main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Gruden is such a boss, makes you wanna run through walls for the dude

AND AS I'M TYPING THIS HE COMPLIMENTS CINCY'S D OH STAHP JON

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm looking at the point spreads for this weekend's playoff games.

The Eagles are a three point favorite over the Falcons. I'm looking the Falcons to upset the Eagles because of their performance against the Rams and Wentz being injured. Plus, the Falcons have a chip on their shoulders after collapsing in the Super Bowl last year so they have that motivation going into the game.

The Patriots have a 13.5 spread over the Titans. That seems about right to me. I think the Titans win over the Chiefs was very fortuitous, especially with Mariota throwing a TD to himself. The Patriots shouldn't have any trouble with the Titans.

The Steelers are a 7.5 point favorite of the Jags. This seems about right too. I don't imagine Big Ben throwing five interceptions again. Bortles didn't look comfortable in his first playoff game and I don't expect him to feel comfortable in his second either.

The Vikings are have a 4.5 point spread over the Saints. I think the Saints will upset the Vikings. I'm just not sold on Keenum as he has had a journeyman NFL career. Basically, I'm betting on Brees over Keenum.

4. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    You're mistaken. Falcons are the favorite.

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I sit corrected. Makes sense. I'm picking the Falcons to win.

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Patriots over Titans
    Steelers over Jaguars
    Falcons over Eagles
    Saints over Vikings

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I so don't want a rematch of last year's Super Bowl, but after this weekend it looks like we'll be taking another step closer to a rematch.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    dp, are you excited about the game your jaguars played on sunday?

i'm sticking with pats/saints.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm trying to decide if this is some dig, or you actually hit your head harder than we thought?

[​IMG]

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Eagles over Falcons
    Titans over Patriots
    Steelers over Jaguars
    Vikings over Saints

...I admit this might be more of a wish list than a prediction, at least in all except the Steelers-Jaguars game.

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I like your wish list. At least 3 out of the 4. I'd prefer the Jags to beat the Steelers.

I just heard that the Panthers have hired Norv Turner as offensive coordinator after firing Mike Shula yesterday. IIRC, the year Turner was the 49ers' OC was the best year statistically for Alex Smith in a Niners uniform.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Well, a 2 time Super Bowl Champion as an Offensive Coordinator is always an upgrade at the same position. Just ask the Triplets and the Great Wall of Dallas.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, and with Gruden and Turner coming back into the NFL, everything old is new again.

Speaking of Gruden, one of things that came about this press conference yesterday was how the NFL rules changed since he was the head coach of the Raiders. One of those rules changes being the amount of time an organization can work with a player in the "off season." Meaning, if the rules weren't change Gruden would be working with Derek Carr right now. And speaking of Carr, there's an article out locally noting that Carr's work habits and ethics will need to change now that Gruden is the head coach in that he'll have to set an example for the rest of the team and be more disciple in his approach. I remember one of the issues between Gruden and Al Davis was Al's interference and allowing star players to slack off.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Uh, being the OC for the Cowboys' Super Bowl teams over 20 years ago doesn't necessarily make Turner an upgrade. And maybe the personnel had more to do with the Cowboys' success than Turner did. Carolina doesn't have the Great Wall, or Michael Irvin, or Emmitt Smith, or a quarterback similar to Troy Aikman.

Norv runs a very old school (ie, simple), run heavy, play action throw it over the top offense that basically hasn't changed since his Dallas days, and that didn't work out all that great in Minnesota. The terrible passing offense may have been because Teddy never threw deep, and that's crucial to Norv's offense. Apparently there was big drama over it which led to Norv quitting. Shurmur switched to a short passing game.

I'm not sure how well it will work in Carolina. Cam certainly prefers to throw it deep, so that's a positive. Not sure if Norv can make use of Cam's mobility, which is a bit of a necessity since Cam isn't a great passer. He's not going to stand back there and deliver accurate passes like Aikman did.

Fix the damn o-line first (gotta find replacements for the Kalil bros), and get some speedy and/or big receivers for Cam to throw deep to. He needs them tall because he overthrows all the damn time.

We'll see. I'm not so sure about Norv anymore, he hasn't been all that successful lately and his offense hasn't changed at all over the years.

You remember very incorrectly, it was one of his worst. Granted, it was only his second season.

Brad Johnson probably had his best year under Norv in Washington. Despite having a very weak arm, Brad Johnson threw a very nice deep ball (great arc, got it out early), which works great in Norv's system. They went crazy throwing deep that year.

He had Kerry Collins (huge arm) in Oakland and, again, threw deep like there was no tomorrow.

Get ready for Air Coryell, Tracy. The ball is going deep.

Rew and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Ok. Prior to the 49ers 2011 season. After Turner left, Smith numbers went down.

16. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    What? Did you even read what I said? His year under Turner was one of the worst in his career, but maybe because it was only Smith's second season in the NFL. After Turner left, Smith's numbers went steadily up. Smith was not successful under Norv, which makes sense because Norv wants to throw deep and Smith never has.

Norv was in SF in 2006. Smith was injured in 07 and 08, but got better in 09, 10, 11 and 12, well after Norv was gone.

17. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yes, I read what you said and I'm not sure where you came to that conclusion as it's hardly his worse. As far as passing yards (which is the leading static for QBs as it's the equivalent of Rushing Yards and Receiving Yards) 2006 was his best before 2011, Jim Harbaugh's first year as 49ers head coach.

Here are Alex Smith's career stats between 2006 to 2010:

2006: 2,890 passing yards
    2007: 914 passing yards
    2008: IR
    2009: 2,350 passing yards
    2010: 2,370 passing yards

In 2010 Alex Smith said that his best year with the 49ers was under Norv Turner as noted in an article:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  19. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Oh, you only judge by total passing yards. I'm moving on.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    :p

But getting back to Norv Turner and his ability and talent as an offensive coordinator, I do believe he'll be good for Cam as some of the best years for Philip Rivers was under Norv.

21. Knoah

Knoah Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2017
    Carolina is moving away from tall, slow WRs. Thats why they drafted Curtis Samuel before the season then later traded Kelvin Benjamin. Cams best year was 2015 when he no name guys that were atleast fast and could get separation. Next year Samuel and Byrd will be back (lost during the season to injuries) and they should draft another WR.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  22. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    idk who the hell you are but I came here to say the exact same thing haha. It's also how they utilized McCaffrey for much of the year (getting him matched up against LBs and leveraging his speed against them).

Cam's deep ball + McCaffrey out of the backfield + Cam's running ability is a nightmare for a defense. Also need to shore up the O-line to allow those WR's to streak down the field, but yeah I'm excited for more SuperCam in the future!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    This Rooney Rule has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Not the best day to make that comment.

Meanwhile the Bears new HC being the same age as me and graduating the same of high school is destroying me LOL!