main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Discussion Time: Let's Talk About Drafts - next draft?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Sep 13, 2007.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    hot take incoming

too complex

we generally struggle to even finish these drafts. inty's done a great job with the mini drafts, pushing them forward with a small, committed set of GMs and judges. i'd say keep that formula, and keep the rules simple.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Oh. I like that. It's a good work-around. Again, leaves you with the ability to improve your team or weaken the other team, but not too much.

Edit: that was to DP4M, not heelsy

3. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    What about an ewok draft?

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I pick Corpsy

5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Would anyone be up for another WhatIf Sports Game? Another NBA or an MLB?

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i'm down - i vote hoops

7. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    I'd be down for a sports draft. I had floated some ideas for a different NBA draft a good while back, but no one said anything so I figured the interest was dead lol.

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Show of hands - who is in for an NBA Draft?

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  10. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
  11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Not me. Don't know much about amerisport.

Is William the fridge perry still playing?

heels1785 likes this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Not I.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    But you're still in for the Broadway Musical Character Draft, right?

a star war likes this.
  14. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    100%. And naturally you'll do it when I travel. :p

16. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
  17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  18. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I'm gonna pass (but you know I'll be lurking and liking everyone's posts), thanks for the heads up though

19. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    I think some limitations would be cool. Maybe limit everyone to just two hall of famers and the rest of the roster has to be filled with non all stars? Could be fun if everyone likes to research, and make it a little more challenging. Just my two cents.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    That's an interesting suggestion, but what do you do with active players and those who are retired, but not yet eligible for the hall of fame? I don't think it's quite fair to give someone peak Dirk and peak LeBron and peak KD on a technicality, when the rules would say you need to dig deeper and find someone else.

The one time we did restrictions, we did a single season of eligibility only (current season at the time)

If we go with a four-player, I think it might be fun to go with a restriction where the first player to pick in the round determines that all other picks in that round have to be from the same franchise. Then, each round, we change who goes first to dictate terms.

ex: if heels, asw, dlote, and rx are the four, the draft order would go like this:

Round 1:

heels
    asw
    dlote
    rx

Round 2:

rx
    dlote
    asw
    heels

Round 3:

asw
    heels
    rx
    dlote

Round 4:

dlote
    rx
    heels
    asw

Then, we'd do that pattern three times for 12 total rounds. so in Round one, if heels picked 1997 Michael Jordan, everyone else would have to pick a member of the bulls. And in round 2, if rx picked 2007 LeBron, everyone else would have to pick Cavaliers that round. It might sound cumbersome and complicated, but I think it works out nicely.

Another thought I had was to limit everyone to one pick from each Franchise. So, if you pick Larry Bird, you can't select another Celtic.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    how about a comic book character draft, but instead of fighting they have to play basketball?

i would probably be in for another nba draft, always had fun in the past. i like your rotating franchises idea.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  22. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I pick reed

tom likes this.
  23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Hoping we'll write your pitch for Space Jam 2?

tom likes this.