetic worlds rushing to arm them for combat and get them into hiding.

--Adm. Nick

3. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    That's good, it truly is, but the question I ask is how they can present this coming battle in a fashion that won't make it seem as though all the battles from the OT were for nothing?

Decommissioned ships against FO Star Destroyers; Sounds less like an epic battle and more a recipe for total and complete annihilation on the good guys' side.

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Easy:
    1. The original trilogy is about defeating the evil Empire.
    2. The prequel trilogy is about how the evil Empire came to be.
    3. The sequel trilogy appears to be about preventing another evil Empire from arising again.
    I mean...

TheRedBlade and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    they should have ewoks trained to activate the hyperdrive on decommissioned cruisers to kamikaze the FO

then when the FO brings some interdictor cruisers their whole plan falls apart

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I mean they can throw logs and rocks at them. It'll go great.

7. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2017
    I just want my eye candy. I'm a CGI addict. There. I said it.

8. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It would be like putting retrofitted passenger liners, exploration ships, and former civic towers into combat against purpose built Star Destroyers... ;)

--Adm. Nick

vncredleader and TheRedBlade like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That have a large, red 'shoot here' sign on them?

Oh wait, that's Star Wars: Battlefront 3....

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  10. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    You mean the one that was never released?

11. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Considering how badly EA screwed over everyone in Battlefront II, there may not be a new Star Wars game for at least a decade.

12. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    BS. Supply and demand. It's quite possible EA won't make it, but we will get another Star Wars game as long as the franchise prospers.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  13. knight-of-NJO

knight-of-NJO Jedi Master star 1

Apr 20, 2004
    BobaMatt, your description of the trilogies is spot on. It isn't just stopping the rise of a new empire, its also passing what was learned, repairing what the previous generation built and building something new on its foundation.

As to how the galaxy rallies I feel AdmiralNick is right that Leia's allies and other more vigilant sectors and systems maintained there own forces and are willing to take up the fight.

And who better to rally the galaxy, what could be a better and last greatest act, than for Leia herself to rally the NR Senate's Senate successors and its remaining forces together to battle the FO? Episode IX was supposed to be Leia's movie, I feel it was always written for her to take and hand over the reins of a rallies NR. It can still happen and I hope they go that route: what better was to end her story and honor Carrie Fisher at the same time?

14. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I'd prefer a Star Wars game that doesn't follow the modern model of pay2win or screw singleplayer, we can't give any grounds to those evil pirates! Can't have customizability either, because that would prevent DLC spam. I think the last games that didn't have that model were... Jedi Academy, Empire at War and the two original Battlefronts? So we haven't had a Star Wars game that utilizes the franchise to its full potential since the mid-2000s. TFU1 and 2 were alright, but they didn't really have much in terms of replayability.

patchworkz7 likes this.
  15. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    The Resistance is down to what's on the Falcon, but there's still the remains of the NR fleets and the allies that Leia tried to get to come to their aid in TLJ. She couldn't get help because their situation looked hopeless, but in a short time the miracle of them being saved (by Luke Skywalker who stood against an entire FO army) has spread and lit the spark again.

There's also everything from smugglers to Maz's contacts to mercenaries and more that could show up to fight the FO.

I'm not too worried about the heroes getting reinforcements because the Resistance was always a small black ops cell Leia was running, now that they're in the open and the FO have revealed their colours I don't doubt they'll soon have allies willing to join up, as well as being able to rejoin whatever is left of the NR's military, broken though it might be.

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I hope you're right.

That being said, we were perfectly poised for something like that at the end of RotJ, too. The ST could have quite easily opened onto a galaxy in which the Republic and First Order were but two of several powerful factions. I'm not sure why we needed this particular song and dance to explain how we got there. We already had the OT. :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I think that since Carrie (and Leia) are so iconic that she will most likely not just be "off screen" during IX. Don't get me wrong, I'd love the scenario you're laying out, but I do think it would be unlikely. Now, Leia's "legacy" in the Sequel Trilogy can be that she helped Poe Dameron learn what it is to be a true leader. Poe is now the defacto head of the Resistance. He is the son of a Rebel fighter pilot and Rebel commando. He is a former New Republic wing commander. If there is anyone who fits the mold of post-ST leader in a reformed Republic, it's Poe.

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Though Poe will also have to live with the fact that he is responsible for the destruction of most of the Resistance, due to his actions in TLJ.

I can't help but feel like they're going to pull a bait-and-switch with us, and Poe will die.

AusStig likes this.
  19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    No. So help me, if Poe freaking dies, I will riot.

20. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Poe's action helped destroy that...Destroyer with the giant gun. Which would have utterly wiped out the Resistance, and especially the main Cruiser--I believe the primary target, right then. That was my thought after my second watch of the film.

I think part of the point was Poe's development from reckless jackass to more responsible leader. But killing the Resistance...I don't think that's accurate.

As for how much Resistance is left... weren't there some on missions or something elsewhere? Not a giant number. But I think that was mentioned somewhere. Snap may have been with that group. I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ bring Snap back.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Jedi Ben and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, it worth noting that regardless of whether the bomber attack happened or not, the Resistance fleet was doomed. The main difference being that had the siege dreadnought not been destroyed over D'Qar the Resistance Navy would have been snuffed out the second they came out of hyperspace. So I do believe Poe's action helped avert this outcome, but he also proved he had ALOT to learn about being a leader and following orders.

--Adm. Nick

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    How dare you be so middle of the road Nick! That's my territory and I'm not sharing.

23. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Better that everyone was middle of the road so I don't have to snark at the ridiculousness of the TLJ haters on these threads.

24. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    One thing this us historian-folk often had to remind people of is that people do not operate with foreknowledge of how things will go in the future. When the last outbreak of Plague sputtered out during the Middle Ages, there was no guarantee it wouldn't be back in a couple of months. No one really KNEW that Yorktown would be the last major battle fought in America during the Revolutionary War. Likewise, Leia was 10000% percent right to be furious and demote Poe for wasting half of the Resistance's fighter force on a dreadnought that the FO can probably replace a dozen times over...right up until the point where the FO fleet does the impossible and tracks them through hyperspace, where a dreadnought probably could have one-shotted the Raddus immediately.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  25. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    That, or we get what many of us were asking for after the humiliation conga of the post-NJO Galactic Alliance in Legends ... Lando comes out of retirement and takes charge. I would not be surprised if the sequel hook at the end of Battlefront II's "Resurrection" DLC winds up having Shriv and Zay track him down during the events of TLJ.

That aside, I could see them having Leia in command offscreen rather than killing her off in the opening crawl of Episode IX.